Designated "seasonal" Awnings Are They Worth It?

Alex and Sarah

Hi Folks

We are looking at buying our first awning and it is intended for use on a seasonal pitch. First-off, I know Isabella by far have the best reputation, but that is just too far out of our price range.

So we are looking at others.

One thing I am finding a lot of the time is what characteristics actually define a "seasonal" awning.

Sometimes it is thickness of material, eg: 320g such as the Pyramid Helios or Atlas

Other times it is poles, eg steel intended for use on seasonals.

But. .. then there are other manufacurers of awnings that may not specifically say "seasonal" in the title, but mention all-season material in the description. Often these may well be the 280g thickness of material.

So, obviously, 320g is likely to be more resilient generally than 280g subject to manufacturing, but if some all-season materials are 280g, then isnt the criteria for seasonal awning to be:

1. Steel Poles (including extra ridge poles if necessary)

2. 280g or above "all-season" material

If-so, then there are quite a number of other awnings that fit into this catagory.

We are looking at a size 14 (10m) awning.

At the moment, we have just pulled up the blurb on the following:

Pyramid Helios - £671 (320g & steel frame though not the heavy duty steel at this price)

Starcamp Cameo - £426 (280g & steel frame)

There is no doubt that the Helios is the higher spec, but it is also 58% more expensive which is quite a jump.

Theres also Starcamp Daytona, £494, all-season material & 22mm steel frame

I do know there are other factors in the price of an awning (provision of fly screens, blinds, double stitching etc) but bearing in mind that a lot of reading-up suggests that awnings if left seasonal have a limited life anyway, my basic question is "Is it worth paying the extra or putting that cash in the bank towards the replacement when the cheaper one wares out?"

If the cheaper would last say 4 years and the expensive say 5 years, then it becomes a big question to if its worth it.

If the cheaper would last 1 year and the expensive 5years, then not so much of a question. . but. . would then raise the query why did it fail after 1 year when other all-season awnings share the 280g/steel-poles specification?

I know there will be a lot of opinions on this and I know there is an element of get-what-you-pay-for, but I thought it would be worth collecting some of you folks opinions on my above comparissons before we decide where to spend the money.

Many thanks for any suggestion and thoughts

Alex

Edited by Alex and Sarah

Hi

Just bought the Atlas awning for our seasonal pitch, take a look on caravanstuff4u

http://www. caravanstuff4u. co. uk/seasonal_pitch_awnings. html

For your size £679 a lot of awning for very little money

Terry

Hi Folks

I had looked at the Atlas on ebay previously but worried that this would give us too much awning and not enough exterior grass area on our pitch, apparently you cannot put up the awning partially (unfortunately) to the 2. 4m width size. I had also thought about a 2nd-hand Isabella but Im still worried about the rumour/fact/suggestion that awnings have a limited life in a seasonal position and so would worry that some of its life has already gone.

Thanks for the replies, it reallt isnt an easy decisions.

Alex

Hi Folks

I had looked at the Atlas on ebay previously but worried that this would give us too much awning and not enough exterior grass area on our pitch, apparently you cannot put up the awning partially (unfortunately) to the 2. 4m width size.

Alex

Hi Alex

With the Atlas you can zip the front in at 2. 4 and have 1. 1 porch area, bonus it will be covered just right for our "SUMMER"

Terry.

Go for a 2nd hand Isabella Capri, Ambasador or commador.

You should be able to get a realy good one for £500 to £600 and it will still out last any new lesser make!

I sold a 20 year old isabella ambassador a couple fo years ago and apart from the design (which a lot of people will not recognise the changes) it was still as good as new! The chap who bought it from me has it on a seasonal for 2 summers now and is still extremely pleased with it!.

As they say you pays your money. .......

Terry - Thanks for the info, as far as I know the porch 1. 1m is still fixed though, and as we are not yet to the end of the seasonal pitch waiting lists, Im not sure how much space we would have for the awning so a bit worried about the awning taking up too much of it, even as a porch bit.

Shazjag - Thanks for that advice I will certainly keep a look out and have a look around to see what is available between now and March.

Thanks to everyone for the great info so-far. Does anyone have any other thoughts about the comparison of the cheaper makes that I did in my first post? If I do end up going new rather than 2nd habd, it would help to know if there is much/lot difference between the options.

Thanks everyone

Alex

how about an outdoor revolution new brunswick seasonal pitch, we looked at these at the nec last year and thought they were fantastic, but priced at over £1100 for the size we wanted, so we brought the new hampshire in the winter sales. Thr new brunswick is currently on offer on there website, so we are going to buy one for next season and sell our old one on ebay, a saving of £442 off normal selling price for us

Thanks for the tip

I went to Outdoor Revolutions website and although it mentions end-of-season-sale I couldnt seem to find anywhere that listed the price of the Brunswick at all and no size options. Am I looking in the wrong plave or are the prices on one of the dealer websites on their links page (lot of them)?

Also, does look very nice, though doesnt mention what material/size the poles are and also still seems to have the fabric material as 280g, so Im still not really sure what actualy makes an awning "seasonal" seems a difficult one.

Would appreciate info on where the £567 price is if thats ok, thanks for the suggestion

Alex

Edited by Alex and Sarah

Hi Alex,

If you can't afford Isabella, I'd recommend Ventura (the cheaper version of Isabella) and you definitely need to invest in the heavy duty poles, as wind and snow are the greatest contributors to awning damage. Some of the "all-seaon" material claims mean that the awning can be used in all seasons, but whether or not they're intended to be left up "all-season" is another matter! We used a Ventura Atlantic with steel poles when we had a seasonal pitch and never had a problem - others with lighter aluminium frames suffered frame and awning damage in very high winds (some even had damaged caravans where the poles had buckled on to the van). Oh, and do remember to recheck the tensioning and the pegs regularly, as they have a habit of working loose.

