Hgv Lanes In Fuel Stations

JTcamer

Hello,

Does anyone use the HGV bays in fuel stations to fill up when they are towing?

The first time I towed I drove on the forecourt to fill up and when I left the rear of my caravan swung round and nearly clipped a car.

Another time on the A1 I drove on the forecourt to fill up and someone had park near the barrier on the way out so I couldn't make the turn without my caravan short cutting across a petrol pump so we had to get the driver to move.

Since then I have either filled up before we set off but on longer journeys we need to fill up again so sometimes when the forecourt looks tight I take the easy option and fill up in a HGV bay. Most filling stations are OK with this but some Shell station won't switch the pumps on so I have had to go somewhere else up the road.

My caravan is about 26ft with the draw bar and I tow it with an Xtrail so it is quite long and in a tight forecourt where you can't drive out straight it can be a bit unnerving and Mrs T sometimes has to get out to watch the back to make sure I don't wipe something out.

I've never thought to try it but the thing is there are a lot of trucks on the roads and they are doing a vital logistics job so to keep on time they need to be able to fuel and go not wait behind a line of caravanners.

In my opinion we should stick to the car pumps, I know it can be tricky at times but I try choose a garage with a good layout, if it looks tight I go to the next, as I usually head for fuel before I'm running out. I have a discovery 3 pulling my van so I know how tricky it can be maneuvering in some filling stations but I personally wouldn't use the HGV pumps :)

I have often thought about it.

As you say, the forecourts of the busy stations get very cluttered and if you take the furthest pump, it often means that the caravan blocks the nearest pump, thus occupying two pumps and irritating other motorists.

Also, I notice that as the layouts are designed for cars, the turns can be a bit onerous.

I used an HGV pump once when driving a Luton van. The pressure of the high delivery pump stirred up all the rubbish in the bottom of the tank and the van chugged for a while after.

Used them myself in the past JT but what you need to watch out for is the actual nozzle bore on HGV Pumps. They are larger than the normal nozzle found on most pumps. Depending on your vehicle you may actually have problems putting the nozzle in the fuel tank. Plus it can fill up a lot quicker due to the larger nozzle that can cause added problems whilst filling !! ;)

Grumpy Auld Smeesh. ...............

Ace Jubilee Statesman . ........... Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE Auto Sport . ..........

Used them myself in the past JT but what you need to watch out for is the actual nozzle bore on HGV Pumps. They are larger than the normal nozzle found on most pumps. Depending on your vehicle you may actually have problems putting the nozzle in the fuel tank. Smeesh. ...............

This happened to us on our recent trip on the continent - we pulled in to a motorway services (Shell) in Belgium and just drove onto the outside lane, as there looked more room there to manoeuvre (no mention of HGVs) but, after getting our card payment authorised at the terminal, we couldn't get the nozzle in the tank and hubby had to reverse out of the bay, with me holding up the incoming traffic, and move to another lane. We also had to get the card payment voided. All in all quite a frantic start to our hols - not to be repeated, I hasten to add - car lanes for us from then on!

I wouldn't recommend it !

normally at esso sites they wont authorise the pumps due to blowback!smile.gif

this occurs when the nozzle just fits the filler hole and doesnt give enough room for the vapour to escape,

the pressure builds up followed by the inevitable slug of diesel all over the person filing up biggrin.gif

could also damage your tank (splitting it or breaking the securing straps)

Hoggy

Yeah. ..sometimes they don't fit so well and the fuel does go in a bit fast. It is difficult to plan ahead if you don't know the area.

Once I had to unhook the caravan and leave it by the road in Appleby in Cumbria as there was no way it was going to go into the forecourt, maybe I am just a big wuss.

Ha-ha

Never thought of doing that.

I know the feeling of dread when you get funneled into a situation where you might have to reverse out.

Taking a wrong turn at the services and ending up in the car part of the parking, in the middle of the summer season, is another bum-clenching moment.

Yeah. ..sometimes they don't fit so well and the fuel does go in a bit fast. It is difficult to plan ahead if you don't know the area.

Once I had to unhook the caravan and leave it by the road in Appleby in Cumbria as there was no way it was going to go into the forecourt, maybe I am just a big wuss.

Hi

I use HGV lanes where possible as the pumps are easier to access and also the pump dispenses quicker - it is a very thick nozzle!

Note though many HGV pumps have to be pre authorised before the pmp works - you leave your credit card at the counter before the pump will work.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Hello,

Does anyone use the HGV bays in fuel stations to fill up when they are towing?

The first time I towed I drove on the forecourt to fill up and when I left the rear of my caravan swung round and nearly clipped a car.

Another time on the A1 I drove on the forecourt to fill up and someone had park near the barrier on the way out so I couldn't make the turn without my caravan short cutting across a petrol pump so we had to get the driver to move.

Since then I have either filled up before we set off but on longer journeys we need to fill up again so sometimes when the forecourt looks tight I take the easy option and fill up in a HGV bay. Most filling stations are OK with this but some Shell station won't switch the pumps on so I have had to go somewhere else up the road.

