Towing Advice Please

Fordsabroad

My Daughter is planning to buy her 1st caravan and having passed her test after 1997 will be limited to what she can tow. I have done the sums but would appreciate it if someone could confirm or correct me before I pass the information to her.

Car – Vauxhall Signum 2. 2DTI petrol, unladen weight 1493KG Gross weight 2075KG

If I am correct the total weight of car and caravan she can tow must not exceed 3500KG therefore she could legally to a caravan of up to 1425KG but sticking within the 85% rule should look at vans at around 1211KG. Am I correct?

Are there many 4 berth vans around at this weight?

Any comments would be appreciated

Fordsabroad

My understanding of the law is that on a cat B license you're allowed 3500kgs with a trailer of 750kgs so 4250kgs total weight. Probably best to stay under 3500kgs though, something like the Bailey Ranger 460/4 would be good for you but have a look on whattowcar. com for help with weights etc. Happy hunting :-)

Your figures are correct.

Train mass must not exceed 3500kgs unless she passes the test to allow her to do this.

The 85% figure is 85% of the kerb side weight of your car, on the new V5's the kerb side weight is given as the mass.

Also there should be a figure on the V5 indicating what the maximum mass the car can tow.

Plus the car will have a maximum nose weight figure, usually given by the car's manufacturer.

You might want to look at Lunar vans as they are usually a bit less weight.

Brian

My Daughter is planning to buy her 1st caravan and having passed her test after 1997 will be limited to what she can tow. I have done the sums but would appreciate it if someone could confirm or correct me before I pass the information to her.

If I am correct the total weight of car and caravan she can tow must not exceed 3500KG therefore she could legally to a caravan of up to 1425KG but sticking within the 85% rule should look at vans at around 1211KG. Am I correct?

Fordsabroad

Fordsabroad

Hi Fordeabroad. The 85% guidle figure is based upon the Kerb-weight of the Tow-vehicle. Parkers have it at circa 1560kgs and whether Manual or Auto the maximum braked towing weight is 1500kgs.

At 1560kgs the 85% figure is 1362kgs.

Empty the car back to showroom spec, fill it up to 90% full and with a 68kgs allowance for the driver weight and 7kgs luggage allowance get the car weighed on a reliable weighbridge. The VOSA Dynamic Axle Weighbridge is the most accurate.

I have found that with a 70 or 80litre tank it is easier to fill until the auto shut-off kicks in on the pump saves a lot of faffing about,I am lucky I am 68kgs. The difference between 90% full and Full is near enough your luggage allowance weight.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Its 85% of the tow car so around 1600 kg subject to the max tow weight of the car. 1400kg she will be fine with as this is only around 70% and keeps her under 3500kg total.

Hi bbrown. I have looked at your calculations and fail to see where you get the 1600kgs from when equated with the figures provided.

The 85% guideline is the figure based upon the kerbweight of the tow-vehicle not the unladen weight.

Please enlighten me.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

The 1560kgs, you quote, depends on the model, the entry level model is 1493kgs, it does not say wither this is kerb weight or not.

So I think the initial figure, that was posted, is possibly correct.

However with a gross weight of 2075 and maximum towing weight of 1500kgs then the lady would be over the 3500kgs and illegal unless she had a light weight van.

He could also check the plate on his car because that is what the boys in blue would do. Any weigh bridge figure does not matter too much because the plates on the car and van are usually the governing figures.

I think fordsabroad has the correct figures.

Brian

Hi Fordeabroad. The 85% guidle figure is based upon the Kerb-weight of the Tow-vehicle. Parkers have it at circa 1560kgs and whether Manual or Auto the maximum braked towing weight is 1500kgs.

At 1560kgs the 85% figure is 1362kgs.

Empty the car back to showroom spec, fill it up to 90% full and with a 68kgs allowance for the driver weight and 7kgs luggage allowance get the car weighed on a reliable weighbridge. The VOSA Dynamic Axle Weighbridge is the most accurate.

I have found that with a 70 or 80litre tank it is easier to fill until the auto shut-off kicks in on the pump saves a lot of faffing about,I am lucky I am 68kgs. The difference between 90% full and Full is near enough your luggage allowance weight.

The 1560kgs, you quote, depends on the model, the entry level model is 1493kgs, it does not say wither this is kerb weight or not.

So I think the initial figure, that was posted, is possibly correct.

However with a gross weight of 2075 and maximum towing weight of 1500kgs then the lady would be over the 3500kgs and illegal unless she had a light weight van.

He could also check the plate on his car because that is what the boys in blue would do. Any weigh bridge figure does not matter too much because the plates on the car and van are usually the governing figures.

I think fordsabroad has the correct figures.

