Sign in to follow this  
meddyliol

Thetford Grill

Has anyone had the same problem as we have with our 2011 Lunar Clubman SE Cooker? After the grill has been on for about 10 minutes the gas goes off and will only relight if the knob is held in, not a very good idea to do this. Is there some sort of safety feature on it?

Cheers

Brian

Is the regulator OK and not gunged up. I know this shouldn't be a problem on a new 2011 van, butwas a common issue some time ago.

By the way how's the van, I'd love to know since we collect our new Ultima 560 next week, weather permitting

Thanks for your reply. I think the regulator is OK. The van has been fine so far. We are at Dornafield in Devon at the moment and at one time there were three clubmans on site at the same time. One has had no problems to speak of, the other on the night they were leaving, the Alde heating stopped working. The fluid level had disappeared. I have had no real problems with the heating after having to top up a few times when it was new, it does get very warm and was down to -9 at times (the outside temperature not the heating). The only other thing and this seems to be common, is the centre front blind right hand side bottom plastic thing (technical term)came off. I reported it to Highbridge Caravans where I bought it from and they sent a fitter to me to fix it. I was only five miles from them at the time. It is still not quite right so will have a word with them next week when I am back in the area, there is supposed to be a modification of some description. We have never had a caravan before, we had a motorhome before that, so am on a fairly steep learning curve. No, we haven't had any real issues so touch wood, it stays the same.

Cheers

Brian

Has anyone had the same problem as we have with our 2011 Lunar Clubman SE Cooker? After the grill has been on for about 10 minutes the gas goes off and will only relight if the knob is held in, not a very good idea to do this. Is there some sort of safety feature on it?

Cheers

Brian

We have a 2010 SE (September 2009) and have never had this problem.

Sounds like low gas pressure (maybe try another regulator?).

<edit> but thinking about it, I did have a regulator pack up a year ago</edit>

Edited by irie

We have a 2010 SE (September 2009) and have never had this problem.

Sounds like low gas pressure (maybe try another regulator?).

<edit> but thinking about it, I did have a regulator pack up a year ago</edit>

The thing is, if it is left for while it works again. Doesn't this suggest that it isn't the regulator. As I am a newby at this, what regulator are you talking about? The one on the gas cylinder or does the oven have a regulator as well? Another problem I have which is unrelated is when we move site and try and put the radio on it doesn't work. It takes a number of taking the front on and off before it works. I have just moved to a site in Somerset and I cannot get it to work.

Cheers

Brian B)

Edited by meddyliol

The thing is, if it is left for while it works again. Doesn't this suggest that it isn't the regulator. As I am a newby at this, what regulator are you talking about? The one on the gas cylinder or does the oven have a regulator as well?

Cheers

Brian B)

Those symptoms ARE a faulty regulator! (especialy the bulkhead mounted type). There is only the one unless your 'van is different to the norm.

Edited by micktheshed

The thing is, if it is left for while it works again. Doesn't this suggest that it isn't the regulator. As I am a newby at this, what regulator are you talking about? The one on the gas cylinder or does the oven have a regulator as well? Another problem I have which is unrelated is when we move site and try and put the radio on it doesn't work. It takes a number of taking the front on and off before it works. I have just moved to a site in Somerset and I cannot get it to work.

Cheers

Brian B)

On the bulkhead inside the front locker above and between the two gas bottles.

Regarding the front centre blind we are having a new one fitted at the end of the month due to the bottom right hand plastic clip, it came off 1/2 dozen times “cause” the blind needs spacers fitted to lift it clear of the window seal, l have had mine done it was to late damaged to the clip was too great so a new blind is being fitted. We have had to have the fixed bed re screwed on the centre panel due to some missing screws, had it strengthened having a bracket fitted at the top to make it more secure, hinges on the Spinlow sink being replaced at the same time has the blind, top it all shower bulk head side panel split, the shower manufacturer PSS is replacing the panel when all other problems are rectified. Must admit the dealer and Lunar have been excellent in progressing all the warranty claims, hope by the end of the month all will be fine. I also lost the coolant in the Aldi heating since weve had the van, which was May 2010 topped up twice not sure if its due to evaporation or the system was not filled correctly in the first place, will keep a check on it over this winter, all being well will be at Castleton at the end of the month.

NigelH

Hi,

Your grill problem is most likely to be a faulty flame failure device (FFD) on the grill. Basically this is a thermocouple which heats up when the gas is on, and when at the operating temperature, it holds the gas valve open. From what you say it looks as though the FFD is failing, and needs to cool down, before it operates correctly again. This should be a warranty problem so contact your dealer. May be worth having a look under the grill, you should be able to see the FFD at the begining of the burner (you may need a mirror). Check its not got something stuck to it. ..like burnt toast!

Are you still having problems with your grill? see my thread on 12v grill fault. The engineer is due on 21st will post out come but the fault is apparently caused by a cooling fan not working

Thanks for your reply. I think the regulator is OK. The van has been fine so far. We are at Dornafield in Devon at the moment and at one time there were three clubmans on site at the same time. One has had no problems to speak of, the other on the night they were leaving, the Alde heating stopped working. The fluid level had disappeared. I have had no real problems with the heating after having to top up a few times when it was new, it does get very warm and was down to -9 at times (the outside temperature not the heating). The only other thing and this seems to be common, is the centre front blind right hand side bottom plastic thing (technical term)came off. I reported it to Highbridge Caravans where I bought it from and they sent a fitter to me to fix it. I was only five miles from them at the time. It is still not quite right so will have a word with them next week when I am back in the area, there is supposed to be a modification of some description. We have never had a caravan before, we had a motorhome before that, so am on a fairly steep learning curve. No, we haven't had any real issues so touch wood, it stays the same.

Cheers

Brian

Brian, Ref. the Alde heating fluid loss, I posted a response to this on the forum a couple of weeks ago as I suffered the same problem. I eventually found the breather pipe from the header tank had been incorrectly installed and had a tight kink in it effectively blocking it completely. Therefore when the system heats up and the fluid expands it gets pushed out of the overflow pipe. Simple cure was to move the pipe clip up about an inch. I have pics if they will help.

Best regards, Treader