Sign in to follow this  
Nezza42

Manual V Auto Max Tow Limits?

Do auto & manual version of the same car have the same maximum towing figure?

I would have thought an auto's would be lower, or does it vary from manufacturer to manufacturer?

Note, I am NOT referring to the 85% of kerbweight rule, but the MAXIMUM PERMISSIBLE towing figure for the vehicle.

cheers

Neal

Just had a look in the Ford Mondeo brochure, and the max towable mass is the same for both the Manual 5spd, Man 6sp, Standard Auto and 5Tronic (tiptronic box). All a nice healthy 1800kgs.

Only model that has a lower max tow are the 1. 8 petrols which are limited to 1500kgs.

HTH, Gaz

Have a look at the web sites for various makers - certainly the 4X4 cars seem to be the same for either - which for me is good as due to an old 'construction industry' injury I am starting to lose the feeling in my left foot and my next tow-car will certainly be an auto!

We've had an auto (of one sort or another) in the family for 17 years, our experience is that some auto's do have reduced towing limits. Might be that newer technology means this is less of an issue, but its probably worth checking if you have particular models in mind.

It varies.

Some manufacturers use a blanket limit for all the engine / transmission combinations within a model range but other manufacturers test and quote individual limits for each combination.

Some models share the same towing limit for both manual and auto but others have a lower limit for the auto. This is particularly true of diesel autos. Diesels need an increased cooling capacity (usually larger radiator) compared to petrols. As autos normally have a larger radiator anyway, it's sometimes not possible to increase enough.

Thanks everyone, I re-checked with Nissan on my particular truck & it turns out that the manual has a 2800Kg limit and the auto a 1700Kg limit (which coincidently is the 85% match limit)

The newer auto versions have the same limit as the manuals, so I guess mine is limited due to the design of the gearbox.

Neal