Sign in to follow this  
morningstar

Status 530 Antenna - Poor Reception

Hi

I am having a lot of problems with my tv reception in my caravan. I have now been on 3 recent hols with my newish caravan and at each location I have struggled to get a reception of any value on the tv. I have a status 530 antenna and I then use this to attach to a digibox via coax cable from the caravan point into the digibox. When I then run the digibox set up the best signal I can get so far is only 40% and hence very few channels are located (usually only bbc1 and a couple of others). I have tried rotating the aerial in virtually every compass point through 360 degrees, and have tried horizontal and vertical, but it never gets better than 40% and once I have settled for that, then the reception seems to fluctuate so much even when I have stopped rotating the aeriel.

Am I doing something wrong here?? I have just about given up now and am thinking of going for the satellite dish open and taking my sky box with me.

Any ideas?? Latest campsites visited, if this helps, are Hargill House, North Yorks, and Coed-y-llwyn

Many thanks

I have always found the caravan bollard connection was freeview

why are you confusing it with the digibox and aerial?

The only failure to get a signal with a dish was in a

an old quarry site with almost vertical sides.

Edited by gumdrop

Hi

Do you have a booster box for the signal? I know it sounds silly, but if so, is it switched on - red LED lit? If it is on and the LED is not lit, the booster box may need replacing. I had this issue about three years ago in a Bessacarr.

Russell

I have a new Elddis ODDYSEY 540, the ariel is pants !!!! i now use a freesat system using and old sky dish that i sprayed up. Have it on a new tripod. I use a digital satalite compass and can set up in 15 mins.

You can also use this site . .. http://www. dishpointer. com/

We have no trouble with the Status 530 on our Pegasus (unless in a generally poor reception area). We usually look at other vans to see the preferred direction and then re-tune the TV. If we find that a slightly different direction gives a better signal we re-tune again, usually getting more channels.

We did have trouble picking up a radio signal, though, and that was due to a faulty connection on the coax lead to the radio - needed resoldering.

We have exactly the same problem as morningstar except our status is a 315 and the digitv has the freeviewbox already inside the tv set.

The setup and signal inside the house works a1. however the van parked on the drive gets no signal at all. in the house we have a dinosour aerial system, so no new antenna or technology there.

inside the van there seems no difference when the booster box is on or off or excluded from the circuit.

anybody been inside a status dome to check if everything is wired up ok?

I had a similar problem on my van. After it came back from Baileys having a new roof fitted they put a new status aerial on and a new booster box but I could not get all channels.

Every time I plugged the aerial lead in the red light on booster went out. The problem was the booster it was incompatible with the aerial. The writing on the aerial was red and the

writing on the booster was blue. Changed the booster for a red writing one and had no more problems. Hope thats clear.

Doosan

Thanks for the replies. Yes I have tried looking at the other caravans and where they are pointed and that doesn't make a difference other than the signal receptions drops even more, sometimes to 0% signal. I have looked at the booster box and the red light is lit. My TV is an older one and is not digital hence why we run the aeriel cable into the digibox rather than straight into the TV. We haven't yet been on a site which provides a tv connection point with the electric hook up etc.

Any other ideas anyone. Seroiously considering satelite dish now unless anyone thinks antenna may be faulty???

thanks

Hi

I am having a lot of problems with my tv reception in my caravan.

Any ideas?? Latest campsites visited, if this helps, are Hargill House, North Yorks, and Coed-y-llwyn

Many thanks

Coed y Llwyn at Ffestiniog has now changed over to digital. However it is a repeater transmitter and only has three muxes hence your lack of channels. In addition the aerial is vertical polarisation

Hargill House Caravan site in in an area which has not yet switched over to digital so any digital signal will be on low power until after changeover.

To make it worse DTV set top boxes, especially cheap ones, can be poor in coping with low power signals

I bought a £99 TV from Comet, it won't pick up freeview signal from the van or from my house aerial. I have a more expensive TV in the bedroom at home that works no problem! I feel that some TV's are more forgiving with weak signals when tuning to freeview digital tv. I helped tune a neighbours new Avtex tv and found you could turn the status aerial almost through 360 deg and still pick up a signal. I just use a Maplin sat system and always set up away from trees. ..

thats why i went to satellite couse since the tv signal has gone to digital i have found that the status aerial signal is rubbish is was ok till the switchover, martin

I have a 6 year old 530 and box which gets first class results.

