Cheapest Way To Book Summer 2012 Hols

Hello,next year i have to book our summer holiday in the school holidays as my daughter is just starting school,we want to go back to la garangeoire in the vendee with the overnight ferry from portsmouth as its just round the corner from us. My question is is it cheaper to book through the cc or direct with the site and book the ferry independently. As when we returnrd this year i found the high season price booking direct with la garangeoire more expensive then the caravan club prices. As we have to go high season now just wondered if anyone knew the cheapest way to book,thanks in advance . i want to book soon to make sure we can get in and get the pitch we want

Try checking out the prices yourself.

You can book the ferry through the C. C. with an itx deal as long as you book the ferry plus 7 nights on the campsite or 7 camping cheques (which won't be much use in August).

The itx deals are a lot cheaper than other bookings.

In the past I've booked through the C. C. for the ferry and 6 nights in August on the campsite (because it was cheaper than booking direct) and then 30 camping cheques through the C. C. because from Sept 1st the campsite accepted them and it was cheaper than booking the site direct for September.

But be aware that CC pitches booked through the club might not be the best on site

Mix and Match if you can but get an itx deal.

Scales

In part the answer will depend on what happens to the Euro. The Caravan Club will base their price on a particular exchange rate (having done a deal with the bank). If the value of the Euro then falls relative to the pound it will be much cheaper to do it yourself. If the value of the Euro goes up it will be cheaper to do it via the CC club.

My suggestion would be to wait till the new CC brochure comes out and then do the calculation; since you will also be able to compare Ferry prices (which tend to be cheaper if booked before the end of the year).

We've found that if you want to book in peak season the CC price is often better because a booking direct with the site includes a booking "admin" fee whereas the CC price doesn't. Also if the costs look similar the advantage of booking with the CC is that the price is fixed; whereas the costs in Euro's will depend on the day it is applied to your credit card.

Neil

Hello,next year i have to book our summer holiday in the school holidays as my daughter is just starting school,we want to go back to la garangeoire in the vendee with the overnight ferry from portsmouth as its just round the corner from us. My question is is it cheaper to book through the cc or direct with the site and book the ferry independently. As when we returnrd this year i found the high season price booking direct with la garangeoire more expensive then the caravan club prices. As we have to go high season now just wondered if anyone knew the cheapest way to book,thanks in advance . i want to book soon to make sure we can get in and get the pitch we want

I was just about to recommend you contact Eurocamp Independent as they match their 2011 prices if you book before the end of October. . but having seen their prices for that site. .. I don't think they will be competitive. .. you may want to give them a call though so you can compare.

I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting an overnight crossing from Portsmouth but it is the most expensive option.

Ports -> Caen (even with an overnight stop in Caen) is so very much cheaper (2:30pm departure outbound and 8am inbound) carry a significant discount, and the drive isn't too much longer.

We live closer to the Portsmouth International Ferryport than you and can't see any sense in crossing elsewhere!

HTH

G.

I was just about to recommend you contact Eurocamp Independent as they match their 2011 prices if you book before the end of October. . but having seen their prices for that site. .. I don't think they will be competitive. .. you may want to give them a call though so you can compare.

I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting an overnight crossing from Portsmouth but it is the most expensive option.

Ports -> Caen (even with an overnight stop in Caen) is so very much cheaper (2:30pm departure outbound and 8am inbound) carry a significant discount, and the drive isn't too much longer.

We live closer to the Portsmouth International Ferryport than you and can't see any sense in crossing elsewhere!

HTH

G.

Hi thanks for that how long is the extra drive and how much cheaper is the crossing?>We like the overnight as we have a little one who can sleep on board and we go after my husband finishes work. although if we are going to make a good saving it is worth considering . also how long is the crossing, thanks terry

Hi thanks for that how long is the extra drive and how much cheaper is the crossing?>We like the overnight as we have a little one who can sleep on board and we go after my husband finishes work. although if we are going to make a good saving it is worth considering . also how long is the crossing, thanks terry

Terry,

It's different across providers. . to get an idea call CC, C&CC, Eurocamp Independent, Select Sites and Brittany Ferries direct.

I'd think that by the time you include a cabin outbound Ports -> St. Malo you'd be looking at nearly a 50% saving doing Ports -> Caen on the schedule I mentioned.

Add 2 x €17 a night at Campings Les Pommiers and I suspect it'll still be 40% off!

Get on the phone, let your fingers do the walking. .... only way to be sure is if you call all the likely candidates.

HTH

G

P. S. Sorry forgot to say. .. If it takes you 4 hours from St Malo it'll be about 5 hours from Caen.

Edited by chapmag

If you book your sites through the Caravan Club and book the ferry/tunnel yourself, the Caravan Club will then charge you an extra £25-00 which they call an admin fee.

I myself find it much cheaper to book before Christmas both the sites and the ferry/tunnel.

there are some sites that take camping cheques from mid august.

check their website for this years dates, in the area you want to go.

you may be lucky and find one. they also are dependent on the euro rate.

when we were there late august there were some good ones available.

check out dfds deals as well, on the c cheque site.

some good deals if you can go out on sunday and back friday.

as posted wait till the early booking deals come out later in the year

cheers rodders B)