Sign in to follow this  
Ribs

Android App

Will this work with the latest Blackberry Playbook and if yes how would I download it please?

Not yet, there are plans to make this happen in the future. When a fairly stable test version is avaliable, I will make it known in this thread.

Not yet, there are plans to make this happen in the future. When a fairly stable test version is avaliable, I will make it known in this thread.

Nice one I'll keep an eye on the thread. Cheers

Evening guys and girls.

Sadly, I haven't been able give Caravan Buddy the love it's deserved recently, hence the lack of updates and lack of a playbook version.

It seems that the Camping and Caravanning Club have once again updated the website. This results in the following error showing in Caravan Buddy when you try and searc using the C&CC network:

The Camping And Caravanning website gave a response Caravan Buddy could not understand. Be aware you can only search sites in the UK right now.

This will show even when searching UK sites.

For now, you may wish to use the UKCS search instead until I get this fixed, and issue an update.

By happy considence, I was planning to work on the app tonight anyway (who needs a Friday night on the town?!), but this time will now sadly be spent getting things working rather than new features.

As usual, I'll post here when I do the update.

Regards,

Richard.

Edited by Ribs

No worries Richard, will keep an eye out for updates!

Afternoon all,

A bit of good and bad news.

I've got CCC searching working again. It seems that the CCC has actually reverted to the old system, which made it a lot easier for yours truly. I've just had to merge some old code and tweak here and there. So that's now under intense testing and should be ready for release tomorrow.

The bad news is that I actually miss the old way of doing things, it was nice to be able to punch in a town, a radius and let the app do the work for you. Now I have to remember what towns are in what parts of the country, and some of the searching options have been taken away.

I can't say I blame the club for switching back to the old way of searching. They have had nothing but negative feedback since they changed it.

There is, however, a very interesting possibility of being able to search by map with the CCC website redesign. I stumbled across this quite by accident. This is a feature that people have been screaming for since I first made the app. It's only a possibility at this stage, and some devices won't support it (anything older than about 2 years, and anything budget end, really), but it's an interesting possibility, *if* I can pull it off. I won't make any promises, as this won't be easy, and my free time is still pretty limited right now.

Other changes to come tomorrow:

* Fix crash whilst loading some UKCS sites.

* Huge speed-up when starting the app if you have Caravan Buddy Plus installed. The app was always slower when starting with the plus key installed. It should now be about the same speed as the 'non plus' version.

* Caravan Buddy can now be installed onto SD for any version of Android 2. 2 or above. Previously this required a custom ROM installed on the phone.

* And of course, searching with the camping and caravanning club will work again. Hopefully.

Until tomorrow,

Richard.

Hi Ribs.

I just recently upgraded from iPhone to Android, so I finally bothered to read this thread. What a lot of work you seem to have volunteered yourself for!

Anyway, I went to download it and it tells me that the app needs permission to directly call phone numbers without my intervention. I'm assuming that your app doesn't actually do that, but why does it need the permission?

Hi Ribs.

I just recently upgraded from iPhone to Android, so I finally bothered to read this thread. What a lot of work you seem to have volunteered yourself for!

Anyway, I went to download it and it tells me that the app needs permission to directly call phone numbers without my intervention. I'm assuming that your app doesn't actually do that, but why does it need the permission?

Because it calls premium rate numbers to make me lots of money, mwhahahaha!

Actually, it's so that you can call sites directly from the app. Caravan Buddy will call on Android's dialler to achieve this, and requires that permission to allow it to do so. Any phone call made will just appear in the usual fashion, as if you typed it in and pressed dial, it won't be hidden in any way. Caravan Buddy will only call a site when you tell it to, and you can only tell it to once you've found a site to call, so you shouldn't be doing it by mistake. This feature can be handy if you're making last minute arrangements and want to book there and then.

Also, 1. 3. 2 has just been released, with the fixes detailed in yesterday's post. Updating is recommended if you use the C&CC club or UKCS searching.

Have fun!

Richard.

Any news on Blackberry Playbook support yet?

In that case I'll definitely install it. :)

Downloaded ready for playing later, ta.

:D

Any news on Blackberry Playbook support yet?

Thanks for asking.

Short Answer:

Not great. I'll hopefully have something ready for testing by the end of the weekend.

