Caravans In Outside Lane Of Three Lane Motorway

KontikiKid

Hi All,

Statistics are all well and good but if you are in the wrong situation at the wrong time, travelling too fast for the situation then the results can be tragic for the driver/ passengers/pedestrians/other motorists no matter the type of road. The only part of the equation that we have control over is the speed.

I really wish that all drivers could see presentations such as those run by Oscar's Brigade and Cleveland Brigade (really graphic) as I think that there would be no argument about speed. The only problem is that the impact diminshes with time but it is hoped that younger drivers will take notice long enough to learn to drive safely before any tragedy occurs.

Let us all be honest as we all think we are 'SPECIAL ONES' on occasions and most of us will get away with it but when it all goes wrong the results are devestating for so many people, not just those directly involved.

So what is the answer. ...I don't know, though I do as much as possible to reduce the risk to my family, and others, when I'm driving,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. ..Ian as usual spot on. ....

Years ago I lived in Bedford and many were killed in collisions at Toddington. ....The emergency services brought a couple of the smashed vehicles into Bedford & Luton and let people have a good look at them. ..I was there the day the Bedford one was installed. ...someone said 'look a piece of coconut on the seat'...it wasn't it was a piece of skull! I think the hint was taken. ............

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

03bd7352b4e2d7a6ae957ea006521095.png

All you need to know really. .....

. ...and the after effects/consequences of not knowing or ignoring the equation.

Psssst Trevor, I did google it but don't tell anybody :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Quite a captivating little Thread. Going by personal experiance I truly believe more drivers are killed and seriousely injured on local rural roads with a good 75% of persons involved living in the local area with very good local knowledge. Sadly a high percentage of incidents I attended was due to Speeding. ............ Whilst I was a Member of Strathclydes finest we had our local Hot Spots for RTC's and it was not the first time on arrival that one of the Crew Members recognised the vehicle involved. Just recently Red Watch at the Airport Fire / Rescue were on the Fire Ground carrying out a Training Exercise when a car careered into the perimeter fence. A local speeding to her work. Being only 4 or 5 miles from the M74 attended very few RTC's on this very busy stretch of Motorway. I will timorously admit in my early years of Touring was Guilty from time to time of the odd Banger Racing moment whilst dare I say " Towing ", but soon knocked that in the Head. Simply Daft !!! Dont care how well matched your outfit is with tyre scensoring ABS, auto stabilastion nonsence etc, ,, etc,,,,. Speed Kills . ................

Grumpy Auld Smeesh. .........

Ace Jubilee Statesman . .......... Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE Auto Sport . ..............

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Every road is safe it's the users of the roads that make them unsafe.

The more experience that a new driver can be exposed to whilst under supervision before driving alone must be a good thing. Yes, I was wrong to say Motorway driving should be included in the test, it should - if possible - be included in the last stages of instruction time.

Personally I don't think the instruction/driving lessons/tests cover enough variations in road & weather conditions.

MumnTed

When my daughter passed her test she then went on a pass plus course so she could get her insurance down a bit :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Speed Kills . ................

ITYM * Inappropriate* speed kills, or *Misuse of* speed kills. Absolute speed does not. The distinction is important.

ITYM * Inappropriate* speed kills, or *Misuse of* speed kills. Absolute speed does not. The distinction is important.

Hi,

Just my opinion, but I would say that inappropriate/misuse of speed is one of the contributory factors in the causation of the incident whereas speed travelled is one of the major contributory factors which determines the outcome of any collision. Or maybe we should say the rate of decelleration, which is influenced by the absolute speed maintianed at the time, is one of the major factors?

It is fact that the greater the speed travelled the greater the chance of coming to grief though other factors do come into the equation such as driver skill, road conditions, vehicle condition etc,

Regards,

Ian.

Alas, most people do not realise how inappropriate their speed is until they are heading to the scene of the accident with no way of stopping the events unfolding. Because the real cause of all accidents is when a driver, or drivers, find them self in a situation that they do not have the required skills to deal with. There is an infinite amount of scenarios as to how that situation comes about, however in almost every case a reduced speed would have increased the odds of someone not being on the KSI list.

Has the revolution finally begun?

Coming back from North Devon there were 4x4's and twin axle vans

passing me despite the 50mph signs and "congestion" warnings.

I wonder if it is an ego thing, when these drivers continue to speed?

Edited by gumdrop

Speed is a killer regardless of how you take it! I remember seeing a programme years ago and research found that if cars were fitted with a 6" spike in the centre of the steering pointing at the driver it would reduce speed and associated accidents four fold!

Good thread this, on the last bank holiday a guy with a Volvo 4x4 came speeding down the M5 in lane 3 with a Bailey Ranger on the back. Ironically a police car was about 1/2 mile in front and the overhead signs were saying "Take extra care whilst towing" he was moving with the traffic and easily doing over 70 with the van all over the place. Fortunately I was getting off at the next junction.

