There Are Still Helful Folks Around

jaymac

On a site in France last week OH noticed a smart outfit arrive and a silver haired gent wearing a jacket and tie got out, followed by his good lady wearing high heels and a suit. The gent seemed to be having a bit of bother so OH wandered over to see what was going on. He'd hit a bit of a bump in the filling station which seemed to've moved the motors rollers so it wasn't working too well. OH tried to move the rollers but couldn't so the site owner came over with a big lever and they were duly moved. Then it was discovered that the rollers had been scraping against the caravan tyre which needed replacing. A few other people had arrived to help by then so they got out the spare, found it needed inflating, did that then changed the tyre for the old fellow. So there are still helpful folks out there.

BTW, the old gent and his wife were in their eighties and were heading for Spain. He had a pacemaker or some such gadget fitted and it had gone off four times already that day. When OH had asked him about insurance I think he'd said something like "Oh, we don't bother with that. .." I hope they get there and back safely!

On a site in France last week OH noticed a smart outfit arrive and a silver haired gent wearing a jacket and tie got out, followed by his good lady wearing high heels and a suit. The gent seemed to be having a bit of bother so OH wandered over to see what was going on. He'd hit a bit of a bump in the filling station which seemed to've moved the motors rollers so it wasn't working too well. OH tried to move the rollers but couldn't so the site owner came over with a big lever and they were duly moved. Then it was discovered that the rollers had been scraping against the caravan tyre which needed replacing. A few other people had arrived to help by then so they got out the spare, found it needed inflating, did that then changed the tyre for the old fellow. So there are still helpful folks out there.

BTW, the old gent and his wife were in their eighties and were heading for Spain. He had a pacemaker or some such gadget fitted and it had gone off four times already that day. When OH had asked him about insurance I think he'd said something like "Oh, we don't bother with that. .." I hope they get there and back safely!

And all that was on site! Wow. I wonder what life was like during the towing bit!

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Always pleasing to hear of this when it happens, We have helped and been given help over the years while touring Europe and even today we are still in touch with those that we have met over the years. Last year we met up in Brittany with vanners that we have met with over the years and next year we have all agreed to meet on a site in Southern Brittany and to whiz down our necks some of the local plonk together, Ah well the things we have to do when retired. :D:D

Almost all of the time here at La Tournerie we have a generally eclectic mix of people who are almost always willing to lend a hand.

After all, if everyone else on site is happy and generally chilling out, it doesn't normally do too much for the collective lot when you can see someone else having an absolute ****** of a time!!

When I was last in France our mover control box was frazzled, thankfully now replaced with a shiny new one. When we pitched I could drive through the pitch but the van would then be facing the wrong way it needed to go side on in the pitch like everyone else to enjoy the stunning view. We started manhandling the van to get it into position but on not quite level grass it was a pain to shift manually. This lovely Dutch couple and some of their friends kindly helped us get it sorted :)

What is - OH - ?

Alan

What is - OH - ?

Alan

Their other half. ...husband, wife or partner :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

About 3 years ago we were holidaying with a friend and arrived in Caen on the late ferry but luckly we had booked a night at a site just out side the port.

About an hour after we arrived another unit pitched up next to ours but the car was struggling to move the caravan.

A short time later we could hear hammering noise come form the caravan, we decided to investigate, the lady explained that they had clipped a kerb and this in turn had pushed the mover on to the wheel, she also expalined her husband who was lying on the floor had back and heart problems,

Being of the mechanicly minded sort me and my mate grabbed a torch and a hand full of tools and moved the mover off the wheel and changed the damaged wheel for the spare.

we we finished and wished them well, but never had a thanks for our troubles.

Last year my partner and I were at a site in Scotland. As we struggled to put our (brand new) awning up in gusty winds 3 blokes came running up and grabbed the flapping canvas and helped us put it together. As is normally done in my line of work, thanks was expressed by way of a crate of beer. ..

