New Caravan/new Towbar?

PeteS

We are in the process of looking for a new/near new caravan and they all seem to come with the Alko type hitches.

I have just changed the car so no Towbar is fitted at the moment. Now I have never used the Alko type hitch, is there anything I need to know before having a new Towbar fitted regards these type of hitches?

Any comments/help appreciated.

In case it makes a difference the vehicle is a Kia Sedona.

Many thanks

Pete

Hi Pete,

I believe that you should use an Alko 50mm extended neck towball on the towing vehicle. The extended neck gives enough room for the more bulky Alko hitch to move around. Make sure that the towball and hitch are kept really clean and rember that they do not require grease or oil because this will stop the friction pads from working!

Yossa

Hi Pete,

You only need the Al-Ko special towball if you have a standard bolt on type towball. If you have a swan neck type or detachable, these are OK. The Al-Ko special towball has an extended neck under the ball to allow the hitch to fully articulate. Other than that, provide you keep the friction pads and towball absolutely free of grease or oil, you should have no problems.

Brian

Guest john1215
Hi Pete,

You only need the Al-Ko special towball if you have a standard bolt on type towball. If you have a swan neck type or detachable, these are OK. The Al-Ko special towball has an extended neck under the ball to allow the hitch to fully articulate. Other than that, provide you keep the friction pads and towball absolutely free of grease or oil, you should have no problems.

Brian

3344[/snapback]

I'm just confirming what Brian said and to add re the detachable. I've got a Brink detachable fitted and use an AKS 1300 hitch and it works no problem.

john1215

Thank you one and all, I knew there was something to watch out for with the new type of hitches.

Ordered the new van today delivery in 2 weeks Bailey Pagent Monarch series 5. We had a good look at all the EW 2 berths but this one seemed to have all we need especially the shower entrance ( I am RBKA).

Just got to get the towbar sorted now.

Many thanks

Pete 1 happy bunny