Sign in to follow this  
cymro123

Super Pitch

We only have water in the middle one between the wheels. The front and back tanks are only needed when doing off the beaten track travel. We bought the van secondhand. The previous owners went all over the place, and never used caravan parks, so had them filled all the time. It has a mains connection, and some sort of pressure reducer that cuts out the tank when connected.

The majority of vans here are also towable by the family sedan, unlike ours, which is too heavy (about 2300~2400kg) for a standard car, but even the smallest van has at least one tank. All the newer parks these days have the equivalent of your 'super piches', so I suppose tanks are somewhat reduntant, especially if you stick to the black top.

If travelling through the South of France or the Costa Brava many of the beach sites have a super pitch + which include a small toilet block on each pitch with it's own washroom, We found this ideal when all the family were staying with us in their tents.

We only have water in the middle one between the wheels. The front and back tanks are only needed when doing off the beaten track travel. We bought the van secondhand. The previous owners went all over the place, and never used caravan parks, so had them filled all the time. It has a mains connection, and some sort of pressure reducer that cuts out the tank when connected.

The majority of vans here are also towable by the family sedan, unlike ours, which is too heavy (about 2300~2400kg) for a standard car, but even the smallest van has at least one tank. All the newer parks these days have the equivalent of your 'super piches', so I suppose tanks are somewhat reduntant, especially if you stick to the black top.

I just Googled your 'van. That is a seriously heavy duty piece of kit! You won't find anything like that here, but then we don't have any outback to explore. UK 'vans are built for comfort, not for longevity in difficult terrain. You may well be disappointed with the build quality and robustness.

No,

It's horses for courses, no need to go down corregated dirt roads or tracks in your neck of the woods. I have seen some Bailey vans and Adria vans at a caravan/camping show a while ago. I didn't take much notice at the time, as this idea hadn't gelled. I have been looking at the used vans on some web sites (in Norwich, just to pick a not-too-big, and not-to-little city example of prices and what's available). Have to say, prices are pretty reasonable compared to here.

Happy hunting!

Best advice is to get a good quality damp meter (I recommend Protimeter) and thoroughly check any 'van you are interested in yourself. Apart from the Bailey Alutech method, UK caravan construction hasn't changed in decades. This consists of softwood framework sandwiched between an aluminium skin and waterproof vinyl covered 3mm plywood wallboard. All good as long as its dry, but if any water gets into the framework through a leaky rail, window, door or other fitting, it can't get out as it has waterproof membranes either side. The damp softwood will quickly rot, so will the thin plywood of the wall board and then you are left with a caravan that is about a strong as an aluminium foil sheet. Repairs to damp caravans can cost several thousands, so a good damp meter really is your best ally.

Caravan Finder

Is a good place to look, as it shows the layout of the 'van. Good luck!

Just tried my whale supply pipe with built in pressure reducer from tap which I've had for years but never used . All seemed well until I checked on the onboard whale water pump underneath the seat,it was leaking water on the gasket halway up its length. The pressure of water must have been too much for the pump so had to revert back to the aquaroll, Grrrrr :angry:

How about one of these http://www. care-avan. co. uk/blog. html

One site i stayed on a few years ago delivered a morning paper for people staying on superpitches free from the site shop. :lol:

Dave

Now thats a nice touch a little attention to detail :D

Sign in to follow this