Sign in to follow this  
sennen

Dometic Fridge Not Working

Our fridge a Dometic 7217 does not get cold on mains or gas. The gas lights you can hear it clicking and then stops the light stays on the vent get warm so the gas must be alight. Turn it to mains and it still does not get cold. We have left it on for many hours on gas and then 240 v to test it.

sennen

Sennen

It would be a RM7271 you have.

Worst case it could be the cooling unit. First check the vehicle is level. Then run it on 230v and see if there is heat from the top vent. If there is the heater is working. Make sure the green light comes on when on electric. you will need to run it for approx 4 hrs to make sure it is cooling.

If it does not get warm it has failed and needs replacing. And the gas side is requiring a service.

The other problem it could be is the thermostat spindle has broken and means altough the temp is up high it could be in the low position.

If all this fails it looks like the unit has either a blockage or has leak. Either way it can not be repaired and will need a replacement. If it is a UK built vehicle and under 3 years old it could be repaired under warranty.

If you go to www. dometicapprovved. co. uk you can find your local approved Dometic agent who will repair the fridge for you.

I hope this helps

Malcolm

Turriff Caravans

If you are getting heat out of the vent when on either gas or electric and the van is level, then there is a problem with the cooling unit.

I had this problem on a previous van. I cured it by taking the fridge out and turning it upside down for 24 hours. It worked perfectly after that. No idea why.

Taking the fridge out involved taking out four fixing screws, undoing a gas coupling and unplugging a couple of leads. Time taken 5 mins.

Something to consider if you feel confident.

(and yes you are allowed to work on gas fittings in caravans)

poolebob

Tipping a fridge over make any air locks come to the top.

I have never done it but people who buy a second hand fridge tend to cart them off home and complain they do not work.

What has happened is they lay them down and put then in the back of a van or car and then stand them up again.

I was told if this happens it can be cured by rolling them over slowly to get the air bubbles to release the air lock in the coolant.

Myth or what?

I have never done it but people who buy a second hand fridge tend to cart them off home and complain they do not work.

What has happened is they lay them down and put then in the back of a van or car and then stand them up again.

I was told if this happens it can be cured by rolling them over slowly to get the air bubbles to release the air lock in the coolant.

Myth or what?

Totally impossible for a fridge to work with air in the coolant (fridge gas) system.

What the turning or standing of the fridge is doing is separating liquid from gas.

Brian

I had a very similar problem on our 2006 Coachman. When checking metodically for the fault, I discovered that, in the recess behind the convector heater, the fridge was plugged into a 240 volt socket with a switched outlet. Very close to this switch was the flexible duct for carrying heat around the van, and vibration during travelling had simply knocked the switch to the OFF position. Next to it was a similar socket for providing power to less critical services, so I just swapped the plug positions.

Check for a simple fault like that (which in my would include a fuse cartridge in the plug top) before delving too deeply.

Myth or what?

A Thetford engr. told me (last year) whilst spending nearly 4 (yes four) hours 'fixing mine, that this does not apply to 'modern' fridges as fitted in 'vans.

A bit like the words 'reliable' & 'fit for purpose' then. ............