Sign in to follow this  
Barry J

Lpg Warning Sticker

Don't bother buying the £1. 99 LPG Hazard Stickers off Ebay for the gas bottle locker - they bleach within 2 months - waste of time and money.

hello, i got mine from chichester caravans, £1. 50, it's not the printed type, the red vinyl is over laided on the white back ground, last just about for ever, hope this helps

I took mine off and never replaced it, much better.

I took mine off and never replaced it, much better.

Mine's faded completely and I was wondering how best to get it off - it doesn't want to peel away and I don't want to scrape it off.

Jimbo

I got my old one off with my fingernails and the used white spirit to remove the gum, rinsing with soapy water when finished.

Have now replaced with one of these;

Seems to be some form of thick plastic film.

http://www. caravanstuff4u. co. uk/LPG_Gas_Sticker. html

Edited by Barry J

Quote"I took mine off and never replaced it, much better."

It is a legal requirement to have the LPG storage locker readily identifiable, a LPG sticker must be attached.

Quote"Mine's faded completely and I was wondering how best to get it off - it doesn't want to peel away and I don't want to scrape it off."

Use a hairdryer to warm the sticker up and a plastic scraper to remove it. Remove any glue residue with white spirit.

Definitely the hairdryer is best to remove stickers etc. Probably followed by white spirit as you say. But a bit random this but did you know that rubbing on peanut butter is great for removing the usual residue left when the price ticket etc is taken off . .............. True ! :o

My Independent Service Centre give me a new one every year for a cost of £2.

I know I can get it cheaper. . but it adds to their profit on the service and at the price they charge I don't begrudge them the little extra!

G.

There are no legal requirements to mark a private vehicle that is carrying LPG for personal use only. In fact all of the regulations appear to apply to work based transportation (securing, amounts etc.) of compressed gasses and not private use. The Carraige of Dangerous Goods act does not apply for private caravans.

Any fire officer will assume that a caravan or motorhome is transporting LPG as a matter of course unless specifically informed otherwise, the only thing he won't know is how many and the sticker doesn't show that. Another reason why it is not a good idea to move it into the car as it may be missed until too late.

Edited by HairyFool

There are no legal requirements to mark a private vehicle that is carrying LPG for personal use only. In fact all of the regulations appear to apply to work based transportation (securing, amounts etc.) of compressed gasses and not private use. The Carraige of Dangerous Goods act does not apply for private caravans.

Any fire officer will assume that a caravan or motorhome is transporting LPG as a matter of course unless specifically informed otherwise, the only thing he won't know is how many and the sticker doesn't show that. Another reason why it is not a good idea to move it into the car as it may be missed until too late.

If you transport your refilled Calor bottles back home from the depot in the car, as I do, should you have a temporary LPG sticker in the car window for info. for the fire brigade ?

Bill

If you transport your refilled Calor bottles back home from the depot in the car, as I do, should you have a temporary LPG sticker in the car window for info. for the fire brigade ?

Bill

No.

There is no requirement for LPG signs for private use of cylinders. The various regulations apply only to commercial operations.

No.

There is no requirement for LPG signs for private use of cylinders. The various regulations apply only to commercial operations.

Here we go: enjoy the light reading. ;) I had to, as i have a full ADR licence.

http://www. hse. gov. uk/cdg/manual/classification. htm

http://www. roadtransport. com/RoadLegal/11948/adr-hazardous-goods. html

Following the comments stating, with what seems authority, that LPG stickers are not required I very strongly suggest that you read BS 5482-2 and BS EN 1949.

The one sentence which applies in this case is as follows:

"A notice shall be permanently fixed to the outside of the (gas) housing housing door to indicate the presence of LPG."

The word "gas" has been put in by me just to clarify the point that it is the Gas Locker being written about.

The important word in the whole sentence is "SHALL", this means that it IS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT>

Don't bother buying the £1. 99 LPG Hazard Stickers off Ebay for the gas bottle locker - they bleach within 2 months - waste of time and money.

sorry but can't agree, got mine off ebay, same price, red vinyl, now been on 'van for over 12 mths and it's almost as good as the day i put it on, guess it depends on which vendor you buy from,

Definitely the hairdryer is best to remove stickers etc. Probably followed by white spirit as you say. But a bit random this but did you know that rubbing on peanut butter is great for removing the usual residue left when the price ticket etc is taken off . .............. True ! :o

but what do you use to get the peanut butter off ? :huh: :D

. ..............yes mine has bleached in three months. ..BUT. ..................who is going to expect a caravan to have other than a gas bottle in its lockers?

