DSG Gearbox Towing Dilemma

To be honest on the modern platforms the sensor suite available to the cars ecu and hence across the canbus network far exceeds the cornering sensor that was originally installed in the original DSG's.

The DQ250 is now approaching 20 years from design stage and 17 years from original production.

Modern platforms have sophisticated stability systems, traction systems, torque vectoring systems and now various automated driving systems. There's a vast array of data available on the can bus network as to where the car is, what it's doing,  how it is being driven, what traction is available, what mode the driver has selected, etc, etc.

More modern gearboxes can use more of this data.

For those interested in transmissions have a look at the Regara.

A 5.0V8 hybrid with no gears, no gearbox.  Just direct drive with a torque converter and lockup clutch.

The equivalent of being stuck in 7th on their previous box but the car still does 0 to 248mph in that one gear.

And if out look at an onboard shot the gear selector shows 1 as that's the only option going forward, 

Edited by logiclee
  • Thanks 1

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People are still buying DSG cars and still worried about towing and reliability, it's good to know people are still looking at this post and giving their experience. I think It gives a little long t

When they no longer need us to drive them.

On your Yeti that is done with the DSG mapping. It doesn't require gradient sensors.   If there is no throttle input and speed increases over the speed/time threshold the box will change dow

Posted Images

I wonder when cars will have ring lasers and true Inertial Navigation Systems?

Skoda Yeti 2.0 Outdoor DSG.  Freedom Jetstream Sports Twin Flare.  Reich mover.

10 minutes ago, kelper said:

I wonder when cars will have ring lasers and true Inertial Navigation Systems?

When they no longer need us to drive them.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

• 1 month later...

Just to add some triviality.

My offspring has an Audi A3 with the 6 speed DSG gearbox.

When I get to use it I use the manual shift to make it go as I want.

I have a Touareg with a 6 speed DSG box.

I never use the manual shift because there seems no point.

Solo I use sport if I'm blasting away from roundabouts, or up slip roads.

Otherwise just let the car do its thing.

Towing a 2 tonne caravan I leave the gearbox in Sport because that seems to work well.

Noting that if I engage cruise control it drops into 6 fairly soon, but with cruise control disengaged it spends a lot more time in 5.

Hymer Nova 580 2016 and VW Touareg 2009 SE

16 minutes ago, LittleGreyCat said:

Just to add some triviality.

My offspring has an Audi A3 with the 6 speed DSG gearbox.

When I get to use it I use the manual shift to make it go as I want.

Towing a 2 tonne caravan I leave the gearbox in Sport because that seems to work well.

Noting that if I engage cruise control it drops into 6 fairly soon, but with cruise control disengaged it spends a lot more time in 5.

The Touareg is not DSG. 

24 minutes ago, LittleGreyCat said:

No Touareg has a DSG gearbox - both generation 1 and 2 use a conventional Aisin torque converter plus epycyclic gearbox - 6-speed on the 1st generation and 8-speed on the 2nd generation

Logiclee beat me to it

Edited by Black Grouse

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

11 minutes ago, logiclee said:

The Touareg is not DSG. 

Which exactly what I told the salesman  when I bought our Touareg. 

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

No Touareg has a DSG gearbox - both generation 1 and 2 use a conventional Aisin torque converter plus epycyclic gearbox - 6-speed on the 1st generation and 8-speed on the 2nd generation

Logiclee beat me to it

And 3rd Gen has the ZF8HP.

19 minutes ago, LittleGreyCat said:

Ah - OK.

Thought the gear change layout meant it was DSG,

Your Touareg is Tiptronic - that's a Porsche trademark but licensed to other brands within the VW Group - people use the term on other brands that have the same function unofficially - the presence of flappy paddles can be on any type of automatic.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

I had an opportunity to drive a Hyundai with a DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox)  very, very, impressive. So much better than an "Ordinary " automatic. However I haven't towed with one!

45 minutes ago, JohnPat said:

I had an opportunity to drive a Hyundai with a DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox)  very, very, impressive. So much better than an "Ordinary " automatic. However I haven't towed with one!

The Hyundai has a good Dual Clutch box that has good reliability.

But "So much better" is a big statement and what "Ordinary" automatics is it being compared against?

The Hyundai DCT is a dry clutch design, maybe even the best dry clutch. But being Dry it still has the inherent problems of not liking slip so can be a little jerky with low speed maneuvers, especially like reversing a caravan.

Is it better than some "Ordinary" torque converter auto's, yes undoubtedly.

Is it better than the best torque converter auto's like the ZF8HP as fitted by Rolls Royce, Porsche, Bentley, Audi, BMW, JLR?  Or the Aisin 8 speed or Merc 9 speed? No definitely not especially when towing is considered.

Edited by logiclee

I’ve gradually become a huge fan of automatics. I was more than a little put off by my mates 1988 Metro, but every TC auto I’ve driven in the last 20 years has been a joy. 

I’m far from convinced by twin clutch boxes, they feel harsh, and are often fragile, but a good auto box like the ZF8HP is amazing.

We use Allison MD3000 transmissions in the fire trucks at work and they seem bulletproof. And make life easier for response drivers, all the manual truck transmissions I’ve used are slow and ponderous and take concentration away from where it should be, on the upcoming road and traffic conditions. 

I never plan on buying another manual car. 

10 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

I’ve gradually become a huge fan of automatics. I was more than a little put off by my mates 1988 Metro, but every TC auto I’ve driven in the last 20 years has been a joy. 

I’m far from convinced by twin clutch boxes, they feel harsh, and are often fragile, but a good auto box like the ZF8HP is amazing.

We use Allison MD3000 transmissions in the fire trucks at work and they seem bulletproof. And make life easier for response drivers, all the manual truck transmissions I’ve used are slow and ponderous and take concentration away from where it should be, on the upcoming road and traffic conditions. 

I never plan on buying another manual car. 

Me neither, my wife  wouldn't allow it anyway.