Ist Pegasus Service

I had my Pegasus 462 serviced today for the first time. Standard charge of £150 +VAT. One of the speakers hadn't been working for some time - turns out its dead and needs replacing. Now on back-order from Bailey and hope that it can be delivered to my home for self-fit as it's a 110 mile round trip to my dealers. Discovered that the 12V connection from the battery to the van had not been properly installed and was not plugged-in. Poor build quality! I always use EHU, so it hadn't been a problem. Pink-spotted bumper seals replaced under warranty.

Perhaps more worrying was that there were signs of a mouse (chewed supermarket bags) in the top left overhead locker. Guess they (it) got in through a small opening in the top of the locker, just below the speaker. Off to get some mesh to cover all similar openings and a trap to catch the pest, if it's still around. I doubt that it has been there long as I emptied overhead lockers 10 days ago, prior to servicing. The good news is that there was no serious damage.

Brian

Ford Mondeo 2. 0 TDCi (1880PS) Zetec and Bailey Pursuit 400-2

dont understand the standard service charge £150 + vat. . we paid that with vat ?

no issues here except fuse had blown on the omni-vent.

ex-alutech :angry: owner - now rehabilitated and happy :)

Price is £150 incl VAT

Had mine done before Christmas and all was fine.

Got a 20% discount on my 2nd service as i booked it at my dealers open day. Got a free wash thrown in too.

Outfit:

2003 Kia Sorento XS 3. 5 V6 automatic and 2010 Bailey Pegasus 534

Price is £150 incl VAT

Had mine done before Christmas and all was fine.

Got a 20% discount on my 2nd service as i booked it at my dealers open day. Got a free wash thrown in too.

For the sake of clarity, I've sent an email to Bailey for advice on whether it is VAT inc or VAT ex. A difference of £30!!

Brian

For the sake of clarity, I've sent an email to Bailey for advice on whether it is VAT inc or VAT ex. A difference of £30!!

Brian

I can assure you that the price includes VAT.

I was given a price of £203 incl of VAT for my 2nd service. Full riice is £250. As said in previous post i got a 20% discount on the service price.

Edited by bfgbeanieking

Outfit:

2003 Kia Sorento XS 3. 5 V6 automatic and 2010 Bailey Pegasus 534

I can assure you that the price includes VAT.

I was given a price of £203 incl of VAT for my 2nd service. Full riice is £250. As said in previous post i got a 20% discount on the service price.

At the launch of the Pegasus, Bailey offered 3 services at a fixed all inclusive rate of 1st £150. 00, Second £150. 00, 3rd £300. check with Bailey.

Perhaps someone else can confirm the figures.

Brian

Had our 524 serviced recently but we had a monthly deal with our dealers when we bought the caravan.

Must admit makes it easier just extended deal we had on the Pageant we had before with North Staffs Caravans,

excellent to deal with.

As towardsthe supermarket bags, we had the same problem in the house before Christmas with Tesco bags.

Absolutely postive there were no mice around where the bags were kept and came to the conclusion it's the bags

which are extremely thin starting to bio-degrade. They go exactly as if they've been mouse chewed.

Tom

Am i the only one that thinks caravan service charges are a rip off?

Considering what actually gets done on a service?

My car is cheaper to service.

Cost of M1 service £150.

M2 service due month end cost £180.

Brian

You only have to look in your Bailey Service book. The fixed price is quoted in there plus VAT and parts

Brian

My peg 546 is at Reads now for 1st service quoted £200 after £30 vat and £20 parts. Pick up on sat. Looking at what people are paying around the country price varies. I thought it was a set price so year 2 £250 add another £50 vat £20 parts = £320. . year 3 £350 add another £70 vat £20 parts = £440. .. Not cheap. This is based on my 1st service or have I gone mad. These are crazy prices. For year 2 and 3. Shane are reads planning on doing any deals for yr 2 and yr 3.

2009 Mazda BT-50 Pick Up 2010 Bailey Pegasus 546.

Brian

Had our 524 serviced recently but we had a monthly deal with our dealers when we bought the caravan.

