Caravan Movers

I am new to caravaning (< 12 months) and struggle to reverse my van onto my drive - it has a slight slope and there is also next doors garage wall I need to miss(!). It is also difficult to maneouvre the van manually due to it's weight and the slope (and having to rely on neighbours being home to help). I am thinking of buying either a motorised or manually operated mover.

There are a couple of Purpleline Hitchdrives on Ebay - they look pretty solid. Can anyone offer any advice? My caravan fully loaded is 1340kg.

Thanks

RPB

I think you will find that those for sale on ebay are for the reason that they are not very good, an ddo not do the job expected of them. The problem with motorised movers is they have to pull the whole weight of the van, as opposed to the fixed movers actually turning the vans wheels. From the reports Ihave read from ppl who have tried the hitchdrive type, I would not touch one, unless you happen to be on level, smooth ground, they do not work.

I am new to caravaning (< 12 months) and struggle to reverse my van onto my drive - it has a slight slope and there is also next doors garage wall I need to miss(!). It is also difficult to maneouvre the van manually due to it's weight and the slope (and having to rely on neighbours being home to help). I am thinking of buying either a motorised or manually operated mover.

There are a couple of Purpleline Hitchdrives on Ebay - they look pretty solid. Can anyone offer any advice? My caravan fully loaded is 1340kg.

Thanks

RPB

2272[/snapback]

I wasted £200 on the Purle line Hitch mover, its now dumped the the loft including all the packageing ( going cheap :P ) The Hitch drive will only work in perfect conditions ie DRY tarmac / concrete . NOT Recommended

Dave

Thanks

RPB

2272[/snapback]

Try this links for New and recondition electrical motor driven movers

Power wheel new & reconn http://www. powrwheel. com/

2nd hand/ reconn movers http://www. salvagecaravans. com/

New

Also Truma do one http://www. trumauk. com/

Reich http://www1. reich-web. com/index. html

You could also try your local dealer, Caravan mags Caravan trader E Bay for Second Hand Movers

Dave

Hi RPG

We had exactly the same problem you are describing when getting our van behind the garage. I had to turn it around on our drive (just enough space) and then get past the garage (no more than 6 inches either side at one point) and all up a slight slope.

It was a 2 person job until I had a powrtouch caravan mover fitted. (The type that drives the caravan wheels.)

Now I can park our van easily just using the remote control.

They are expensive but worth every penny.

Pete.

I have been able to move my van, which is lighter than yours, up a slight concrete ramp, but I had to change the tractor wheels for the older more solid wheels that came with the kit. The tractor wheels are also rubbish on wet grass cause they just clog up. Depends on the slope, it needs to be very gentle and you have to drop the hitch as low as possible and use the footplate so you can stand on it to press down. If you have a slope you need the footplate in the new kit. It did enable me to reverse my van round two corners and into a space with very little room to spare on my own.

Just had a thought.

Pity you are not closer to where I live. But ask around people who have caravans to see whether they have one you can try out. the Hitchdrive is so easy to whip off one van and put on another it would be easy say for a friend to try it out for you. It was only after i bought mine that I discovered two other aquaintances who had them. After all whatever you go for its a lot of money. ...and a lot more money if you prang the van.

To be honest, I would avoid the Purpleline Hitchdrive unless the area you are moving the van in is relatively flat with good grip and you dont need to move it very far.

I dont think the unit is particulary well designed. For example, the plastic gaitor which covers the main screw thead is very flimsy and held on to the main body by a couple of cheap plastic collars and a tiny screw in each collar. These failed after just using the unit twice. The final straw came at Christmas when using mine and I caught my right hand on something sharp, still not sure what it was and had 6 stitches in 2 fingers.

The device struggles with a dropped kerb so I had to get some metal ramps to bridge the dropped kerb. Can be very hard work depending on your circumstances and occassionally the wheels slip. The footplate helps give more traction but try turning the winch handle whilst trying to stand on or apply pressure to the footplate. ..very tricky. If you're on your own and the wheels cant grip what do you do?!

Also had hitch of the van sink on to the wheels of the Hitchdrive after the clamp came lose possibly due to the decorative stickers on the main body of the unit. I note that new units have no stickers on them.

Mine is now looking very sad after only being used a few times and I now have a powrtouch mover fitted. Would sell you mine but I'm afraid to inflict it on anybody!!!

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

£200 brand new

I only needed mine for where I stored the van and then only because it saved me getting out of the car to keep checking. To be quite honest on a number of occasions I have simply reversed the whole unit - as I got more practised at towing I became better at slotting the van in. I have never needed the Hitchdrive or anything else on site. After towing a luggage trailer a caravan is a doddle to reverse on to a pitch.

You need to ask yourself how much you would need to use a moving device and if the cheaper device would cope with your present circumstances. There is no way I could justify the extra expense of an electric mover for the few occasions when i would use one. ..but then i only deal with a gentle slope.

I had a powrwheel mover fitted in December and also feel it is the best money I have ever spent on the 'van. No more clutch wear either on site or at storage - definately wouldnt be without it. Much easier to hook up the 'van on your own.

Thanks

RPB

2272[/snapback]

I've got one onmy van (Elddis Avante 534),and it takes it up my drive which is about 1 in 4. It's slow but does the job and saves the old clutch. They're about £900, so not cheap, but very useful oncertain sites as well as parking at home.

Charles

Thanks to you all for your replies on this topic. I think I'll see how we get on this year in moving the van onto and off our drive and on sites. We've had our drive block paved recently (was gravel) so this may be enough of an improvement.

RPB

3269[/snapback]

Definately having power mover fitted this spring. ...just one little bit of advice required please.

The dealer we use in the past has been most helpful but has quoted £1. 000 to supply & fit. .I note from others that they have bought direct. ......what is back up service like?

Definately having power mover fitted this spring. ...just one little bit of advice required please.

The dealer we use in the past has been most helpful but has quoted £1. 000 to supply & fit. .I note from others that they have bought direct. ......what is back up service like?

5153[/snapback]

Hi flying scotsman

Have you cocidered reconditioned or second hand look at these site links

Power wheel new & reconn http://www. powrwheel. com/

2nd hand reconn movers http://www. salvagecaravans. com/

Regards

Dave