Sign in to follow this  
Ribs

Android App

Hi guys 'n gals. ..

So, I was a little bored over the weekend. And decided to mess around with my SatNav, specfically, I programmed in the locations of all the C&CC sites, it didn't take long with the file provided by the club, but it got me thinking about my smart phone. ..

For those of you with Android based smartphones, there isn't much on the Android market for us caravanners:

https://market. android. com/search?q=caravan&so=1&c=apps

Just a couple of possibly useful apps, as well as some rubbish and bits in other languages.

This again got me thinking. If I were to make an Android app for caravanning, what would it do?

For me, at the very least, it would do:

* Search for C&CC sites

* From the search results:

* Allow you to read reviews on the site

* Call the site (to book or whatever)

* Use my phone's satnav to guide me right to the site at the tap of the screen

* A checklist of things to check when leaving

* Another checklist for arriving

* Ability to pull up YouTube videos for beginners, as I know there are a few. ..

I'm actually an Android developer, so programming an app of this manner is perfectly feasible and easily within my skills.

I have no clue what demand exists for this, if any, but I'm intending to do this for fun, so it's no big deal. But I was wondering, if you were doing this, what would you want in such an app?

Go for it has my humble vote, the android market is dead for us caravaners

A good idea. I think it should include information

on width restrictions, steep hills & tricky lanes.

The C&CC has this infomation in their Big Sites Book

but not everyone is a member or wants to carry a large

book around on holiday.

Marc.

A good idea. I think it should include information

on width restrictions, steep hills & tricky lanes.

As in "how to handle" them? or do you mean "where they are"?

If it's the latter, getting hold of that information may be tricky/expensive.

I'm not that techy a person however just invested in a tablet 6000 which has Anderoid. Reason being was to take away to play music, anything we want to watch we can download to it, i'm not a gamer but there are games and apps you can download, and also get online if there's Wifi. i've still to try the dongle in it though as this is what I use on my laptop but less clutter in the caravan.

And i've yet to see ANY caravan apps so yes go for it :lol:

I've just downloaded the Android SDK and was planning to have a go at a trip journal, to record sites visited, dates, ratings, notes for future, pics etc.

Sadly, my first attempt at the 'hello world' tutorial didn't go well, so may take a while before I produce anything :o (I'm a Perl programmer, so a bit of a departure for me).

I'm actually an Android developer, so programming an app of this manner is perfectly feasible and easily within my skills.

Thats interesting. I've been thinking of downloading the sdk etc onto a spare laptop and maybe having a tinker whilst the mrs reads her books when we are away in the van. I'm a developer who uses Java & C# so I'm assuming I should be able to get a foot in *fairly* easily? Any pitfalls, good books, web resources you could point me at would be greatly appreciated.

That's a good idea, Ribs

I Don't have an Android device but I know plenty of people who do, and it seems to me the way things are going to go.

I would only sound one note of caution; If you got the file of GPS locations of C&CC and Caravan Club sites from the downloads available to members just be aware that there some inaccuracies (which also apply to National Trust locations). Basically the GPS location may be for the site office (or actual NT car park), and that may be a long way from the nearest Satnav locatable road. Treamble Valley CC site is an example and you may find a Satnav or Android GPS device trying to give you directions from where it thinks the nearest road is. It can be interesting. I've modified my files for about half a dozen places so far.

I check the location on my Satnav before I set off and, if it looks silly then I modify it. A very useful site for getting GPS coordinates from web based maps can be found here.

Thats interesting. I've been thinking of downloading the sdk etc onto a spare laptop and maybe having a tinker whilst the mrs reads her books when we are away in the van. I'm a developer who uses Java & C# so I'm assuming I should be able to get a foot in *fairly* easily? Any pitfalls, good books, web resources you could point me at would be greatly appreciated.

"Hello, Android" is a good book for newbies. It doesn't try to teach you Java, but does a good job of using your existing skills and transferring them to Android.

To be honest, you should have it easy if you're used to Java. I had to learn Java, Eclipse and Android in one go. I had a bit of a headache that month!

Have fun with it as well. I've found Android development to be the most rewarding I've ever done. Especially for little apps which you use on a daily basis.

I would only sound one note of caution; If you got the file of GPS locations of C&CC and Caravan Club sites from the downloads available to members just be aware that there some inaccuracies (which also apply to National Trust locations). Basically the GPS location may be for the site office (or actual NT car park), and that may be a long way from the nearest Satnav locatable road. Treamble Valley CC site is an example and you may find a Satnav or Android GPS device trying to give you directions from where it thinks the nearest road is. It can be interesting. I've modified my files for about half a dozen places so far.

I check the location on my Satnav before I set off and, if it looks silly then I modify it. A very useful site for getting GPS coordinates from web based maps can be found here.

Thanks for the warning. I'll be using the GPS cords from the website, so they should be 100% up to date and should get you to the front gate, one would assume. As always, SatNav is a guide, and shouldn't replace common sense when on the road.

