Water Heating On Elecric

PETE1

Hi All,

I have a new Delta RS and used it for the first time last week.

I sorted out most things and how they work but I could not get any hot water using electric.

According to the Lunar hand book all I needed to do was fill the hot water tank and switch the isolation switch to ON and I should have hot water - I didn`t.

I tried heating the water with the Alde system. The instuctions said the flashing tap symbol will give you extra hot water for 30 minutes when turned ON - mine didn`t.

It worked fine on gas.

Any Ideas ??

Thanks. Pete.

. ... have you closed the drain valves . ...????

Cheers

Pete

I have a new Clubman with the Alde system and have been studying the manual prior to our first outing tomorrow. To heat on electric you need to press the arrow button until the electrical heating symbol flashes (the rectangle)and then select the power level with the on/off buttons. The tap symbol just increases the water temperature for 30 minutes from 50c to 65c. If you have the instruction manual from Alde its items 8 and 6 you should read. Make sure the system is on and for water heating only, lower the temperature required below the ambient temperature.

Have you tried draining the water system and refilling just in case there is an air lock somewhere. Did you try the electrics again after heating it up with gas? I have used both methods when the water refuses to heat on electric, especially after the system has been emptied for a while.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Thanks for the replys guys.

Pierre. If by drain valves you mean the coloured plastic valve that is horizontal for closed and vertical for open, It is closed.

Robhar. I will have to have a look at this at the weekend.

David. I will try this but I can`t see that it is an air block as the tank is full and cold water comes out of the hot taps.

Pete.

I have a new Clubman with the Alde system and have been studying the manual prior to our first outing tomorrow. To heat on electric you need to press the arrow button until the electrical heating symbol flashes (the rectangle)and then select the power level with the on/off buttons. The tap symbol just increases the water temperature for 30 minutes from 50c to 65c. If you have the instruction manual from Alde its items 8 and 6 you should read. Make sure the system is on and for water heating only, lower the temperature required below the ambient temperature.

Having used the Alde system for some time now,what you say is correct. There was confusion about how to use the water heater and I spoke to Alde about this. They said that later versions of the instruction manual would make it clearer.

Switching the heating on as you would to heat the van, then as you say, reduce the temperature setting and the water is heated. We set ours to 5 degrees when we only want hot water.

Got it sorted fellas thanks for your advice all, Robhar and Roger you were right.

I do intend to ring Lunar because their handbook states " ensure the water heater is full then press the isolation switch to on "

It also states " the water temperatature is not adjustable using the mains heating element. The temperature is set at 70 degrees C. "

There are no other instructions so why would I think that I have to do anything else to get hot water ?

In the ALDE instructions the hot water operation is under the heading " Heating with Electricity " I have been taking this to mean it was the central heating instructions. ( silly me ! )

Lunar expect my call tomorrow !!

Pete

It looks like the instructions you have are for a Truma water heater

Brian

Got it sorted fellas thanks for your advice all, Robhar and Roger you were right.

I do intend to ring Lunar because their handbook states " ensure the water heater is full then press the isolation switch to on "

It also states " the water temperatature is not adjustable using the mains heating element. The temperature is set at 70 degrees C. "

There are no other instructions so why would I think that I have to do anything else to get hot water ?

In the ALDE instructions the hot water operation is under the heading " Heating with Electricity " I have been taking this to mean it was the central heating instructions. ( silly me ! )

Lunar expect my call tomorrow !!

It sounds like Alde have not updated the water heating instructions in their user manual as they said they would.

Hi Brian,

The instructions in my handbook are for a Truma hot water heater but in the back of the 2011 Lunar brochure it lists everthing in all of their caravans and it says Truma water heater fitted. When you read the extras in the Delta it says " Alde wet central heating system " it doesn`t say fitted instead of Truma water system and it doesn`t say Alde hot water system that`s where my problem has been.

Anyway - all sorted and I now know how to get hot water.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I've also got a DeltaRS and we took delivery when it was cold so used the heating which I think is great :)

Just so I've got this correct, when you want hot water only, you turn on heating and reduce the heating temp to say 5degC which heats the water and stops the circulation pump running, ie no heating?

This can be done on electric 1kw, 2kw or 3kw or gas? Is this correct?

:)

Edited by Jocky

Hi guys, I've also got a DeltaRS and we took delivery when it was cold so used the heating which I think is great :)

Just so I've got this correct, when you want hot water only, you turn on heating and reduce the heating temp to say 5degC which heats the water and stops the circulation pump running, ie no heating?

