How Much Gas Is Left?

JonF

Message added by CT Advertising,

Prima logo.png

Check out how the Truma Gas Level Check from Prima Leisure works.

It's worth taking a look - it's accurate every time!

How do I tell how much gas is in the bottle and how can I tell how many hours use I have left?

"Firstly you need to find the tare weight of the cylinder, this is the 4 digit number on the aluminium disk fitted under the cylinder valve. This is the empty weight of the cylinder in lbs and ozs

It's probably easier to work in kg, so divide the weight in lbs by 2. 2 to get kg. E. g 32lb 08ozs = 32. 5 / 2. 2 = 14. 8 kg

Weigh the cylinder with e. g. bathroom scales to find total weight e. g 25kg

Subtract tare weight e. g. 25 - 14. 8 = 10. 2kg gas remaining.

Multiply amount of gas remaining by calorific value ( butane 13. 7 kWh/Kg, propane 13. 9 kWh/Kg )

e. g butane 10. 2 x 13. 7 = 139. 7 kWh

Divide by kW input rating of appliance e. g. 5kW, 139. 7 / 5 = 27. 9 hours approx running time remaining."

Nigel Edwards

Senior Projects Engineer

National Engineering Department

Calor Gas Ltd

Knowing how much gas you have left is so easy, and does not involve complicated maths to figure out,,,,When the flame goes out,,,you have no gas, just change the bottle.

Knowing how much gas you have left is so easy, and does not involve complicated maths to figure out,,,,When the flame goes out,,,you have no gas, just change the bottle.

2645[/snapback]

Now that I do understand :D:D:D

2645[/snapback]

The flame only goes out when cooking breakfast :D

Paul

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Thats the fun of caravanning, and "living on the edge",,the uncertainty of whether the bacon gets cooked in 3 minutes, or 5 after changing a bottle connection. ...or the wondering whether it will be a cold floor to step out onto when you have to make the nocturnal visit to the bathroom,,,the adrenalin rush is just tooooo much. ....

Seen a small device at the caravan accessory shop today basically attaches to the bottom quarter of the cylinder and a has a scale similar to a thermonitor. Cost around £5 and I suspect it works in the same way as a thermonitor.

May be worth a look in your local shop

I use a Gaslow product that gives an indication of how much gas is left in the cylinder. It fits between the cylinder and the regulator.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Has no one heard of Truma's sonatic -go to www. truma. co. uk and look under products - sonatic

Sonatic, the new high-tech gas level measuring system, from Truma, shows you immediately and precisely how much gas is still left in your cylinders. Small, practical, and easy to use. Sonatic is essential for everyone who wants to stay independent when they're on the move.

Ste ;)

Tradetech

Is it me, but when I put www. truma. co. uk in the browser I get Banbury Trailers! I think it should be Truma UK They seem an interesting gadget, how much are they?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Tradetech

Is it me, but when I put www. truma. co. uk in the browser  I get Banbury Trailers! I think it should be Truma UK They seem an interesting gadget, how much are they?

David

6049[/snapback]

Not sure Dave, to be honest, i can remember though that a couple of years ago some vans had them fitted as standard (i. e compass rallye) , dont know whats happened with the web address :huh: , ste ;)

Anyone come across one of these to guage the level?

I have just done a search across the internet for these magnetic gas guages and they are all over the place at different prices. Some are up to £8. 99 plus postage and packing of around £3. 00 so I went to my local Caravan Shop (United British Caravans, Sandy Lane, Newcastle) and got one for £3. 75 !

It works, it appears to be accurate and you just attach to the bottom half of your cylinder and move it to a new bottle when you change. Great, cheap, no weighing, no spreasheets required, no lifting out the bottle and shaking it or guessing any more ! Well done to whoever spotted this one and advised the forum members.

I have just done a search across the internet for these magnetic gas guages and they are all over the place at different prices. Some are up to £8. 99 plus postage and packing of around £3. 00 so I went to my local Caravan Shop (United British Caravans, Sandy Lane, Newcastle) and got one for £3. 75 !

It works, it appears to be accurate and you just attach to the bottom half of your cylinder and move it to a new bottle when you change. Great, cheap, no weighing, no spreasheets required, no lifting out the bottle and shaking it or guessing any more ! Well done to whoever spotted this one and advised the forum members.

6504[/snapback]

Excellent - thanks Dan. I'll get one myself now!!

6504[/snapback]

Hi All,

There are several of these on Ebay,including a batch at £4. 49 each including postage. These are at the Selby Boat Centre,so should be even cheaper with a personal visit,if you live nearby. :)

Frank

Hi,

We just got a gadget thingy off Ebay magnetic and lets you know how much gas you have left in the bottle. Won't get a chance to use it though until the new Provence is delivered <_<

Emma

• 4 weeks later...

Gaslow do various regulators that you plug your bottle into, they give you a reading from a simple gauge, and it allows for hot, mild, or cold weather conditions. You can, depending on model, select an auto changeover so it will switch from one bottle to the other with no input from yourself, and you lose no gas, nor do you have to relight anything because it doesn't go out.

Brilliant little devices.

Oh, and when you turn your gas bottle on, if you leave it for 10 mins it will pressure test your gas system for leaks.

Cost somewhere around 45 quid. Bit expensive i know, but it has a safety cut out fitted as well.

Tells me how much gas, doesn't let me run out and have to switch bottles, allows for temp change, and tests for safety and pressure.

Doesn't seem that expensive to me now.

Not compared to my piece of mind regarding my family.

Got the truma kit on my coachman still have a shake of the bottles

to check how much gas is left. I think they are a waste of money.

13758[/snapback]

You think the Truma is a waste of money? Or the Gaslow? Or both?

On a personal level, 5 years ago i had to kick the door in on my van to remove my vomiting children who were literally freezing to death. New year rally, gas ran out despite a "reputable" device to check gas levels. It was wrong. At 6. 30 in the morning i was screaming round Holmes Chapel (Cheshire) with a child trying to warm him up.

Suffice to say i won't trust any device unless i am 100 per cent sure as i can be.

The first thing i did on my new van was get fully conversant with the gas system, including any weak spots on the van underneath, even before i knew how to work the oven or where to plug the telly in.

I trust this Gaslow device quite a lot.

Lenny, I can understand why your children got cold when the gas ran out but why the vomiting? Is this something I should watch out for when my gas runs out - does some continue to flow after the flame has gone out.

Keat