Al-ko Stabiliser

aston007

Hi,

Arrived at a site and carried out my usual routine at reception by disengaging my al-ko stabiliser. When i got to my pitch my new neighbours questioned why my stabiliser was not on. I informed them i always disengage the stabiliser on arrival as it should make manoeuvring the car and outfit much easier. They looked at me as if I’d sworn at them, does anyone else do this or am i doing it unnecessarily

:huh:

I was just looking through my caravan handbook a little earlier and this says to do exactly the same thing ( makes manouvering easy as no friction from stabiliser ) makes sense to me.

I have read that too, but like the others, I can't see why it would make the slightest bit of difference. The friction pads in the stab head certainly wont be able to resist the energy from the car, and wont either be able to resist a change of direction. It can't be to protect the pads, not if you consider the forces applied to them under normal driving.

The friction pads in the stab head certainly wont be able to resist the energy from the car, and wont either be able to resist a change of direction.

I am just thinking that there can't be much point having the stabiliser then? :o

Edited by MrOmori

Hi,

Arrived at a site and carried out my usual routine at reception by disengaging my al-ko stabiliser. When i got to my pitch my new neighbours questioned why my stabiliser was not on. I informed them i always disengage the stabiliser on arrival as it should make manoeuvring the car and outfit much easier. They looked at me as if I'd sworn at them, does anyone else do this or am i doing it unnecessarily

I don't disengage the stabiliser for manoeuvring and can't imagine it making any difference anyway. However, if you think it's worthwhile, I don't think it would do any harm. :)

John.

I was aware of the handbook advice to lift the stabiliser handle for on site manouvering and have in the past took heed of it but only when I have remembered, normally forget. Like others have mentioned can't say I really see much point to this,the car manages to manouver the caravan through all the twists and turns of the road to and from the site, surely it will manage to put it on a pitch.

Hi Aston007

YOU ARE doing the right thing. I recently printed off a full copy of the Alko 3400 stabiliser instructions from the internet to check out the maintenance instructios.

Under "Operation", "Maneouvring" (pg 5) it says "For easier maneouvring (on campsites, etc) pull the stabliliser lever to the 'up' position.

It seems obvious to me that you would something resisting the turning motion of the 'van when you are trying to turn it!!! I have recently changed to Alko 3400 after previously using a "Straightliner" blade stabiliser, I used to disconnect that for maneouvring too.

Tim

Hi Aston007

YOU ARE doing the right thing. I recently printed off a full copy of the Alko 3400 stabiliser instructions from the internet to check out the maintenance instructios.

Under "Operation", "Maneouvring" (pg 5) it says "For easier maneouvring (on campsites, etc) pull the stabliliser lever to the 'up' position.

It seems obvious to me that you would something resisting the turning motion of the 'van when you are trying to turn it!!! I have recently changed to Alko 3400 after previously using a "Straightliner" blade stabiliser, I used to disconnect that for maneouvring too.

Tim

Thanks,

will keep doing it my way

Thanks,

will keep doing it my way

Having read this thread, I think I'll join you - if I remember. :)

John.

Hi,

Arrived at a site and carried out my usual routine at reception by disengaging my al-ko stabiliser. When i got to my pitch my new neighbours questioned why my stabiliser was not on. I informed them i always disengage the stabiliser on arrival as it should make manoeuvring the car and outfit much easier. They looked at me as if I'd sworn at them, does anyone else do this or am i doing it unnecessarily

I have always done this, also when going back into storage i lift the handle up while the wife opens the gates.

I find it more responsive when reversing when it is disengaged.

Also like Tim, whem we had the blade i used to remove it before reversing onto the pitch.

But heyho each to their own

Cheers

Norm

There was also a practical reason for removing a blade type stabilizer on arrival at site, it would sometimes jump out of the guide while traveling over rough ground, so i would remove it while the wife booked the caravan in.

Believe you me, having reversed many articulated vehicles, I would rather have a stiffer connection than a very loose one.

Reversing is sooooo much easier because the trailer will NOT be as responsive. I've had several compliments on putting my caravan in a straight line after reversing around a right angle.

The secret is the stiffer connection and the fact that it is far more forgiving of a slight twitch of the steering wheel. I suppose stabilising in reverse.

I suppose you purists will insist it will be easier without. My advice to those who are not 'expert' reversers - use the stabiliser.

Wayneski

Far be it from me to argue with you - you have far greater reversing experience than me - you certainly do.

With my previous, blade stabiliser, I tended to remove it on tight reverse, maneouvres as I found by experience that the blade tended to slip out of the "shoe" anyway and then had a tendency to dig into the ground!!! LOL.

I've got little experience of the Alko stabiliser as I've only just refitted it to my 'van and my comments were based on Alko's own instructions. The dealer I got the 'van from recommended swapping it for a standard hitch as, at that time, my tow car had a Witter bike carrier which was kinked to go around the car's rear-mounted spare wheel and he felt it might have caught the Alko. The fact that I no longer have that car and that my arthritic knee, which made getting down to fit the "Straightliner" harder, meant that I have just refitted the Alko 3004.

As we now have a mover I must admit that on our first outing with the mover, 4 weeks in France, I did not try reversing with the 'van hitched up but rather used the mover.

In addition I must confess that I was a little disappointed in the performance of the Alko 3004whilst towing. I did not feel that the 'van felt as stable as when I had the "straightliner" fitted. The "Straightliner" actually has a gas strut that actually pushed the 'van back in line if it swayed. I, have, also, discovered that the Alko, unlike the "Straightliner", needs maintenance too! I, also, found the Alko very stiff to operate but I have been advised I need to lubricate the handle, bbviously not the ball or stabiliser head.

I have had ATC retrofitted and it was in place with both stabilisers and I am, always very careful of making sure the 'van is well loaded.

I suppose I could have been over conscious of having a new stabliser and been more sensitive to stability problems when towing!!??

Tim