Sign in to follow this  
mellyboy

DSG Gearbox Towing Dilemma

I ordered a used top of the range 2006 Skoda Octavia estate last weekend, fantastic car, very low mileage with a DSG Auto, did some searching with regard to towing with this gear box, very interesting, but with to regard to towing some very negative comments,issues when driving, massive costs involved if maintenance or replacement is required. I have cancelled that car, no problem as they had customers who asked to be informed if my sale fell through, I have now ordered a next to top of the range 2010 Manual Octavia estate 2lt 140hp, super car but had to raid the piggy bank for the manual as it was lot more expensive. Does any of you guys tow with the the Vag group wet clutch six speed dsg box, there is a new Seven speed dry clutch Dsg which I understand is a improvment. should I have stuck with the Dsg, did I allowed a bout of paranoia to develop from reading scare stories and possibly misinformation on the net. That said I am very happy with my new purchase just got to figure how to pay for a tank of diesel !!!!!!

Nearly four years ago I got anew car my first ever car with a DSG gearbox and it was the Skoda Octavia estate best tow car I have had.

Last May having had it 3 years I changed my car again, Just to show you what I thought about the Skoda and towing I bought another new Skoda Octavia estate with a DSG gear box and when and if I am still vaning in 2 years time and change again it will be a Skoda Octavia estate. I was on a rally field last year and it was that muddy people were been towed off the site. I set off with very little revs and kept them low until I got off the site without any help. The only problem I have is I have to go 30 miles when I need my second year service, but they do let be have the use of a car. I also know what that sevice cost is going to be when I buy the car.

Billy bill

Does any of you guys tow with the the Vag group wet clutch six speed dsg box, there is a new Seven speed dry clutch Dsg which I understand is a improvement.

Nearly four years ago I got anew car my first ever car with a DSG gearbox and it was the Skoda Octavia estate best tow car I have had.

Last May having had it 3 years I changed my car again, Just to show you what I thought about the Skoda and towing I bought another new Skoda Octavia estate with a DSG gear box and when and if I am still vaning in 2 years time and change again it will be a Skoda Octavia estate.

Billy bill

Thanks for posting, makes me feel happy about the six month wait for my Golf Estate with 7 speed DSG . ... Golf and Octavia are the essentially the same car, first choice was the Octavia, but Skoda don't do Greenline with DSG where VW do offer Bluemotion with DSG. As this car will see me caught up in the company car tax system the Bluemotion/DSG combination offers an advantage of lower tax bill because of its low emissions.

Passat DSG towing for 4 years. Excellent power but dreadful turbo lag and I thought not very refined.

perhaps current models better.

Hi all, I have a Tiguan 2ltr with the new 7 speed DSG gearbox. I tow a Bailey 464 'van weighing in at 1350kgs. .........I have covered 5000miles so far and no problems whatsoever, about 2000mls towing said van in uk and Spain. The gearbox changes very smoothly up and down and fuel consumption is good, 50mpg solo and 28 towing. The only issue when towing is 7th gear is very high ie 1600rpm = 58mph, so very good on the flat but a bit of a pain on inclines (towing that is). Generally change down to 6th gear and it pulls OK (2000rpm about 58mph ish!).

Overall, great gearbox, great car!

Regards

Adrian

I have Six Speed Passat. Only towed with it twice so far, fully laden. Get around 30mpg towing, 50 solo. Very smooth box, and in sport mode very, very sprty to drive. On inclines it will slip back to 5th gear. I had a bit of a job getting the van off a grass pitch, but It was on an incline and damp. Still managed all the same.

As I said in your earlier thread I have been towing with a SEAT Toledo 2. 0Tdi DSG (6 speed) for 3 yrs (from new) and have had no problems whatsoever with the gearbox or excessive fuel consumption. Same gearbox as VW, Skoda and Audi.

Steve

Hi all, I have a Tiguan 2ltr with the new 7 speed DSG gearbox. I tow a Bailey 464 'van weighing in at 1350kgs. .........I have covered 5000miles so far and no problems whatsoever, about 2000mls towing said van in uk and Spain. The gearbox changes very smoothly up and down and fuel consumption is good, 50mpg solo and 28 towing. The only issue when towing is 7th gear is very high ie 1600rpm = 58mph, so very good on the flat but a bit of a pain on inclines (towing that is). Generally change down to 6th gear and it pulls OK (2000rpm about 58mph ish!).

