Mirrors

andy144

Just picked my van up this afternoon and noticed on the way home what a good view down the side of the caravan I had with just the car mirrors ( Hyundai Santa FE ), had extension mirrors on as well but honestly thought they were of very little benefit, if any at all. So I wondered if it was a legal requirment to use extension mirrors, can anybody shed some light on this for me. Thanks.

Andy.

Just picked my van up this afternoon and noticed on the way home what a good view down the side of the caravan I had with just the car mirrors ( Hyundai Santa FE ), had extension mirrors on as well but honestly thought they were of very little benefit, if any at all. So I wondered if it was a legal requirment to use extension mirrors, can anybody shed some light on this for me. Thanks.

Andy.

When towing, mirrors are a legal requirement to allow a view down the side of the caravan to a point 4 metres each side at a distance of 20 metres from the rear of the caravan.

If the car mirrors do not provide such a view then extension mirrors will be required.

The regulations are here. ........all 49 pages but pages 41 and 42 cover the towing aspect. ;)

I am in the same boat extension mirrors a waste of time. sorry to say yes i believe it is a legal requirement to have extension mirrors when towing, it is also a legal requirement not to have them fitted when solo

Tony G

Kia Sorrento 2. 5 CDi 59 plate Towing 2011 Swift Conqueror 645

Andy.

Hi Andy

I've a Sante Fe also and like you the car mirrors are really very good. However - firstly to comply with the law and secondly to be able to see just that bit further behind the van and also watch the wheels as I negotiate tight spots I have extension mirrors. I use the Milenco Grand Aero, one side convex and the other flat (depends if you are in UK or abroard for the side of course). I set the car mirrors to cover any blind spots which means they are set wide to catch anyone overtaking me who is very close, and use the Milenco mirrors to see the rest! mmmmm Hope that makes sense!

I can assure you there are benefits although, as you say, the existing mirrors are very good indeed.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

we have just started Caravaning and thought i wouldn't need mirrors after one trip out i went to buy some i found i couldn't see far enough down the motorway and i have a 4x4 and small caravan

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Here's a quick check to determine if you need additional towing mirrors. Park the outfit straight, and without moving the outfit, look in the car mirrors from the driver's seat, and ask yourself, "Can I see BOTH rear corners of the caravan in my mirrors?" Without moving the mirrors, now ask yourself, "Could I see a person stood 20 metres behind the outfit, and 4 meters to either side?" (that's approximately the width of two cars). If the answer to either is, "No", then you need additional mirrors to comply with the UK law. Additionally, you are specifically required to fit "suitable towing mirrors" if the caravan or trailer is wider than the rear of the towcar.

I hope that helps,

Gordon

Towing_Mirror_Setup_1.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Thanks all, Nice clear explanation from Gordon so extension mirrors it is. Heading up to Yorkshire on Sunday so will see how we get on. It's the first towing expedition for some 20 years !!!

Thanks all, Nice clear explanation from Gordon so extension mirrors it is. Heading up to Yorkshire on Sunday so will see how we get on. It's the first towing expedition for some 20 years !!!

And count how many that seems not to bother with the rules and the law by not fitting extension mirrors. :angry:

Nice little pull and nick for the boys in Blue. ;)

To be legal and see down the side of a caravan the mirrors have to be wider than the caravan and no car is over 7ft 6 wide over the mirrors . My car is one of the widest cars on the road and only just reaches 7ft 6 but I still need mirrors to get a proper view of whats at the side and behind .

Dave

Archived