Loch Sunart And Resipole Campsite

Fidget

For the last couple of years we have travelled to Resipole campsite on the banks of Loch Sunart.

Both times, we went in early May to try to beat the wee Beasties.

On both occasions we found the site to be immaculate, many hard standings in a smallish site, all facing the loch. The facilities were very good too although if the site is busy the facilities might be stretched to cope. After several years of green field camping, we tend to use our van shower and toilet (I say "we" because apparently, that is what "we" want. ....I think you can see how this works).

The site is several miles along a single track road that has passing points, all quite usable if careful. Our route there included the Corran Ferry. At about £15 each way for car and van, it's expensive but cuts out a couple of hours driving and is a great experience. Our first experience on the ferry started by grounding on the ramp and being stuck. The ferry guys know their stuff and had me off and trying again by driving up the ramp at a slight angle, rather than square-on as the first time.

If you want scenery, like wildlife, walking and a slower pace of life, I don't think that you could do much better. Take your walking boots and camera.

Whilst there we met a guy who had moved there after going almost every available weekend from the south of England. I know how he must feel about the area, it's incredible.

We would like to try later in the season, say late Sept or October. Anyone know how the wee beasties are then?

Dave.

Guest anton1888

Dave thanks for the review. Must admit I do have a few worries with the ferry but they have replaced the old pier there so hopefully it's now easier to board the ferry. Was it the hitch or the rear of the van that grounded?

Wouldn't worry about the midges as I've come across very few this year. I spoke to an old fella up in Oban a few weeks back who said he couldn't remember a summer with so few midges as this year.

Dave, are there any food shops there, not sure wither to take food or buy there. I always prefer to give the local shops the business, I take it Strontian being the nearest town.

Anton

There's a small shop onsite for the staples and as you say, Strontian has a couple of larger shops, with most of what you might need (frozen ready meals, meats, beer, beer) .

There's a good shop in the other direction at Acharacle which might be a little closer, with a bakers and pie shop nearby.

We just took enough for the first couple of days, then shopped.

There's a couple of walks described in a small pamphlet printed locally. One is a short way up the river at Strontian, quite easy and flat, it's lovely. Another walk over a hill near just before Loch Moidart, dropping down to the lochside then along to Tioram castle. This is one of the best short walks I've ever done, highly recommended.

Makes me want to get there soon!

I grounded at the hitch, my Avensis sat low at the hitch.

Dave

Edited by Fidget

Guest anton1888

Dave, meant to ask did you attempt Ben Resipole? We're keen walkers/climbers and were thinking of doing the Ben. The walks you describe sound great will definitely try them. We're also taking the bikes, are the wee roads ok for this? Cheers again. Anton

Dave, meant to ask did you attempt Ben Resipole? We're keen walkers/climbers and were thinking of doing the Ben. The walks you describe sound great will definitely try them. We're also taking the bikes, are the wee roads ok for this? Cheers again. Anton

I wanted to do Ben Resipole from the site. It would have been easily possible and a good starting point, but I have a problem in understanding the maps. To be more precise, I believe that because in Scotland we have the right to roam, there are very few rights of way marked on the map. There are no tracks or paths marked on Ben Resipole on the OS Explorer map. I couldn't see how to get through the fences (inc some Deer fences) as gaps or stiles are not marked. In the end we found plenty of other walking to keep us happy. We will have a go, but must consult with someone locally first, to see how to deal with the fences or get a route recommended.

There are many forestry type tracks around which would suit biking, particularly round near Loch Sheil. I would guess that its a great place for biking, the roads aren't too busy.

Dave. .

Here's a link to Ben Resipole and a route from the site.

Wish I'd had it then! On the other hand, it looks to need a chunk more effort than we usually put into a walk.

Dave