Also, remember that you cannot predict inclement weather and even though your site owner may contact you about the bad weather, you probably won't be able to get there in time to stop a disaster from happening.

Glen.

Hi Alex,

If you can't afford Isabella, I'd recommend Ventura (the cheaper version of Isabella) and you definitely need to invest in the heavy duty poles, as wind and snow are the greatest contributors to awning damage. Some of the "all-seaon" material claims mean that the awning can be used in all seasons, but whether or not they're intended to be left up "all-season" is another matter! We used a Ventura Atlantic with steel poles when we had a seasonal pitch and never had a problem - others with lighter aluminium frames suffered frame and awning damage in very high winds (some even had damaged caravans where the poles had buckled on to the van). Oh, and do remember to recheck the tensioning and the pegs regularly, as they have a habit of working loose.

Also, remember that you cannot predict inclement weather and even though your site owner may contact you about the bad weather, you probably won't be able to get there in time to stop a disaster from happening.

Glen.

Thanks I will look into Ventura, what is the main difference that makes them cheaper is it just the badge or are they made to a different style/standard?

Whatever we buy we are looking to steel poles. That unavoidable disaster situation is one of the reasons I am unsure about spending too much on the awning. If the cheaper ones with steel frames would be almost as stable, then the huge damaging storm would probably damage either and in that event I would rather loose less money than more.

Its such a difficult decision to make and I do appreciate everybodies help.

Thanks

Alex

Thanks for the tip

I went to Outdoor Revolutions website and although it mentions end-of-season-sale I couldnt seem to find anywhere that listed the price of the Brunswick at all and no size options. Am I looking in the wrong plave or are the prices on one of the dealer websites on their links page (lot of them)?

Also, does look very nice, though doesnt mention what material/size the poles are and also still seems to have the fabric material as 280g, so Im still not really sure what actualy makes an awning "seasonal" seems a difficult one.

Would appreciate info on where the £567 price is if thats ok, thanks for the suggestion

Alex

try outdoor- revolution-awnings. co. uk then in the drop down panel select awnings, this will open a new window, then select new wave awnings this will bring up the 3 types of awning and you should see the 40% off banner click on this and this page gives you a drop down size selection and price menu further down the page it gives the awning specs as well. another web site to look at for these awnings is www. campinginternational. co. uk,they are selling off slight seconds,material has slight fading these are £30 to 40 cheaper. You were right about the 280g fabric, this has a couple of good points for me as a seasonal caravaner though firstly it has double locking roof poles, these use the new type of clamp for adjusting the pole tension and also the old fashion thumb screw clamps as well,i have found that using the new style clamps last season with a pyramid awning, that they tend to slip and loose tension over time whereas the thumb screws can be tightened really tight and never move. Another good point for choosing this awning is the permenant door, no need to keep unzipping the end or the side out of the awning all the time just unzip the door, with the new brunswick version you also get zip in blinds for when you leave the awning and head home saves having the curtains drawn with that little gap everyone can peep through to see what you have left behind. They show the price of £567 for a size of 990 to1015 thats what i wrked out to be a size 14. I wish i couldpaste the lins, but as an oldie cant find out how to do this, hope this is of help.

try outdoor- revolution-awnings. co. uk then in the drop down panel select awnings, this will open a new window, then select new wave awnings this will bring up the 3 types of awning and you should see the 40% off banner click on this and this page gives you a drop down size selection and price menu further down the page it gives the awning specs as well. another web site to look at for these awnings is www. campinginternational. co. uk,they are selling off slight seconds,material has slight fading these are £30 to 40 cheaper. You were right about the 280g fabric, this has a couple of good points for me as a seasonal caravaner though firstly it has double locking roof poles, these use the new type of clamp for adjusting the pole tension and also the old fashion thumb screw clamps as well,i have found that using the new style clamps last season with a pyramid awning, that they tend to slip and loose tension over time whereas the thumb screws can be tightened really tight and never move. Another good point for choosing this awning is the permenant door, no need to keep unzipping the end or the side out of the awning all the time just unzip the door, with the new brunswick version you also get zip in blinds for when you leave the awning and head home saves having the curtains drawn with that little gap everyone can peep through to see what you have left behind. They show the price of £567 for a size of 990 to1015 thats what i wrked out to be a size 14. I wish i couldpaste the lins, but as an oldie cant find out how to do this, hope this is of help.

Thanks I had googled outdoor revolution and was looking in their . com site so this has helped a lot thanks.

£567 does look a good pprice though I noticed the small print at the bottom saying that they are class-B stock and not all fully uv coated so possible to start fading with use. Ill have a think about whether that is important to us. The poles are noted as 25mm too which is a bit more than the usual 22mm and sounds good.

Still seems strange that so far I can only find the Pyramid Helios that has fabric over 280g.

Thanks again

Alex

Thanks I will look into Ventura, what is the main difference that makes them cheaper is it just the badge or are they made to a different style/standard?

Now, I may be opening up a can of worms here but, in my opinion, Ventura come a very close second to Isabella. I believe they are designed by the same people, made in the same factories, but have a SLIGHTLY LESS superior cloth - but you'd be hard-pushed to notice the difference. They use the same frames though. We currently have an Isabella Magnum and would readily have bought the Ventura counterpart (Marlin) but we didn't like the baby blue colour!

Glen.