Indicator Relay

alfiemorris

Hello all, I really could do with some advice please. The relay that is fitted along with a tow hitch, it keeps blowing the nearside and still sounds the tell-tell, so I dont know its not flashing at the rear of the 'van. This is the third time now, and I'm at a loss what to do. The people that fitted the bar back in '04 have been very good about it and replace it without charge. There is obviously a fault somewhere, but is it car or 'van related? any advices please?

Edited by alfiemorris

what car have you got?

Hi Scott, '04 plate Mk4 Golf estate. If it stops raining, I'll strip the plug that goes into socket on car. I've already replaced the socket earlier this year. Cant think of anything else it could be on the 'van. What could possibly effectr the relay that lives in the tail of the car?

The relay is just a buzzer that makes a noise when current passes through it. Theoretically current will not pass if the bulb has blow.

Do you have more than one indicator bulb on the van? (one on the side as well as the back?) as this could cause the problem with the buzzer still going when the rear bulb has failed.

Also, if there is a short curcuit meaning other bulbs are lighting up as well as the indicator (bad earth on van light cluster) means you could get this too.

Did the towbar fitters try it on a test board in front of you after they replaced the relay ?

Hello all, I really could do with some advice please. The relay that is fitted along with a tow hitch, it keeps blowing the nearside and still sounds the tell-tell, so I dont know its not flashing at the rear of the 'van. This is the third time now, and I'm at a loss what to do. The people that fitted the bar back in '04 have been very good about it and replace it without charge. There is obviously a fault somewhere, but is it car or 'van related? any advices please?