Brian

No Brian. The model quoted was the model that I have related to. The entry level was/is a 1. 8 when it was introduced in 03.

Unless things have changed the plate (Vin Plate) does not give kerb-weight but does indicate the maximum braked towing weight by a simple calculation.

Well Parkers says,the 2. 2 introduced 10/05 till 01/08 has a weight of 1493 which what was originally posted.

The point I was making is to check the plates because the figures quoted, on the plates, are the legal figures along with the figures quoted on the V5.

There is no mention of a kerb weight figure anywhere on plates or V5, did I say the kerb figure was on the plates???

The V5 gives "Mass in Service" and this equates to the older styled kerb weight.

They will still have to consult their owner's manual to get the nose weight.

I would suspect it isn't too high given the max towing mass is 1500kgs.

Brian

No Brian. The model quoted was the model that I have related to. The entry level was/is a 1. 8 when it was introduced in 03.

Unless things have changed the plate (Vin Plate) does not give kerb-weight but does indicate the maximum braked towing weight by a simple calculation.

Maths on the fly is never my strong point. I was working on 85% of around 2000kg being 1700kg.

With the cart having a laden mass of 2000kg a 14-1500 kg van would be fine and within limits.

Sorry but this is simply not correct.

The recommendation for towing a caravan for an inexperienced tower is 85% of the kerb weight not the fully laden weight.

The Caravan club guide for beginners is a good document

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/media/968584/getting%20started%20guide. pdf

Brian

StevenandKay The 4250 Kg only applies to an unbraked trailer and is the car limit of 3500Kg plus the 750Kg of the trailer.

If the trailer is over 750Kg it must be braked and with a B license the train weight of the trailer + car cannot exceed 3500Kg and the trailer cannot exceed the car weight.

Therefore between zero (:blink: ) and 1750Kg of car weight the trailer must be no more than the car and below the towing limit of the car. Any amount above 1750Kg of car weight reduces the maximum trailer weight.

As an example my kerb weight is 1960Kg and towing limit it 2000Kg. On a B licence however 3500Kg-1960Kg = 1540Kg maximum trailer weight, this is ignoring the 85% as it is only at guide.

StevenandKay The 4250 Kg only applies to an unbraked trailer and is the car limit of 3500Kg plus the 750Kg of the trailer.

If the trailer is over 750Kg it must be braked and with a B license the train weight of the trailer + car cannot exceed 3500Kg and the trailer cannot exceed the car weight.

Therefore between zero (:blink: ) and 1750Kg of car weight the trailer must be no more than the car and below the towing limit of the car. Any amount above 1750Kg of car weight reduces the maximum trailer weight.

As an example my kerb weight is 1960Kg and towing limit it 2000Kg. On a B licence however 3500Kg-1960Kg = 1540Kg maximum trailer weight, this is ignoring the 85% as it is only at guide.

Its the MAM (Max Authorised Mass) of both the car and caravan that matters not the kerb weight. Both of these are on their respective weight plates so thats the information the police will use if stopped. So if your kerb weight is 1960kg, I would guess your MAM is around 2500kg so you would be limited to a 1000kg MTPLM caravan with a B only licence.

http://www. direct. go. ..les/DG_10013073

Brian

We have this discussion on here regularly.

The rule is that the trailer can not exceed the UNLADEN WEIGHT of the towing vehicle, NOT the kerb weight. The unladen weight is the weight the car is when it rolls off the end of the production line, no fuel or driver. You need to ask Ford for this figure.

The train weight must not exceed 3500 Kg.

Trevor is spot on, his post above is almost word for word what it says in my B+E test documentation.

My current outfit works out at about 20KG under the 3500kg limit. y mondeo has a MAM of about 2200KG, and caravan is 1200KG MTPLM - very close.

Just bought a new van, and the mTPLM is 1430, so taking my train weight over 3500KG. I'm sitting the B+E test this Wednesday. Had 6 hours training so far and the instructor now says I am ready, wish me luck!

Sam

Good luck with your test Sam I'm sure you'll be fine.

My car 2. 7 Tonnes, van 1250kg total 3. 95 tonnes :blink: just as well I have oldie privilleges on my licence :lol:

I still hate maths. ..

Hi blueflightmedic. . I t would appear that by your statement that you had either your first Maths Teacher or a succession of them at a time that mattered being absolutely rubbish Maths TEACHERS.

I am no Albert Einstein,but I got a very good grounding. It is all about being shown and having had a good clear explanation of how the bits of the puzzles form the final picture,THE RESOLVE.

The need to show all calculations in a maths exam is in order to demonstrate to the Exam Marker that the result was not just a good guess.

Archived