My caravan is about 26ft with the draw bar and I tow it with an Xtrail so it is quite long and in a tight forecourt where you can't drive out straight it can be a bit unnerving and Mrs T sometimes has to get out to watch the back to make sure I don't wipe something out.

Do not use them have towed for the last 20 years 40,000 miles in France and have never had a problem. I must be lucky or good driver :rolleyes:

Chris L

On the positive side the HGV pumps have the pins in the handle so you can flip the catch and let it fill on its own.

Matthew

On the positive side the HGV pumps have the pins in the handle so you can flip the catch and let it fill on its own.

The filler cap on my Disco is just the right size to let me do this on a standard pump :)

Filling stations should really provide a wide lane pump for towing vehicles but they have been the same design for years and I understand that it would cost them money so they probably never will. Perhaps they should bear it in mind when building new stations, but they likely won't do that either :lol:

I think we should have a sticky to petrol stations that have easy access and exits and which pumps. including pics.

as a bit like here

http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/topic/50780-refuelling-question/page__p__524160__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=524160

It's all about planning, I rarely need to fill up with the van on the back. I make sure I have a full tank before I depart and that should be good for about 350 - 400 miles.

If you do need to fill up just assess the petral station if posible before you go in and take the easy route in / out - it may mean waiting whilst others fill up but so be it. I've never thought of trying the HGV pumps becasue I don't think the pump will fit and i'm not a HGV.

So I guess I am the only one. ..

unprepared. ...bad driver and rubbish car as I don't have a Discovery. ...poor me. ...

unprepared. ...bad driver and rubbish car as I don't have a Discovery. ...poor me. ...

Your head count is out, Kontiki said he uses them :)

I have only used them on a forecourt in burton on trent to fill up my transit. I wouldn't recommend it for cars as the flow rate is much much faster and the nozzles bigger. Probably would work ok on an older car but now quite a few modern cars have special filler necks which prevent the wrong fuel going in.

Never had much of a problem on m way services. Always aim to refuel on 3/4 tank then if ist tight you have enough to get to the next station.

I don't beleive any body actually said that. Some people really dont help themselves on this forum.

Yes they did, read it.

I have a discovery. ...I am always more prepared, I have been caravanning for 40 years etc maybe I am a good driver.

This forum is for people who probably go out twice a year, once at Easter and once in the summer and moan about kids and dogs.

I've never thought to try it but the thing is there are a lot of trucks on the roads and they are doing a vital logistics job so to keep on time they need to be able to fuel and go not wait behind a line of caravanners.

In my opinion we should stick to the car pumps, I know it can be tricky at times but I try choose a garage with a good layout, if it looks tight I go to the next, as I usually head for fuel before I'm running out. I have a discovery 3 pulling my van so I know how tricky it can be maneuvering in some filling stations but I personally wouldn't use the HGV pumps :)

Good point and well made.

The next time I am at work and driving (audi a8 £73k) I will not stop to get a bacon sandwich as some truck driver may also need one or three and my order may slow him down a little so his urgent delivery to Aldi or Netto isn't delayed.

The next time I am at work and driving (audi a8 £73k) I will not stop to get a bacon sandwich as some truck driver may also need one or three and my order may slow him down a little so his urgent delivery to Aldi or Netto isn't delayed.

I like the way you tell us how much your car is worth, so we all know just how important you are!

Yes they did, read it.

I have a discovery. ...I am always more prepared, I have been caravanning for 40 years etc maybe I am a good driver.

This forum is for people who probably go out twice a year, once at Easter and once in the summer and moan about kids and dogs.

I have read it, and still can't see here you've been told you have a rubbish car and discoveries are better. Nobody has said they are always more prepared, and I think the maybe I am a good driver was said tounge firmly in cheek.

You need to lighten up a bit.

Don't use them for the simple fact that the bigger nozzles on the HGV lane pumps won't fit in my filler tube.

Alot of services have a caravan lane thats usually an easy in out route, but some are very tight when your nigh on 40ft long. never had a real problem though, you just need to look a bit closer at the way in/out & be patient.

My car will do about 230 - 260 ish towing on a full tank, so a trip to corwall or up north & i'm filling it at least once on the trip.

Patience my dear friends is a virtue we must all show more of. :)

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Dear dear we are touchy and seem to have developed a complex for no reason . ...my point was simply, as you stated you towed with an X-trail that I fully understand towing with a long 4x4 as I have a Discovery clearly you may need to sit back and read before launching into a mood about what people are not saying :blink: . In fact I was empathising with your point of towing with a large 4x4 and the difficulties of getting 37 foot or rig into the standard forecourt bays. You mentioned your X-trail and I don;t see anyone taking exception at mention of what car you have or am I to be stereotyped for what I choose to drive?

As for not using them you asked for peoples opinions that, from what I can see, was pretty much what you got? Some agreed with using them with reasons provided and some disagreed with using them again with reasons provided.

Archived