Not the emergency services and probably not for many of 'joe public' either. ...

geoff

I think it doesn't matter which vendor you buy the sticker off. It is more a question of how much direct sunlight the stickers are subjected to.

That being the case, and taking the last two years british weather into account, I recon they will probably last for about 10 years nowadays. ;)

Thats because they are made from inferior materials in somebody's spare bed room :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The ones i offered FOC where made of decent stuff and 'should' have lasted a while (i think i binned about a dozen of them only last week)..... sad thing is that UVA/B will fade anything that is manmade. ... it may take a while but it will fade - material, slabs paint etc. .. fact .

As previous poster said - its all down to sunlight exposure. Place your next one on a vertical surface ( i. e side of the locker) instead of a horizontal one (i. e the lid) and it will last longer.

just for demo purposes, buy another and cover 50% of it with masking tape . .. peel MT off after 6mths and see the difference.

Edited by digga

but what do you use to get the peanut butter off ? :huh: :D

That's easy, the smell of peanut butter will attract the mice and other vermin and they will clean it off.

That's what i use on mice traps, and the little critters love it. B) only the once tho' :D

Here we go: enjoy the light reading. ;) I had to, as i have a full ADR licence.

http://www. hse. gov. u. ..ssification. htm

http://www. roadtrans. ..dous-goods. html

I have read them. ..all the way through . ..many times!

You are not suggesting that orange diamond Hazchem cards (the only sign authorised as an ADR requirement) should also be attached to cars and caravans?

The various regulations are for commercial operators not for private users carrying small quantities of LPG.

ADR has exemptions set out in part 1. 1. 3. The main ones are:

Private use of vehicles. There are now limits on the total quantity that may be carried under this exemption. Note that other legislation may limit carriage of petrol etc.

Calor Gas :regarding the carriage of LPG cylinders

1. 0 Who do the Regulations Apply to?

The Regulations apply to any person responsible for the carriage by

road of dangerous goods (in tankers or packages) in connection with

their work.

Flogas regarding the carriage of LPG includes:

"The requirements do not apply to the transport of LPG by private persons for personal or domestic use. . ........"

Phew for a moment there thought I might have to plaster the van in LPG stickers

Phew for a moment there thought I might have to plaster the van in LPG stickers

guess they'd be handy for covering up any little scratches that tin tents tend to pick up ;):D

Following the comments stating, with what seems authority, that LPG stickers are not required I very strongly suggest that you read BS 5482-2 and BS EN 1949.

The one sentence which applies in this case is as follows:

"A notice shall be permanently fixed to the outside of the (gas) housing housing door to indicate the presence of LPG."

The word "gas" has been put in by me just to clarify the point that it is the Gas Locker being written about.

The important word in the whole sentence is "SHALL", this means that it IS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT>

Not unless you are looking for BS approval which is not a requirement for private individuals These are the standards to which the installer must adhere to so the caravan maker has to apply them. The regulatory requirements are the Carraige of Dangerous Goods Act and is this case do not apply to private vehicles unless for work purposes.

It has only recently (in the last few years) been realised that a community nurse has to have compressed gas stickers on their own vehicle if they transport medical gases as a part of their job, the patients still don't have to. My wife used to collect the liquid nitrogen for her GP Practice when these requirements were raised.

Lots of cars run on LPG, dont see a sticker on them, do you.

Hi

Is the concensus that the locker stickers are not mandatory and that I don't have to have training to collect my LPG in the car boot, nor have someone in front with a red flag.

Question: Is LPG classed as an inflammable liquid or gas??? Surely it can be both.

Dave

Purely in the terms of physics the liqiud is not flammable but then I am not sure that any liquid is. It is only as it converts to gas that it can light. When a cylinder explosion occurs the tank ruptures allowing the liquid to rapidly vapourise and thus provide the fuel for the explosion. even liquid petrol does not burn but the fumes it gives off

On that basis the top of the LPG cylider is gas therefore is flammable.

Although again the regulations do not apply as a private individual the absolute recommendation is that LPG cylinders should be transported upright. This is because the weakest point is the valve and if damaged upright will only leak gas. The the leak occurs below the fluid level then the pressure in the cylinder will push out the liquid which will rapidly expand in the atmosphere multiplying the effect of the leak considerably.

Incidentally contrary to much literature oxygen is not flammable it is just dangerous because anything else will burn faster with it.