Long answer with a bit of a rant:

I've just wasted the past hour of my life installing and jumping through a utterly ridiculous number of hoops getting this RIM Blackberry plugin installed and working. The way they have approached this process is pretty poor in my view. Google does it much, much better.

The blackberry instructions are inconsistent, vague and fail to explain why you are doing certain steps, mearly that they have to be done, and they seem to just jump all over the place, visiting link after link just to step through the process. Sadly I became a little stuck with getting the signing keys to work with blackberry's servers (I seemingly only get 5 chances to get them working), so I've had to re-order some more, a process that takes around two hours. Why this takes two hours, and why I have to register the signing keys with blackberry is a mystery to me. With Google, I was able to do the whole thing on my own computer in seconds.

I also have to install VMWare player to get a playbook simulator working. This was another annoying hoop to jump through, and is being stubborn in starting on my computer. As I write this, I still have not got it working. Indecently, google provide a simulator for testing, that "just works" right inside the software they provide.

In the mean time, whilst waiting 2 hours for my keys, I thought I'd use blackberry tools to give the source code of Caravan Buddy a 'once over' for compatibility, as I know that Caravan Buddy uses some features which the blackberry software cannot handle. So far, we've lost the map feature, and the app will look even more ugly as it doesn't support any Android functions beyond version 2. 3. 3 (which was released December 2010 - an age in smartphone development), there looks to be no possibility of a "plus" version.

Once I get these signing keys and VMWare player sorted out, I *should* have something working by the weekend (I won't have time to try again until then).

But seriously blackberry; shame on you. This could've and should've been so much easier than this.

I haven't given up (yet), I'm determined to get this working. I've just given up for this evening, and I have a bit of a headache.

Regards,

Richard.

Hi Richard it looks as if you have been working really hard on this and a VERY big well done for your labour of love, was just curious if a Nokia symbian version would be available ?

very best regards

Shawn gemma and kids

Hey, thanks for the effort Richard, it's really appreciated. I was hoping to purchase the + version but nevermind if it can't be done.

Cheers :)

was just curious if a Nokia symbian version would be available ?

There will definitely not be a symbian version. Sorry.

So, a couple of updates today:

Android

It appears I either forgot to activate (or Google Play cocked up) the update to Caravan Buddy that I wrote over a week ago. That got fixed today, so the update should finally be hitting your devices soon.

I have some pretty nice features planned for 1. 4. One of which will hopefully finally stop Caravan Buddy being so god-awful ugly to look at. And I'm hoping to have a map with an overlay of search results for C&CC searching. It looks fairly tricky, but technically possible, and I do enjoy a challenge.

Blackberry

I will be starting a new blackberry thread when I do an actual release, so we can keep things separate, otherwise it will get fairly confusing going forward.

Okay, so another update to the blackberry 'journey':

I finally got VMWare player running, so now I can at least simulate a blackberry playbook so I can at least see if Caravan Buddy will work. It's slow, very slow, and full of graphical glitches and all sorts of horrible things, but at least it works.

So, behold, there are screenshots:

post-34880-0-67287700-1337540294_thumb.jpg

post-34880-0-24166900-1337540308_thumb.png

post-34880-0-33133300-1337540318_thumb.jpg

post-34880-0-53594400-1337540328_thumb.jpg

It's still rough around the edges, and there are some visual artefacts on the screen (but I think that's caused by the simulator), but it is at least working, mostly.

We've lost some more features:

* Maps do not work (can possibly be worked around)

* Caravan Buddy Plus does not work (no work around)

* The advert banners show an ugly black and red error message (can possibly be worked around)

* Navigating to a site does not work (no work around that I can see)

* Calling a site does not work (which I guess makes sense on a playbook)

* Playing videos does not work (can possibly be worked around)

* Playing video reviews does not work (can possibly be worked around)

* None of the "Handy Tools" work, nor will they install (no work around that I can see)

So there is still plenty of work to do. Some of the above can probably be fixed fairly easily. Some of it not. One thing I won't do is release a sub-standard piece of software; I'd rather it be late and worth waiting for than rushed and broken.

So yeah, I'm making progress. Slow, painful progress. I have some time off work midweek, so I should be able to send out a test version to willing testers soon.

Regards,

Richard.

Wow that's great news. You can count me in as a tester if you're short of volunteers.

Richard, can you update the plus key so it looks for my SD card too? Not the end of the world if you can't but no harm in asking!

