Awning Light Cover Won't Come Off.

It sounds silly but the cover on the awning light on my 1999 Elddis hurricane won't come off. I have pushed, pulled looked closely and studied the thing but it just stays out. The make is Ring ULTRA.

Ours is the same. Access to the blub is from inside the 'van - in the wall cupboard. Also if you want to remove the whole light, it is fastened from inside.

It sounds silly but the cover on the awning light on my 1999 Elddis hurricane won't come off. I have pushed, pulled looked closely and studied the thing but it just stays out. The make is Ring ULTRA.

Edited by Ian Hastings

Hi, there is no access from the inside the van. It is just fixed on the outside. I see on other posts this is a problem with this type of light. I think in the end I will have to change it for another make.

If its the same as that rubbish fitted to my old 2004 Bailey then i know exactly what you mean.

Access was only from the outside, and the lights rust up inside.

To remove the cover you need to squeeze both top and bottom, it i recall correctly its held by four plastic tabs that fit into inserts.

Its a bit of a chore, as you think its going to break, i would pick a warm day to take the cover off.

If its the same as that rubbish fitted to my old 2004 Bailey then i know exactly what you mean.

Access was only from the outside, and the lights rust up inside.

To remove the cover you need to squeeze both top and bottom, it i recall correctly its held by four plastic tabs that fit into inserts.

Its a bit of a chore, as you think its going to break, i would pick a warm day to take the cover off.

As xtrailman says it is a case of squeezing the top and bottom together. You can buy just the cover from a few shops as I had to get one a few weeks ago. Also as xtrailman says warm the cover a little. It will be less likely to break while taking it off.

Sqeeze top and bottom and pull out bottom edge first. It may release one side first then other. 4 tabs to find 2 top 2 bottom.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

• 9 years later...

I Found the best way is as you rightly inferred is to swear at it a lot and then use WD40 swear a little more and with knife just sort of gently break the seal all the way round and squeeze...Sorted!

The usual process is:-

Squeeze

Pull

Twist

Squeeze harder

lever

Crack

Swear

Go buy a new one!

• 7 months later...

Has anyone got a video of this to see how it comes apart 

I have the same problem , don’t want too crack the plastic light cover 

I dont have a video but on our last caravan I used a curved plastic trim tool mounted on a piece of hardboard.

The trim tool was inserted at each end of the light facia and eased off gently-no bolts/fixings literally just a push fit.