This can be done on electric 1kw, 2kw or 3kw or gas? Is this correct?

:)

Hi Jockey,

You don`t need the heating on to get hot water.

You can turn the heating off and just have hot water or you can have hot water with the heating on at the same time.

Pete.

Hi Jockey,

You don`t need the heating on to get hot water.

You can turn the heating off and just have hot water or you can have hot water with the heating on at the same time.

Pete.

Pete,

I,m a bit confused here because we have to have the heating on to get hot water.

The confusing thing is you actually turn the system on to get heating,which is then controlled by the stat setting, but to just to have hot water you turn the heating temperature down.

So I would disagree with what you say that you turn the heating off and still can have hot water, unless when you say turn the heating off you mean turn the temp. down.

Roger

• 10 years later...

I know this is an old item but I am in the process of buying a 2016 Lunar Clubma in the next couple of weeks and I really want to understand before I collect it whether or not  it will have both a water heater, refered to in my 2010  462 Ultima handbook as the Ultrastore, and a means of heating the water using the space heating system which I believe is called the Alde wet heating system, or will I have just the Alde system to heat both the caravan and the water.

Just the Alde system for both heating and hot water.   Your Ultima is presumably fitted with blown air heating and  the ultrastore.

I guessed this might be the case but when we were looking at the Clubman and lifting the seating I thought I had  seen an Ultrastore boiler but I must have been mistaken. The Alde system boiler I think was in the bathroom at the back of one of the narrow cupboards. I am due to collect the Clubman in a couple of weeks by which time some blinds including the main door insect blind, four window blinds and one small skylite blind will have been replaced. It seems that the blinds were allowed to become stiff and as a consequence became damaged by potential buyers whilst viewing the caravan. At least that is what the dealer said. The dealer has promised to replace all 6 blinds. In other respects the caravan is in very good condition. Is it normal for a dealer to service a second hand caravan before a sale and would this normally include replacing the Alde heating system fluid? By the way thank you for your replies to my original question.  As this is the first time I have purchased a second hand caravan from a dealer I would appreciate and further advice  you may have.  I imagine they will test all the water, gas and electrical systems as part of their  sales procedure, as with a new caravan. Please correct me if you think I am wrong 

It sounds like you have found a good dealer, but do check for yourself that they have done everything they said they will do. 
My last second hand van, the dealers had checked it over and gave us a good couple of hours handover, to show where everything was and how it worked. It’s a good idea to video the parts you are unfamiliar with, as it can all get a bit “information overload “

Enjoy your new van

9 hours ago, Mobilemule42 said:

I thought I had  seen an Ultrastore boiler but I must have been mistaken. The Alde system boiler I think was in the bathroom at the back of one of the narrow cupboards.

The Alde heating system and boiler is contained in a chunky single unit and is usually to be under a front seat (towards the axle/s rather than at the front or rear).  

What you saw in the narrow cupboard in the bathroom was almost certainly the Alde expansion /reservoir bottle neatly encased in a grey branded cover.  

https://www.alde.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/alde_3020_user.pdf

Thank you for putting me right on that ReggiePerrin. That would explain me thinking I had seen an Ultrastore under the RH bed cupboard. That must have been the Alde boiler. So the tall Aluminium coloured casing in the narrow rear cupboard is the Alde expansion/ reservoir bottle. I imagine that is similar to the expansion bellows on our home central heating. Things are becoming clearer.  

In terms of changing the Alde fluid on a pre-sale service, the dealer is unlikely to do that.  He makes money on a fluid change which is not a standard annual service item. 

The dealer will reasonably argue that your 2016 caravan will have had a fluid change in 2018 (from blue two year fluid to red five year fluid) and is thus, not due for another change until 2023 / year seven service.  At that point expect to pay for the service as usual plus a further £200 or whatever for the fluid change.

Edited by ReggiePerrin

Hello Reggie Perrins, thank you for that information. You mention a figure for replacing the Alde fluid as £200. Have I got that right. It seems awfully high just for changing the fluid. I only pay £180 for a complete service normally.  Do you think it likely that the fluid was changed from blue to red in 2018. I have not seen the service record yet I was too busy when we were viewing the caravan looking for material defects and ensuring that I had not missed anything. Is there like to be damage to the boiler and system if the fluid has not been changed?