Sign in to follow this  
Andy Wilde

Removing Black Streaks

Hi I am new to this forum, and find it very useful.

Black streaks on the sides/front/back no problem cleaning them off with a product called MUC-OFF it is brilliant.

However I do have a big problem on my 3 year old Bailey Unicorn 111 with my rubber/plastic seals between the body panels, on the corners.

They are very badly markedwith little black dots? it looks like the staining that is sometimes seen on seals around baths and showers, I have tried a number of proprietory cleaners "it improves it but not completely.

Anyone got the same? can anyone suggest a solution please.

I use MuckOff which is technically and off-road push bike cleaner (Halfords stock it.) I just spray it on, leave it for a few minutes, then using a long-handled car brush wash it over and off. Works a treat.

I brought my van back from storage to do some minor maintenance, but looking around where items 

are sealed to body with what appears to be white/grey mastic?, its looks like a mottled black dots

all around it, has anybody a good solution how to clean it, nothing too drastic, once cleaned i can

get on with rest of body, im putting van up for sale before new season starts, and I want it spick and span

looking, it helps with a sale...

On 26/04/2019 at 09:34, 1300SA said:

Hi I am new to this forum, and find it very useful.

Black streaks on the sides/front/back no problem cleaning them off with a product called MUC-OFF it is brilliant.

However I do have a big problem on my 3 year old Bailey Unicorn 111 with my rubber/plastic seals between the body panels, on the corners.

They are very badly markedwith little black dots? it looks like the staining that is sometimes seen on seals around baths and showers, I have tried a number of proprietory cleaners "it improves it but not completely.

Anyone got the same? can anyone suggest a solution please.

Remove the seals front and back and chuck them away.

They are not critical to water resistance,got rid of ours a year ago after trying to replace them with new ones.

Personally I think it looks better without them.

Sadly the "outer" seals are fixed and won't shift.

Ian

• Like 1

The seals are a bit of a pain but if you take out the plastic poppers and pull the panel the rubber seals come off; you can then give them a good scrub or even some anti mould treatment-then put them back properly and they won't move. However as above some people simply take them off or use silicone sealant on the joins. 

On 04/09/2016 at 11:56, The Coachman said:

I reckon black streaks are caused with water/ rain running down the van, agreed !

So the rain is washing all the dirt off the roof therefore depositing this dirt in small particles thus the streaking marks.

Remedy, keep the source as clean as possible.

I polish my roof at least twice a year and seldom have a problem with streaking.

This is the answer. I believe the dirt runs from the roof and down the sides where it collects around the windows, then streaks down from the window rubbers,

I clean my roof regularly through the year, at the start of spring I clean, polish & wax the roof which makes follow up cleaning much easier. Once the roof is clean make sure you clean inside the awning rail with a suitable brush, and clean around the window rubbers.

A good clean lie this at the start of the year usually prevents any streaks for me.

• Like 1