Must admit makes it easier just extended deal we had on the Pageant we had before with North Staffs Caravans,

excellent to deal with.

As towardsthe supermarket bags, we had the same problem in the house before Christmas with Tesco bags.

Absolutely postive there were no mice around where the bags were kept and came to the conclusion it's the bags

which are extremely thin starting to bio-degrade. They go exactly as if they've been mouse chewed.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the info on the Tesco bags. Mine were the same and you have, to some extent, set my mind at rest about a possible mouse problem. My Tesco bags had broken down to a fine almost dust like consistency. Still think I'll take mice preventions actions though.

Brian

You only have to look in your Bailey Service book. The fixed price is quoted in there plus VAT and parts

Brian

Brian,

You're right about the servicing costs as quoted in the Service book. This has been confirmed by Kelly at Bailey below:

I can confirm that the service charges are as follows:

Year 1: Standard caravan service @ £150 + Parts + VAT

Year 2: Standard caravan service @ £250+ Parts + VAT

Year 3: Standard caravan service + full body shell bolt torque @ £350+ Parts + VAT

Years 4 to 10: Standard caravan service @ service centre's normal price tariff

I trust this is of assistance Kind Regards

Kelly Watts

Bailey Helpline

Those who say that they paid VAT inc prices are indeed lucky or have a more generous dealer than mine.

Brian

My peg 546 is at Reads now for 1st service quoted £200 after £30 vat and £20 parts. Pick up on sat. Looking at what people are paying around the country price varies. I thought it was a set price so year 2 £250 add another £50 vat £20 parts = £320. . year 3 £350 add another £70 vat £20 parts = £440. .. Not cheap. This is based on my 1st service or have I gone mad. These are crazy prices. For year 2 and 3. Shane are reads planning on doing any deals for yr 2 and yr 3.

Make sure you get details of all the parts replaced - the one-shot hub nuts are under £3. 50 each incl VAT.

My dealer, Swindon Caravans, charged me their normal rate. I think I paid £134 + parts. I will check the paperwork when I get home.

Tesco carrier bags - we get the same problem. The disintegrate so quickly, good for the enviroment, but not good if you want to reuse them.

Regarding shredded plastic bags, were they Tesco ones as they seem to self distruct. Found in my loft the same thing but Morrison etc were ok.

Our 534 is going in for first service in March. Funny one of our speakers is playing up (buzzes at some frequencies!) Also having rear seal replaced as it has pink spots. :blink: One cupboard catch to be adjusted.

Only other fault in first year was a faulty circuit board on water heater. Fixed under warranty.

Van was immaculate on collection as usual from Salop.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

My dealer, Swindon Caravans, charged me their normal rate. I think I paid £134 + parts. I will check the paperwork when I get home. .

Hi Spideygirl,

Swindon caravans seem to be consistently fairer to the customers, satisfied to make a reasonable profit from us Swindon caravanners than the majority of dealers in other areas, who it seems like to charge the maximum amount they can get away with charging.

The recommended service charge suggested by Baileys is not mandatory but a guideline, dealers don't have to charge the top whack, they may of course just be inefficient, and have to make a greater charge because they are not so good at their job. There has already been a dealer on the forum who has intimated that Swindon Caravans didn't do a full service because they don't use the same service form he utilises – piffle and poppycock I say – If you are charged more than £140 inclusive for a first service – look for another service agent I say. ..

Regards Terry :)

i will be looking at the 2nd and 3rd year servicing prices in the near future. especially for our customers who have bought their alu-tech caravans from us. so i will keep you updated

Edited by Reads

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

£50 difference is a lot give away. I'm sure the service is the same at all dealers. They all service to the manufacturers guidelines. I've agreed to this price now £200 so no use getting upset Just hope service 2 and 3 are carried out at a price which keeps customers happy.

2009 Mazda BT-50 Pick Up 2010 Bailey Pegasus 546.