Dartford Crossing In Windy Conditions

ericfield

Do they close the Dartford southbound crossing over the bridge to caravans in strong winds?

Just wondered what happens if you are trundling around the M25 if they shut the bridge?

In extremely high winds they have been known to close the bridge and turn one of the tunnels into a southbound BUT it is very rare.

I crossed it while towing on a very windy day. The safest speed was really only 30mph, but that was due to it being a head-on wind. They didn't shut the bridge that day, but may have if it had been a side-wind? They do shut the bridge for maintenance overnight at times, so divert traffic through one of the tunnel bores during those times.

I have to get to the Eurotunnel for noon on Tuesday ( travelling from Peterborough) and was trying to factor in travel time disruption like M25 during rush hour, M20 tunnel work back up, potential windy conditions slowing down progress and of course the Dartford crossing.

Think I better add another hour on for safe measure.

We are just over 200 miles from the tunnel, so we travel down the night before, aiming to hit the M25 in between 20:00 and 21:00 hours, we then overnight at Black Horse Farm (Caravan Club Site) where you can arrive and depart at any time of the day or night. The following morning it is then an easy 20 minute run to the terminal.

Archived