Overall, great gearbox, great car!

I don't want to be accused of 'nit picking', but one of the delights of the DSG box is the facility to simply push the stick to the left and use the box manually. I've never towed with my Octavias but I regularly use the 'manual' side and that's solo, helps keep the revs down!

Passat DSG towing for 4 years. Excellent power but dreadful turbo lag and I thought not very refined.

perhaps current models better.

The laggy, noisy, unreliable 2. 0PD unit was replaced by an all new common rail diesel in mid 2008. The 2. 0PD unit is no longer fitted to any VAG model.

Cheers

Lee

. Does any of you guys tow with the the Vag group wet clutch six speed dsg box, there is a new Seven speed dry clutch Dsg which I understand is a improvment.

The 7 speed dry clutch box is newer, reliability has been good and it's more efficient. Saying that the problems with early wet clutch boxes have been ironed out but now includes an expensive 40k miles oil change.

Having driven both types extensively the 7 speed is crisper but the wet clutch 6 speed is much smoother when moving in 1st or reverse, the wet clutches are happy to slip while the dry clutches always try to fully engage. The 7 speed dry clutch box off sets this a little by having a very low first gear.

The dry clutch box also has a clutch overheat function that shuts down power if the clutch gets too hot, maybe a consideration if you do a lot of reversing with a large caravan.

Ford have recently introduced a new dual clutch gearbox for it's higher torque models and it's a wet clutch design. Smaller engined cars will get a dry dual clutch gearbox later.

I think VAG may have introduced the technology a little early nearly 9 years ago and have suffered as a result of early teething problems but the technology is now pretty much proven and VAG have proved it's the way forward and is available across all types of vehicle from a Fabia to a Ferrari.

I certainly have no issues towing with DSG, I find it as easy as a conventional auto.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Having driven both types extensively the 7 speed is crisper but the wet clutch 6 speed is much smoother when moving in 1st or reverse, the wet clutches are happy to slip while the dry clutches always try to fully engage.

Ford have recently introduced a new dual clutch gearbox for it's higher torque models and it's a wet clutch design.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

Our Galaxy has the twin clutch gearbox and the first time I towed with it it seemed to be slipping but once the car gets going everything is fine in fact I inadvertantly had it in second (manual mode) and it drove away quite easily towing our van on an incline.

Just as a matter of interest I was wondering what is expected lifespan of such clutches and, more to the point, what is the cost of replacement?

Regards,

Ian.

I don't want to be accused of 'nit picking', but one of the delights of the DSG box is the facility to simply push the stick to the left and use the box manually. I've never towed with my Octavias but I regularly use the 'manual' side and that's solo, helps keep the revs down!

That's nothing to do with DSGs - virtually all conventional automatics have a manual mode these days.

Hi Lee,

Our Galaxy has the twin clutch gearbox and the first time I towed with it it seemed to be slipping but once the car gets going everything is fine in fact I inadvertantly had it in second (manual mode) and it drove away quite easily towing our van on an incline.

Just as a matter of interest I was wondering what is expected lifespan of such clutches and, more to the point, what is the cost of replacement?

Regards,

Ian.

Wet Clutches will slip without issue as they run in oil, at junctions when moving mine will slip the clutch in second rather than shifting to first sometimes. Not a problem it's how they are designed.

The clutches are designed to last the life of the gearbox. How long will the box last is too early to say on the Ford. VAG boxes can withstand high miles but if you do have one go it's a £5k bill.

Cheers

Lee

Hi,

I found that with my last EGS gearbox and the present Ford gearbox that changing manually does improve fuel consumption over the auto mode,

Regards,

Ian.

Wet Clutches will slip without issue as they run in oil, at junctions when moving mine will slip the clutch in second rather than shifting to first sometimes. Not a problem it's how they are designed.

The clutches are designed to last the life of the gearbox. How long will the box last is too early to say on the Ford. VAG boxes can withstand high miles but if you do have one go it's a £5k bill.

Cheers

Lee

Thanks for the information Lee, I did suspect that a failure would be expensive though it is good to know that it such an occurence should not be a regular problem (relatively),

Regards,

Ian.

The laggy, noisy, unreliable 2. 0PD unit was replaced by an all new common rail diesel in mid 2008. The 2. 0PD unit is no longer fitted to any VAG model.

