Sign in to follow this  
screamingjack

Avtex 18.5 Inch Tv Shutting Down Due To Low Battery Power

When I purchased my Bailey Unicorn last December, I upgraded the free Avtex TV to the new slimline 18. 5 inch Model L185DR. I have had no problem at all using it on 240 volt but last weekend as there was no EHU available I used it on 12 volt for the first time. Shortly after switching on I had a message to say that the TV was powering off due to low battery voltage. I knew that the battery was in good condition but on my return home I changed the battery for another fully charged one in good condition. The problem occured again and I then measured the voltage at the TV 12 volt socket with a multimeter and it read 12. 8 volts. All the remaining 12 volt functions worked perfectly well.

Surely 12. 8 volts should be enough? I have Emailed Avtex with the problem and am awaiting a reply but I know there are members on this site that can help.

Don't misunderstand me but you don't need help or advice from anyone on this forum. Avtex's customer service is as legendary as PowrTouch's. Just ring them up and talk to them. They are very, very good.

Don't misunderstand me but you don't need help or advice from anyone on this forum. Avtex's customer service is as legendary as PowrTouch's. Just ring them up and talk to them. They are very, very good.

I agree. If the voltage at the socket is 12. 8 then in theory there is nothing wrong with the supply. Which may suggest that either the set has a problem or the connecting cable between it and the socket has. However, unless the lead is very long and not of the correct rating (not expected with a name of this quality and reputation) then I would be very surprised if this is anything to do with voltage drop.

I agree. If the voltage at the socket is 12. 8 then in theory there is nothing wrong with the supply. Which may suggest that either the set has a problem or the connecting cable between it and the socket has. However, unless the lead is very long and not of the correct rating (not expected with a name of this quality and reputation) then I would be very surprised if this is anything to do with voltage drop.

I would try a heavier cable for the 12V supply

I had a similar problem once and thicker cable cured it

Wiring from the battery in the caravan to the TV needed upgrading in our Swift which Swift in fact did for the following model year :rolleyes:

Was the voltage at the socket measured when the TV was plugged in and operating? If there is a high resistance connection somewhere in the circuit, it would be possible to have 12v at the socket when the TV was not taking any current, but this could drop considerably when the TV takes current - if there is a high resistance fault in the circuit

Worth a try.

Regards,

David

we have the same avtex tv and have changed the 12 v plug as it would "pop" out of the socket i had a better quality plug ( the black one with the red stick and green neon indicator in the end of it) not had a problem since, hope that helps jim

We used ours for the first time last week and had the same problem, kept shutting down even though the battery was new fully charged and had been connected to the 80w solar panel all day!!!

Kept powering down as soon as the TV went on. We did manage to get it working just using the DVD side of it?

I'm guessing it's the wiring at either the socket or the supplied lead?

I may give Avtex a call when I get back from holiday, before I run a new fused feed direct from the battery.

If anyone finds out the solution or problem I'd be grateful if you could email it to me, so I can pick it up whilst away

Cheers

Boomba

boomba, just a thought have you tried to run it from the car cigar socket thats what i did and discovered the plug wasnt holding tight in the socket, just might highlight the problem, hope that helps, jim

boomba, just a thought have you tried to run it from the car cigar socket thats what i did and discovered the plug wasnt holding tight in the socket, just might highlight the problem, hope that helps, jim

Its a pity that Bailey stopped fitting the 2 pin socket as in years recently gone by as they are much better than the cigar type

In our Senator California they had no 12V socket at all just a dedicated 12V TV 3. 5 mm jack plug and the Avtex TV came with a cigar plug :rolleyes:

I rewired using a cigar plug extension socket and cable that is quite heavy and have had no shut off problems with the Avtex 15in TV

I also fitted the 2 pin socket and a cigar socket for use with phone chargers etc :blink:

Have you tried it via the 230V mains adapter lead to rule out the TV as the problem

I have now spoken to the technical department at Avtex who suspect that it is not the fault of the TV itself as it works on 240 volt, reduced to 12 volt by the small black transformer in the mains lead. He told me the TV should work as low as 10 volts. He is going to send a replacement 12 volt cable but suspects that it is the supply between the battery, the 12 volt cigarette socket and the 12 volt plug.

I have checked again this morning and tried the plug in a different position within the socket and so far it has not switched itself off. It may be that a better quality plug might be the answer as suggested by a previous poster.

I will keep you informed

Boomba is your caravan a Bailey?

Guest 4591tim

When I purchased my Bailey Unicorn last December, I upgraded the free Avtex TV to the new slimline 18. 5 inch Model L185DR. I have had no problem at all using it on 240 volt but last weekend as there was no EHU available I used it on 12 volt for the first time. Shortly after switching on I had a message to say that the TV was powering off due to low battery voltage. I knew that the battery was in good condition but on my return home I changed the battery for another fully charged one in good condition. The problem occured again and I then measured the voltage at the TV 12 volt socket with a multimeter and it read 12. 8 volts. All the remaining 12 volt functions worked perfectly well.

Surely 12. 8 volts should be enough? I have Emailed Avtex with the problem and am awaiting a reply but I know there are members on this site that can help.

Have you tried wiring the TV directly to the battery. .... with croc clips maybe. ...if it still shuts down its the tv or lead . .if it doesnt its the lead or not very likely the caravan wiring. ...Had a similar problem in my Burstner some years back . I ended up having a dedicated 12v line from the battery with in line fuse. ...never was a problem again. .....Somtimes other 12v dependent items will cause a momentary drop in the vans voltage affecting the Tv. .....worth a try. .

T

I have now received a replacement 12 volt lead from Avtex. The cigarette lighter plug appears to be more substantial and most importantly works without showing the low battery message.

I must apologise to Boomba & Crusader. I regularly forget to check my personal messages but did apreciate their imput. Hopefully my problem is now sorted

This powering down has just started happening to our avtex. We have had it since nov. 13 without problems, same sockets, same plug. it's just now started powering down when battery level falls from full, 13. 7-13. 8volts to something below 13. 4-5v. if it is the van wiring it would have done this from the start. mystery, have emaled avtex but just setting off for 3 weeks wildcamping in Denmark so not well chuffed. we are getting less than 60 mins viewing before it powers down. even when the sun is shinning and solar panels putting loads into the 2 leusure batteries wired in parallel.

Had this last year,it was the 12V cable to the set. ..I didn't know at the time and dealers, Catterick, sent it to Avtex on the Monday and was back with new lead on the Thursday. ......so perhaps if you call into your dealer first they may loan you another cable to try??

geoff