I dont think there's any doubt about that.

peter.

volvo xc90t6/coachman laser 590/4 running at 80%

That's the point i was trying to make. Experience tells us when its ok to travel at what speed. My original post said i was following a car in the outside lane doing 75 on a clear motorway, with no traffic in the inner 3 lanes, so I flashed them to get out the way. ok thats over the speed limit set in the 60's, but on a good road with very little other traffic around are you seriously all telling me you'd all be travelling under 70?

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

That's the point i was trying to make. Experience tells us when its ok to travel at what speed. My original post said i was following a car in the outside lane doing 75 on a clear motorway, with no traffic in the inner 3 lanes, so I flashed them to get out the way. ok thats over the speed limit set in the 60's, but on a good road with very little other traffic around are you seriously all telling me you'd all be travelling under 70?

Thats probably why he didnt get out of your way, id do the same just to hack you off. ...oh and slow down a bit just to hack you off even more

Mendip magnum 524/Kia Sorento XL manual in black

You can be killed at any speed

What you say is nothing more than an excuse

Hi Gumdrop,

Tend to agree with your statement. Think I have mentioned this in the past. Clocked a Disco driver pulling a big twin last year sitting in the middle lane of the M8 sitting at 50mph. Nothing but a bloody Hazard. HGV's undertaken, cars flashing him. Never budged ! I Cut him a Glesga Glance as I passed him on the outside lane. (solo by the way ) There he was sitting like a big frozen Turkey with a Big Diddy pompous grin on his Coupon absolutely oblivious to whats going on around him. Phwweee !!! dry.gif

SMEESH. ...........

Ace Jubilee Statesman . ......... Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE Auto Sport . ...............

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Is it not just easier to stay in the correct lanes and keep to the national speed limits?

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold ?) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

What is absolute speed?

Is it not just easier to stay in the correct lanes and keep to the national speed limits?

Maurice

And much cheaper too! My licence still shows the scars of 3 points collected for using the outside lane to overtake some thoughtless people going too slow in lane 2. The wallet got emptied of £60 by way of a fine and the insurance company took much more over the years that the points were active AND beyond.

What is absolute speed?

299 792 458 m / s rolleyes.gif

2006 Landrover Freelander HSE TD4 (remapped) + 2011 Sterling Celebration 550
No trees were harmed by this message, but several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

my blog. ..Caravan Chronicles Twitter: @CaravanChron

And much cheaper too! My licence still shows the scars of 3 points collected for using the outside lane to overtake some thoughtless people going too slow in lane 2. The wallet got emptied of £60 by way of a fine and the insurance company took much more over the years that the points were active AND beyond.
Thanks for your honesty. Lesson learnt, and hopefully noted as a warning by others.

Gordon

I got points for travelling at 30 mph - 4 of them in fact & a £175 fine!!!! - all done at 5am & yes there are two 5 o'clocks in every day!! Nowhere near a school or hospital, just a perfectly normal road, or so i thought. I was in fact driving over Tower Bridge, a road i'd used many times before, only this time they'd just changed the speed limit to 20mph & put up the smallest signs they could get away with, which were at the time about the size of a small saucer - they've had to increase the size of the signs now.

I was one of the 1st people to get caught out by this, they didn't exactly publicise the fact they were lowering the limit. hundreds of motorists have been caught out by the same & most have had high fines like mine. Points are gone now, thankfully.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Mary has just -- this morning had an e-mail from a girl friend who was involved in an accident on the M5 in Somerset. .driving from Camelford to Cheddar.

Friend was travelling in the nearside lane of a relatively empty motorway followed by her father in is caravan at about 55/6 mph

Then along comes an idiot towing a Bailey Pageant with a 12 year old Ford Focus who decided that 56 mph isn't fast enough He passed her dad but wen passing her the over taking unit started to snake and they lost control!! Suddenly she had a car and caravan right across her bonnet -- she hit it and spun of to the left up the grass bank. returning to the hard shoulder facing the opposite direction. . Dad behind managed to stop. . as did the car behind him.

The over taking van was on its side.

Mary's friend's car and caravan are both write offs!!!

The police came and said that the over taking van was travelling too fast as from three witnesses who it had overtaken at plus 60 mph.

They also were checking the weight ratio of the car/caravan -- Bailey Pageant with a 12 year old Ford Focus ? they told her that it was over 107%..

She had her car and van transported to Taunton - followed by her Dad.

Later from home she hired a Transit van to collect her stuff and from the van -- one thing missing -- the Aqua-roll!

So it just goes to show -- even at "just over or about" the speed limit major accidents can happen. .

The worst effects were on the others who were acting normally with in the speeds, weights and distances etc. .

The guy has admitted full liability and his insurance have already offered a write off figure for the caravan -- but not her car as yet. So she is renting from Enterprise at the moment.

But completely upset her holiday plans now as it probably wont get fully sorted for some time.

Sad. .

Her birthday today as well. .

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold ?) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

299 792 458 m / s rolleyes.gif

But not achievable with, or without, a caravan. :D

I got points for travelling at 30 mph - 4 of them in fact & a £175 fine!!!! - . .......... they'd just changed the speed limit to 20mph . ........I was one of the 1st people to get caught out by this

That was back in the 70's then? Controlled by specs cameras since 2004 and still catching the unwary including truck drivers over 7. 5 tonne.

Edited by beejay