Cheers

Lee

A bit harsh comment on the PD engine, not worth getting into a technical discussion,with the number of taxis that have the Octavia pd diesel if they are laggy noisy and unreliable the word would have got round and they would not have been used as taxis all over the country, to be used as taxis sometime 24/7 they have to be above all thing be reliable, have you seen the PD vrs fabia on you tube thrashing the mini cooper, not to laggy then, even Clarkson was amazed.

A bit harsh comment on the PD engine, not worth getting into a technical discussion,with the number of taxis that have the Octavia pd diesel if they are laggy noisy and unreliable the word would have got round and they would not have been used as taxis all over the country, to be used as taxis sometime 24/7 they have to be above all thing be reliable, have you seen the PD vrs fabia on you tube thrashing the mini cooper, not to laggy then, even Clarkson was amazed.

The Mk1 Fabia VRS had the 1. 9 8V unit which was a solid dependable unit. I was replying to the Passat comment which used the first 2. 0PD 16V unit with engine code BKP. This unit has been a pig with fuel pump and siemens injector failures. The injector failure issue is well documented over on the VWAudi forums, they are upto £900 each if you need the loom as well. The 2. 0PD in the Octavia uses different injectors.

Cheers

Lee

I ordered a used top of the range 2006 Skoda Octavia estate last weekend, fantastic car, very low mileage with a DSG Auto, did some searching with regard to towing with this gear box, very interesting, but with to regard to towing some very negative comments,issues when driving, massive costs involved if maintenance or replacement is required. I have cancelled that car, no problem as they had customers who asked to be informed if my sale fell through, I have now ordered a next to top of the range 2010 Manual Octavia estate 2lt 140hp, super car but had to raid the piggy bank for the manual as it was lot more expensive. Does any of you guys tow with the the Vag group wet clutch six speed dsg box, there is a new Seven speed dry clutch Dsg which I understand is a improvment. should I have stuck with the Dsg, did I allowed a bout of paranoia to develop from reading scare stories and possibly misinformation on the net. That said I am very happy with my new purchase just got to figure how to pay for a tank of diesel !!!!!!

From new Feb 2009 CR170 with DSG towing a Bailey twin axle 1589kg MTPLM - no problems at all, and haven't ever used the manual shift - the auto does it perfectly. Normally tows best at 58mph on motorways in 6th around 26mpg compared with 47mpg solo albeit at higher cruising speeds. Connected via Skoda's own detachable tow bar system. Brian

That's nothing to do with DSGs - virtually all conventional automatics have a manual mode these days.

Pardon me for speaking!!

Pardon me for speaking!!

Alright I'll rephrase my comment - conventional automatics are just as delightful as the DSG as they also get manual mode.

Alright I'll rephrase my comment - conventional automatics are just as delightful as the DSG as they also get manual mode.

I'm sorry, but that's a general and inaccurate statement. As an example, my auto Sorento doesn't have a 'manual' side like the DSG.

Hi to you all out there. My understanding of the modern multiple speed automatics of the DSG type is that the wet clutch is the one to go for. Each of the two clutches has a job to do in relation to the range of the ratios. One of the reported disadvantages of the 6,7 8 speed boxes is that the are prone on incline ascents to be looking for the right/comfortable gear. I have no knowledge of this with 5speed auto boxes albeit I don't know if they came with DSG wet or dry. The older and more conventional Auto Box was simply manual by shift the auto shift stick,in effect you could start off in 1 and go through the box and 'HOLD' onto the gear up-to the RED LINE. This was of particular benefit when faced with steep ascents and within a safe rev range it could be held ie. Hold1,Hold2,Hold3 and into D(Drive) as & when). Likewise on descents the box could be used to aid braking(engine braking) even down into 1 and relieve the work on the braking system. My Scorpio Ultima has a 4speed conventional auto (4ALDE)box with and Electronic Overdrive. I have yet to tow with it but it has Economy,Sport and Overdrive options and of course can be used with the shift as a manual selection with Hold up and or down the box.

My own personal choice would always where ever possible be a conventional Auto Gearbox, I will never tow with a conventional manual gearbox and clutch ever again,even to the extent of searching out older low mileage cars rather than the later offerings. When they are no more and reduced to metal cubes & bean cans I will look at the lesser number of ratios DSG wet systems.

