Assistance Required

Nigel

Currently we pull our Senator Arizona (KW 1470kg) on the back of a Vectra 2. 2DTI (KW140kg)

We purchased the van at the start of October last year with no thought to weight ratios, silly, yes, but I pulled it down to Brixham with no problem durring half term.

Now having taken advise from the CC I am told the unit is dangerous, slightly concerning! It would appear that the answer is to sell our much loved van and buy one of the Padgent (Baily) range, where the KW is much lower, although they still say the nose weight is wrong.

Does anyone else have any advice or experience in this area, before I do a deal tomorrow at our local dealers? after all Easter is aprouching!

Yours confused

:(

Currently we pull our Senator Arizona (KW 1470kg) on the back of a Vectra 2. 2DTI (KW140kg)

We purchased the van at the start of October last year with no thought to weight ratios, silly, yes, but I pulled it down to Brixham with no problem durring half term.  

Now having taken advise from the CC I am told the unit is dangerous, slightly concerning! It would appear that the answer is to sell our much loved van and buy one of the Padgent (Baily) range, where the KW is much lower, although they still say the nose weight is wrong.   

Does anyone else have any advice or experience in this area, before I do a deal tomorrow at our local dealers? after all Easter is aprouching!

Yours confused

:(

3073[/snapback]

The other option of course is to change the towing vehicle !! Also there are some useful links on Caravan Links - under the topic Towing Links.

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

We are now looking at a two year old Hyundai Santa Fe (2litre diesel) for about £9000 does anyone know what they are like, fuel economy etc? This at least solves the weight problem. I did use the guide from the web page above; unfortunately it confirmed the fate of the Vectra! or the van and the good lady likes the van.

Thanks

Nigel

I bought an Arizona in May 2003 and I tow it with a VW Passat Estate tdi 130. It is as steady as a rock. I took the car to a weighbridge and it was about 125kg heavier than the handbook figure. Car manufacturers tend to give figures for the base models and do not add extras such as air conditioning, etc. So take yours to a public weighbridge before you rush into any hasty decisions.

The Arizona also has a very generous payload allowance and of course your 'van will only weigh 1472kg if you let it. The factor that is probably the most important is how you load it. If you have room carry the heavy items ( awning, etc.) in your car. Even on a roof rack if you have to.

I weighed all of my equipment just for peace of mind. You will be amazed at just how much you can put in the van before reaching it's maximum weight. Assuming you need your full payload allowance the Pagents allowance is 50kg less than the Arizona's, so if you changed you would have to put 50kg of gear in the car anyway.

If you van towed without any problems you are probably alright. My guess is that your car weighs more than you think and your caravan isn't overloaded and therefor also doesn't weigh as much as you think it should.

You've got a fantastic van, don't downgrade it.

On another point however your outfit must also be legal re your licence and gross train weight.

Hi Nigel,

Before you sell anything check the vehicle towing limit as quoted by Vauxhall. If you are within this limit I would then have it weighed. If you are outside Vauxhalls towing limit then it is a non starter. These two checks will give you the facts. The theoretical ratio of our outfit is 82% but as there are just the two of us we put all the heavy gear including the awning in the car,this reduces the already low ratio even further. Check out the NTTA side for the legal side. :)

http://www. ntta. co. uk/law/preparing/preparing. htm

Frank

I would take your Vectra to a weigh bridge to find out how much it does weigh my 406 wieghs 200kg more than is stated in the hand book also have a look at www. whattowcar. com note they work on "Ballasted weight" for the tow car.

Keith

3207[/snapback]

Took my A4 to the weighbridge and found that it was a whopping 115Kg heavier than the CC or handbook quoted. Best advice take car to weighbridge. ....you may be pleasantly surprised!

What body is this Vectra? If its the hatch then i think the towing limit is 1500kg which means its theoretically capable of restarting on a certain slope- it does not mean its safe.

Even with the addition of air conditioning weight I still think the car is too light for the outfit. It might seem to be OK but what will it behave like going down a steepish section of road or when a lorry or coach passes with cross winds?