Richard, can you update the plus key so it looks for my SD card too? Not the end of the world if you can't but no harm in asking!

Yeah, forgot about the plus key. Will add that to the "to do" list!

Afternoon all,

An update on the blackberry situation:

The tools that blackberry provide are utter Rubbish. I could use stronger words, but I fear the admins may tell me off. I do wonder what kind of QA RIM have done on this before releasing, because some of this stuff really is inexcusable.

I am STILL trying to get developer keys. I've sent off my third order now, and they are STILL not working, giving me some lies about a pin I gave being incorrect. I've made a post on the blackberry forums, so hopefully someone will be able to help me. If I cannot get these developer keys sorted out, there will be no blackberry version of Caravan Buddy.

In terms of what I've now got working, it looks like this:

* Maps now work

* Videos probably work

* Video reviews probably work

The rest is "as above" from the post I made eariler.

I say "probably work", as every time I tried to get the videos working, the browser in the simulator crashed, "in theory" it should now work, but I literally have no way of testing it. Ironically, I've been forced to use my Android phone to develop the blackberry version, as the blackberry simulator keeps constantly freezing and glitching like crazy, so most of the time I cannot see the buttons on the app to actually use it for testing.

Like I said, inexcusable.

Whilst I wait for blackberry to get back to me, I am going to continue working on the Android version now. This should hopefully help with the headache I've once again inherited.

Thank you for not giving up :)

I for one really appreciate what you are doing :)

Okay, I've been working on Caravan Buddy this afternoon.

1. 4 is well on the way, but is not finished. There are a couple of cute features in there which I have already found helpful.

Blackberry version is making progress as well. I'll have a . bar package ready for testing by this time tomorrow. I already have a couple of willing testers, but I'd like a few more if possible.

If you're willing to test, and you're able to install . bar files onto your blackberry manually (as in, without using app world), then fire me a private message with your e-mail address and I'll fire you a test version. Installing . bar files outside of the blackberry appworld is a little tricky. It seems the easiest method is here:

And you can download the software from here:

http://ddpb. dauden. vn/

Bear in mind I don't have a Windows PC or a blackberry playbook to test this with. Don't be angry if it doesn't work or breaks something. If you're not willing to try this method, then I can't say I blame you. But you'll need some way of getting . bar files installed outside of the app world.

Most things appear to be working now, but I really need someone to test on a proper, real world device before I dare to upload it to the app world.

Things still not working:

* Handy Tools - this is likely to be removed when the app is finally published

* Banner advertisements - probably should get this fixed. ..

Regards,

Richard.

That's great Richard! Count be in for a bit of testing, will pm you for the bar file.

Hi Ribbs,

just a thank you from me I have been watching this tread for some time and have just changed to an android phone and downloaded your app. It's great and easy to use.

Thanks

Dave

Another quick update for tonight.

Android update

Turns out the "Plus" key doesn't work too well on the HTC One X phone. The One S and One V phones may be affected as well. I think this is actually a bug from HTC's side. But please be aware that it may not work for you if you buy the key. I have been unable to reproduce the bug at my end, and unless someone is willing to buy me a £500 phone, I don't think I'll be able to fix it any time soon. So please be aware before buying, unless you want to buy anyway, but you may have to uninstall and put up with the banner ads if you do.

Blackberry update

I've managed to "merge" the Blackberry and Android code now. This basically means it's about a 2 minute job to flip between making a Android . apk file and a Blackberry . bar file (these are the 'installer' files the systems use to install the app). It also means that I'm only coding one project now as well, so whatever features appear in one version should then appear in the next, assuming it's something the Blackberry compatibility layer can cope with (some features, such as satnaving to the side have been lost). The code is now also intelligent enough to know not to attempt to do certain things on Blackberry, making development for me much, much easier.

Previously, I was maintaining two "forks" of Caravan Buddy. Meaning when I made a change in one version, I had to make a change in the other. This is a very quick way of giving me a headache and the perfect way to introduce stupid bugs, which nobody wants.

Long and short of it, the Blackberry version should mostly keep feature parity with the Android version. The Android version will always be a little bit better, and will integrate better, but that's the nature of the beast.

The Blackberry version has been e-mailed to testers tonight. If you want to join in, send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send you a copy.

Regards,

Richard.