My 97 Volvo T5 CD Auto is an excellent tow-car with awesome bhp/torque but the kerbweight is less than the Scorpio as is the maximum braked towing weight,they are both conventional Torque Converter Automatics.

I'm sorry, but that's a general and inaccurate statement. As an example, my auto Sorento doesn't have a 'manual' side like the DSG.

Yes - I missed the word modern from my rephrased comment.

The older Kia Sorento, pre 2010, has an older automatic without manual mode, but it's 2010-on replacement has manual mode like most modern automatics.

. One of the reported disadvantages of the 6,7 8 speed boxes is that the are prone on incline ascents to be looking for the right/comfortable gear. I have no knowledge of this with 5speed auto boxes albeit I don't know if they came with DSG wet or dry. The older and more conventional Auto Box was simply manual by shift the auto shift stick,in effect you could start off in 1 and go through the box and 'HOLD' onto the gear up-to the RED LINE. This was of particular benefit when faced with steep ascents and within a safe rev range it could be held ie. Hold1,Hold2,Hold3 and into D(Drive) as & when).

DSG's can be placed in manual mode by lightly moving the lever one inch to the left when in drive. Whatever gear you are in is then held. The ECU will only override you if you hit the redline, are about to stall or operate the kickdown switch. When in manual mode up and down changes can be made by just tapping the gear lever forward or backwards. Pulling the lever back to the right puts the gearbox back in D. You can change between manual or automatic at any time or speed. Some models also have steering wheel paddles for manual changes.

There has never been a 5 speed DSG certainly not of the modern variety, as a general rule for VAG and Ford group cars the 6 speed are wet clutch and 7 speed dry clutch.

I see you have not towed with your Scorpio yet. That Auto box had a dreadfull reputation for towing reliabilty, even making a full page writeup in the Club Magazine. I blew two myself. If it hasn't got a seperate air/oil cooler fitted for the gearbox get one fitted or you will boil the transmission fluid towing. I dont believe it had an electric overdrive just that 4th gear was an overdrive ratio and control of 3rd to 4th gear was under control of the ecu, the rest of the box changed as per pre ECU gearboxes.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

DSG's can be placed in manual mode by lightly moving the lever one inch to the left when in drive. Whatever gear you are in is then held. The ECU will only override you if you hit the redline, are about to stall or operate the kickdown switch. When in manual mode up and down changes can be made by just tapping the gear lever forward or backwards. Pulling the lever back to the right puts the gearbox back in D. You can change between manual or automatic at any time or speed. Some models also have steering wheel paddles for manual changes.

There has never been a 5 speed DSG certainly not of the modern variety, as a general rule for VAG and Ford group cars the 6 speed are wet clutch and 7 speed dry clutch.

I see you have not towed with your Scorpio yet. That Auto box had a dreadfull reputation for towing reliabilty, even making a full page writeup in the Club Magazine. I blew two myself. If it hasn't got a seperate air/oil cooler fitted for the gearbox get one fitted or you will boil the transmission fluid towing. I dont believe it had an electric overdrive just that 4th gear was an overdrive ratio and control of 3rd to 4th gear was under control of the ecu, the rest of the box changed as per pre ECU gearboxes.

Cheers

Lee

Pre-ECU gearboxes? Even my early '80s Vauxhall Senator had a transmission ECU, separate from the engine ECU.

Pre-ECU gearboxes? Even my early '80s Vauxhall Senator had a transmission ECU, separate from the engine ECU.

From memory Roger I think I'm correct, I believe when Ford introduced the 4 speed Auto it was based on the earlier 3 speed but 3rd and 4th change point was electronically controlled. It didn't have a gearbox ECU the engine management ECU controlled the change. Also kickdown was modified to be electrically controlled but this was just a switch on the accelerator that operated an external solenoid on the side of the gearbox that pulled a cable and operated kickdown.

Thinking back I had four of these boxes and towed a caravan with two. The 2. 8V6 blew and cost £800 to rebuild in the late 80's, fitted cooler and OK. I later had a 2. 0EFI DHOC and had an oil cooler fitted but still blew, turns out the V6 had a viscous fan so had constant cooling, the 2. 0 had electric fan which didn't pull in because the water temp was OK. This box was done under warranty and I had an override switch fitted so I could keep the electric fans running when towing.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee