Speeding

madatter

Just nipped to Meadowhall down the M1, its about 20 miles, on the way there it was quite busy but the traffic was flowing, I was doing 70 in the inside lane and was overtaken twice by cars towing caravans, I pulled out behide the first 1 and he was doing nearly 80 before he pulled over and slowed to 70. Even I could feel the cross winds in my Mondeo, madness or what.

Just nipped to Meadowhall down the M1, its about 20 miles, on the way there it was quite busy but the traffic was flowing, I was doing 70 in the inside lane and was overtaken twice by cars towing caravans, I pulled out behide the first 1 and he was doing nearly 80 before he pulled over and slowed to 70. Even I could feel the cross winds in my Mondeo, madness or what.

Hi Madatter,

What was the tow vehicle?

Graham

One was a Audi with his lights on full man and woman in it late 50s early 60s pulling a bailey, think other was a Peugeot, think it was a Sterling, but it was getting a bit busy so didnt take much notice of that one.

I sometimes go a little over 50 on A roads and about 65 on dual carriage way, because of the inaccuracies of car speedo I am probably bang on the limit. I used to tow much faster as sometimes the speed creeps up and next thing you are doing over 70. ... then you pass a lorry and it all goes wrong and it all goes wobbly and panic sets, I slow down and everything is OK but if a gust of wind is added to the unstable situation it is caravan carnage and possible death to an unsuspecting motorist behind my caravan.

Fast is great until it goes wrong and the difference can be as little as 5 miles per hour in the wrong conditions. If it is windy or poor conditions I crawl along behind the lorries.

I sometimes go a little over 50 on A roads and about 65 on dual carriage way, because of the inaccuracies of car speedo I am probably bang on the limit. I used to tow much faster as sometimes the speed creeps up and next thing you are doing over 70. ... then you pass a lorry and it all goes wrong and it all goes wobbly and panic sets, I slow down and everything is OK but if a gust of wind is added to the unstable situation it is caravan carnage and possible death to an unsuspecting motorist behind my caravan.

Fast is great until it goes wrong and the difference can be as little as 5 miles per hour in the wrong conditions. If it is windy or poor conditions I crawl along behind the lorries.

I have a Garmin satnav, recently i have checked it against the cars speedo, at a speedo reading of 60, my sat nav speed is only one or two mph less.

Not as inaccurate as some people think.

I have a Garmin satnav, recently i have checked it against the cars speedo, at a speedo reading of 60, my sat nav speed is only one or two mph less.

Not as inaccurate as some people think.

That does depend on the car and not even two off the same production line will read the same also tyre wear will effect the speedo accuracy. Our Seat is about 5 to 6 MPH out at 60mph so an indicated 65 is a genuine 60mph.

I always CRAWL along with the lorries at 55 mph. :rolleyes:

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

In my Mondao at an indicated 60mph on the speedo I am keeping up and not gaining on lorries, so my speedo must be about 4mph out.

As for what speed others do - thats their problem.

Speedos are not constantly accurate across their range.

Mine is +4mph at 40. .. + 2mph at 60. .. But strangely only +1 at 70.

Guest Benzowner

Must be really set up right to do them speeds.

I beleive the land speed record towing a caravan is well over 100mph, I would like to try that :D

Speedos are not constantly accurate across their range.

Mine is +4mph at 40. .. + 2mph at 60. .. But strangely only +1 at 70.

Now that begs the question, how acurate are the road sings that flash up your speed?

Now that begs the question, how acurate are the road sings that flash up your speed?

As the road signs that post up your actual speed are digital and work with radar they should be over 99% accurate.

It is where mecanical parts are used to measure speed that the problem occurs. Reluctor wheels are used and the number of teeth they have also the calibration from new as tyres wear so the rolling radius will change as the tyre wears and the manufacturer needs to be on the safe side so speedo's will over read slightly by default.

I check my speed aginst my Tomtom so I know it is correct. Also the law will give you 10%. One time a patrol car just waved at me to slow down a little.

Unless you are a moron you don't need a speed limit sign to tell you to slow down.

When I did my IAM training observation was forced into me.

Oh I despise those flashing signs sometimes :lol: and no they are not that accurate, they are always a couple of miles on the high side so your speedo says 30mph and it says slow down 32mph. Having driven past these in a car with a callibrated speedo (which is more accurate than most but still not 100%) it's the same story you have to do 28mph to get the smiley face :blink:

It's very tempting to push a few more mph when towing and the van is sitting steady as a rock. Of course the risk is increased but not as much as the doom merchants would have us believe I suspect. However, the overall journey time is not reduced by much BUT the fuel consumption certainly shoots up and that is a very good reason to travel a little more slowly

I allways tuck in behind a lorry at 56mph (not too close though) & put the cruse control on. so much more relaxing than doing 60, going in & out of the lorries, lane 1, lane 2 etc. The fuel comsumtion is a lot better going just 4 mph slower too !:rolleyes:

I allways tuck in behind a lorry at 56mph (not too close though) & put the cruse control on. so much more relaxing than doing 60, going in & out of the lorries, lane 1, lane 2 etc. The fuel comsumtion is a lot better going just 4 mph slower too !:rolleyes:

Don't you think that using the cruise control when close to vehicles in front is a little risky - or do you have the clever kind which judges the distance between you and the vehicle in front?

Must be really set up right to do them speeds.

Hi Xtrailman,

I fully agree, it also has a lot to do with the weight of the vehicle, and the weight of the caravan, tyre pressures.

They all have to be in harmony with each other.

Good nose weight is a must.

The stability to tow at 80 mph isn't an issue, I am rock steady, ( over 1000kg difference between tow vehicle and caravan ) it's the horrendous fuel consumption that stops me from 80mph towing.

Graham

I have a speed alarm that I can set to a chosen speed on my instrument panel. It gives me a visual and audible warning when I pass the preset speed - I usually set it to 65 as I know speedo tends to read 5mph low at that speed.

Don't you think that using the cruise control when close to vehicles in front is a little risky - or do you have the clever kind which judges the distance between you and the vehicle in front?

The trick is to drive at a safe distance with your foot covering the brake pedal. One touch and it's off. Good co-ordination between brain and foot is called for. :)

The safe distance is a problem if some idiot thinks you have left room for them to pull into it. :blink:

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Just come back from Wales went A34, M4 and various A roads, came back M4, M5 and A roads to Dorset, I have to say that the majority of caravanners kept to the speed limits, I set the Cruise control and I can only think of 2 occasions when a car and caravan came past me at around 70+ and there were quite a few caravans especially on the M5.

I beleive the land speed record towing a caravan is well over 100mph, I would like to try that :D

You can try it on the Autoban in Germany. just to see how stable my outfit will be at high speed I drove for about 15 miles at 85mph.

<br /> You can try it on the Autoban in Germany. just to see how stable my outfit will be at high speed I drove  for about 15 miles at 85mph.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thought the towing speed limit for caravans in Germany was 80kmh or 100 kmh if you get a TUV certificate? Doing 85mph likely to result in Autoban (sic)....

Archived