At first, the app will only support the C&CC (as I'm a member), but there is no reason that can't be expanded further to include the CC and other sites. Time will tell on that one.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I've made a start this evening. I have tomorrow off work, and my plans have just been cancelled, so I'll be working on this tomorrow as well. I'm hoping to be able to share some screenshots by then!

I've also had another idea for outfit matching, but that's lower priority. ..

Regards,

Ribs.

Edited by Ribs

I like the idea of the check lists .

Free Android apps I use for caravaning at the moment I use are A spirit level for levelling up the van, compass for lining up the sat dish, AR saterllite finder for giving a virtual line of sight for any obstructions, car locator which uses GPS which is handy finding the van at night and for the car in a carpark which is a ocean of parked cars .

The AA have a android app for caravan and camping listings of sites .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

So this morning I had a couple of free hours, so I set to work. I started on the feature I thought I would find most useful; Searching for sites. Here are some screenshots of the work so far, the app is no-where near finished, but I thought I'd share what I have:

post-34880-0-43370200-1312281649_thumb.jpg post-34880-0-06700000-1312281657_thumb.jpg post-34880-0-19111200-1312281665_thumb.jpg post-34880-0-96870400-1312281704_thumb.jpg

Currently it only searches the CC&C, but there is no reason more cannot be added (as hinted to by the screenshot), but I think if I were to add those, I may charge a little money for those features, as I'm only a C&CC member. ..

Feedback is welcome. As well as a new name for the app!

Also, let me know how you use tech like phones/tablets as part of your caravanning. .. Any ideas would be cool to integrate into the app!

Oh, and if anyone has any awesome YouTube videos they want to share (instructional mainly), then please let me know. Copyright permitting, I should be able to link them in from the app.

Time is the major constraint right now. But with even the SWMBO beginning to enjoy caravanning now, I might get more time on this for good behaviour! :)

Keep up the good work, I for one would be intrested in the app . Would be nice to have all the caravan club sites aswell.

CHEERS DAZKIM

Edited by dazkim

Keep up the good work, I for one would be intrested in the app . Would be nice to have all the caravan club sites aswell.

CHEERS DAZKIM

I second that,sounds good

What about adding direction of nearest TV transmitter(s)

What about adding direction of nearest TV transmitter(s)

thats a good one, also a link to a app to find the satelite directiion & elevation ?...... & directions to the nearest tesco or asda ?

be very interested to see when finnished keep up the good work, martin

thats a good one, also a link to a app to find the satelite directiion & elevation ?...... & directions to the nearest tesco or asda ?

Those are already available for free .

Dave

Hi all,

quote ,-sat nav is for guidance and does not replace common sense,-- Some years ago talking to a senior officer at work over an brigade order that did not work out, his reply ? common sense isn't as common as you think, dave ! So i have ( and will carry on doing ) tell Jane ( tom tom ) to get lost ! she's the only woman who does'nt argue back !!!!

david

I ponder why this has been moved to the Satnav section?

Satnav is only one part of what this app will ultimately be doing. ..

why do people jump to a wrong conclusion, i thought this thread started of manly as an app for andriod phones to look up and review sites with the emphasis on this part and not as an out and out sat nav app, please lets not loose site of what thread is trying to achieve, martin

Hello everyone,

Well, I set about working on the app a little more this morning, and from my original list, a bit has now been done:

For me, at the very least, it would do:

* Search for C&CC sites [DONE]

* From the search results:

* Allow you to read reviews on the site [ IN PROGRESS ]

* Call the site (to book or whatever) [ DONE ]

* Use my phone's satnav to guide me right to the site at the tap of the screen [DONE]

* A checklist of things to check when leaving [ NOT STARTED]

* Another checklist for arriving [ NOT STARTED]

* Ability to pull up YouTube videos for beginners, as I know there are a few. .. [DONE]

In addition, and based upon feedback I've already received, the following has been added:

* Handy tools section. This launches other apps which may be helpful (*note* I did not make these apps, except the Car Finder)

* Spirit Level

* Compass

* Car/Caravan Finder (To find parked Car / Caravan)

Rather than just showing screenshots, you may now actually download the app from the Android Marketplace.

Search on your device for "Caravan Buddy" in the market, or you may click the link below:

https://market. andro. ...riblet. caravan

Please note that this app is *not finished* This is the fruit of my labours of about 3 evenings and 2 mornings work. I'm doing this in what little spare time I have as a fun project, and as a way of giving something back (as I've very often found caravanners in general very helpful towards confused newbies like myself)

What I'd really like now is feedback. .. Especially if you make the application crash (let me know what you did!).

Any ideas, suggestions and feedback is welcome. Please make sure it is constructive, comments like "This doesn't work, you suck!" doesn't exactly help. .. You can use the button within the app or post here. Remember this is a fun, spare time project, I'm not making any promises about what work I'll do.

Have fun!

Regards,

Richard.

Just installed it, I'll have a play. Keep up the good work!

Hi looking good

Is it possible to have the post code on site details page? Eg Gullivers has details and phone but no post code? I tried the navigate to button but i use my tomtom truck. Or is this down to c,&cc.