Hi there caravan dwellers, I live in my caravan and have blocked the sink. I have ignored it for a while as it has been good weather and I have been doing the dishes outside, I am trying to get the van ready for winter so now I haqve to face this blocked sink. I have tried a few things to unblock but have not yet tried a sink unblocker for household sinks as I have been warned against this as apparently caravan sinks and pipes are not robust enough to deal with these chemicals. This probably sounds like an easy task to sort for hardened caravan users, I am learning all things the hard way and would be grateful for any advice. If this is helpful or relevant I have a ten year old hobby caravan. I look forward to any help you could offer. :rolleyes:

Edited by emmalina

Go our side put a bung in out lets (half potato) will do Then put some cup of soda crystals in sink and run hot water till the water comes in to sink leave for as long as possible then release water and hopefully its cleared smile.gif

Edited by Rita

Is there some sort of trap underneath the sink? We had one on our previous caravan which blocked with lots of gunk and eventually it wouldn't drain. It was fairly easy to clean but make sure the sink isn't full of water when you remove it!!

If it's a block in the pipe then there are a number of things you could do, firstly try a sink plunger to try and blow the blockage out. If this doesn't work then you may need to bung the outside waste outlet and try hot water along with a drain cleaner. I wouldn't think it would damage the pipework and avoid pouring it into the sink, try to pour it directly down the plug hole and leave to work for an hour or so.

Ian

Thanx!! You've been really helpful, I will get on it tomorrow and hopefully have a functioning sink by the end of the day. This forum is great isnt it. I am about to start doing loads of work on my caravan, fitting a free standing gas cooker, a woodburner, new flooring etc before the winter sets in so no doubt I will be on here again in the near future. Thanx again. Peace and love from emma in the woods xx

Thanx!! You've been really helpful, I will get on it tomorrow and hopefully have a functioning sink by the end of the day. This forum is great isnt it. I am about to start doing loads of work on my caravan, fitting a free standing gas cooker, a woodburner, new flooring etc before the winter sets in so no doubt I will be on here again in the near future. Thanx again. Peace and love from emma in the woods xx

One reason caravan sinks get blocked is because the bottom waste (outlet) pipe is often "corrugated" to allow for ease of bending whilst it's being fitted in the first place. The gunge gets stuck to the ridges and eventually it gets blocked.

Several people on the forums replace these pipes with "proper" rigid waste pipe ( smooth pipe) and "elbow connectors" etc.

I would suggest that you DO NOT use a sink plunger as it will probably push off the pipe connectors under the sink and deposit the smelly waste gunge all over the place :o

My first thought would be to fill the sink with warm water and working from last point of exit of the waste pipe underneath of the caravan, pull off the connectors working back towards the sink and using a piece of stiff'ish but flexible wire loosen the blockage.

WEAR RUBBER GLOVES AND DON'T GET YOUR FACE UNDER THE BITS YOU'RE WORKING ON AS IT WILL BE SMELLY STUFF THAT COMES OUT :o:(

Jim

Edited by JamesF

I agree no sink plunger and no domestic sink/blockage chemicals,

they produce gas to force out blockages.

Soda crystals and hot water, block the outlet, and leave to soak.

Once it is unblocked, repeat. Then avoid putting fat or solid

waste down the plughole. We rinse through at the end of every trip

with Milton tabs.

Definitely NO plunger. At Christmas I made the 'schoolboy error' of having exterior waste pipe hanging just down into the waste trap in the wastemaster. This small trap froze (-14) and blocked the end of the waste. Eventually ran some water into the sink and would not empty. I cupped my hand and pressed down over the plug hole. It emptied OK. Into the lined knife drawer rolleyes.gif

A question for Emma.

Do you live in a touring van or a static one. The replys thus far have assumed it's a touring one but you comments about a cooker and woodburning stove suggest otherwise.

poolebob

I am about to start doing loads of work on my caravan, fitting a free standing gas cooker, a woodburner, new flooring etc before the winter sets in

Invest £20 in a CO monitor/alarm

take the plug out of the sink. .

then get the garden hoes -outside and on its lowest pressure force water up from the drain point outlet -- not to much -- just some then let run free -- this will gently shift the muck inside the pipes -- BUT don't use anything other than low pressure.

when it is running pass the hose through the window and flush through from sink side. .

Take care not to use too much pressure.

I flush mine through regularly like this with a gentle hoes pipe

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club