On the booster box as well as the red light there is a Hi - Lo setting, make sure it is on Hi. New caravans are notorious for have badly wired coax plugs so check them all. Also try running a coax from the booster box straight to the digi box i. e. bypassing the short internal length in the caravan. If no joy swap booster boxes with somebody as they do fail. Remember though there are different booster boxes and the colour of the paint on the booster box must match the colour on the underside of the aerial.

I was on a rally last week when we found 2 faulty booster boxes and the owners had given up on TV.

Bill

Hi

I am having a lot of problems with my tv reception in my caravan. I have now been on 3 recent hols with my newish caravan and at each location I have struggled to get a reception of any value on the tv. I have a status 530 antenna and I then use this to attach to a digibox via coax cable from the caravan point into the digibox. When I then run the digibox set up the best signal I can get so far is only 40% and hence very few channels are located (usually only bbc1 and a couple of others). I have tried rotating the aerial in virtually every compass point through 360 degrees, and have tried horizontal and vertical, but it never gets better than 40% and once I have settled for that, then the reception seems to fluctuate so much even when I have stopped rotating the aeriel.

Am I doing something wrong here?? I have just about given up now and am thinking of going for the satellite dish open and taking my sky box with me.

Many thanks

Contact the tech support at:

http://www. gradeuk. co. uk

I've found they were terrific. My 530 had a dead component in the actual aerial and they helped me resolve it.

Also make sure you've the correct mix of Orange and Purple 530 kit!! (it gives you all the details on the website) The original 530 had the signal booster circuitry in the actual "Aerial" and the "booster " box was just a diplexor, but the later model has all the active stuff in the Booster Box ( It will work as a booster with ANY TV aerial plugged in) and the aierial is just an "aerial in a plastic case"

Hi

Do you have a booster box for the signal? I know it sounds silly, but if so, is it switched on - red LED lit? If it is on and the LED is not lit, the booster box may need replacing. I had this issue about three years ago in a Bessacarr.

Russell

I've been guilty of this in the past. ... Oh dear - I can't get any tv (freeview) reception so need to get the sat dish out. Doh - turn on the booster box.

A "last ditch" check is to look in all the coax plugs to make sure the assembler has not left a stray shielding wire shorting to the core. This has been a quite common fault and one easily corrected with a bit more care than the original factory person gave.

I have had two 530 aerials and both were good where a viable signal existed. Where the digital signal is not viable we use a satellite system but this inevitably is more hassle setting it out and aligning compared to simply pushing up and directing the terrestrial TV aerial.

Remember the South of the UK is amongst the last areas to get the "digital full strength roll-out" so if I recall the dates correctly our signal should be much better starting the 8th Feb 2012 and be all done by the Olympics.

For a start you should not be turning your aerial through 360 deg. Look at other 'vans around you and on nearby properties and set you aerial roughly the same both in direction and polarity. The sharpness of the directivity of the aerial is not that great - be within about +/-20 deg and you will get a signal.

As another has said Wales is now all digital but N Yorks isn't. What is more in areas that have not yet been switched over only the main stations will have digital. Hargill House should have a good signal from Bilsdale which is on the top of the Yorks Wolds almost due east. It is a main station so does have digital - it does not go DSO until next year.

However there is a main problem which most people overlook. If you have tuned the TV on one site and then move to another served by a different transmitter the TV may well find the new stations but handle them as if they are <additional> stations and plant them at memory 800 and above. What you should do is search through the menu system for something call Factory Defaults or System Reset or similar and select it. This will wipe the TV settings and invite you to start up as if this were a new and otherwise unused TV. When it tunes you should then find the channels in the right places.

Assuming you know where you are going, before leaving home have a look at www. uktv. info which shows the coverage areas and - most importantly - the channel numbers in use at the transmitter serving your proposed location. Note these down and when you get to site set up to do a manual tune (if your TV allows it) and scan on the specific channels noted. It is usually much quicker than letting the TV do it itself.

Finally check all of your aerial connections. I had problems with my Status 315 and found on searching that two out of three connections were either incorrectly made or had a short circuit. Thereafter in a reasonable signal area it worked perfectly well.