Last year my partner and I were at a site in Scotland. As we struggled to put our (brand new) awning up in gusty winds 3 blokes came running up and grabbed the flapping canvas and helped us put it together. As is normally done in my line of work, thanks was expressed by way of a crate of beer. ..

Funny with the crate of beer :D on our site on the way up OH and the kids usually go the woodland walkway along the side of the golf course. I was fed up of them collecting all these golf balls and none of them play golf! OH took them to one of the residents we know in the mobile homes as he plays golf. Obviously not expecting anything frojm him then he handed him a crate of Carlsberg! I said "I'll bring then huge box of collected golf balls up from the house and tell him it's vodka!"

Same as last year, we helped the elderly couple next to us put up they're awning as they had the awning but weren't sure if there were poles missing so we'd said if it was dry we'd help and have a look as we've got spare poles. We were rewarded with a bottle of wine. That's not why we done it! I just like helping out!

Same when the couple gave us their awning they were just coing to chuck I got them a bottle of wine.

Still loads of helpful people about - it's nice to be nice :)

Compass Shadow 1988

Their other half. ...husband, wife or partner :)

Oh Other half suggests equality! Ducks!

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

I've had help from some people when i've needed it & been very grateful for it, but it's not always on offer:

When we went away last year went to pick up van from storage & found i'd left the lights on in the van so the battery was totally flat & hence, mover wouldn't work. Not a problem at the storage yard as I can just pull the van out. Got to site & battery had some charge but nowhere near enough to use the mover. The site wasn't big enough to swing the van round or do a 3 point, so we had to un-hitch & then man handle the van round. There were quite a few other people there, but do you think any of them would lend a hand. they just all sat & watched us struggle. After we'd finished one bloke came over & told me that if i had a mover fitted it would make it alot easier to pitch a van as big as ours. I think i did quite well just to smile at him through gritted teeth.

Few days later on the same site, another van turned up, un-hitched & just put the feet down. Day or two later the bloke was looking around with a puzzled look on his face. I wondered over & asked him if he was ok. He told me his van felt like it was pitched on a slope. I asked if he'd levelled & he just looked more puzzled. Can't remember whether he said he'd borrowed or just bought the van, but he had no idea about levelling. I got my level, & set about showing him how to level it. An hour or so later, trip to b & q included to get some timber to put under one wheel, left him levelled & his OH happy. They did offer a few things in reparation, but i was just happy to help & now he knows what to do next time. :)

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

We've just returned from 3 nights in a CL. On the pitch next to us was a motorhome. The CL owner said the chap had just bought it and had parked it there for the week but couldn't stay in it due to work or something. Anyway he turned up on Saturday and had the CL owner running around for a couple of hours. Apparrently he had no idea about anything. He was on the phone shouting to the dealer saying that he had no means of filling up the water tank. ... the CL owner found the hose in the gas locker ! He said that the toilet didn't work, it was flushing but nothing was going away. .... the CL owner showed him the bottom lever and everything wooshed away !!! He said the electric wasn't working - the CL owner plugged the hookup in properly ! Anyway he said he was taking it back to the dealer to sort it out !!! Both us and the CL owner felt very sorry for the poor dealer. ........ !!!

Well if you're on a site with me i'm usually offering to lend a hand :D I don't go in people's faces with it but if i'm chatting with someone and they say they're going to put their awning up i'll offer a hand but if they decline and / or already have help I usualy just say ok but if you need us just let us know.

I wouldn't laugh at other's lack of knowledge as we all started somewhere and I still struggle at times asking the daftest of questions but that above post did make me laugh and also think "poor dealer":o

Compass Shadow 1988

We arrived on a CL over the summer, pitched up in the only pitch 'to the left' as we'd been told when we booked. We set up, put up our awning & were just about to put the kids to bed when another outfit arrived & the woman insisted quite rudely that they'd booked the pitch 5 weeks ago. The owner was out & she was getting really quite upset about it, so we decided to move in the pouring rain & decending darkness. Did they offer to help? No, they went into their van to make themselves a cuppa. I hope they enjoyed it. :angry:

Archived