Looking After Battery For Winter

fairlynewbie

Hello oh knowledgeable ones !

This is my first winter with our little Abi and, after our final trip out this year to a very cold Littlehampton i was told that i should take the battery out for the rest of the winter and put on charge in the garage.

My question is do i leave it on charge all winter ? By the way i do have a leisure charger.

Another little question if i may . .

Before we went to Littlehampton i bought a mains adaptor for the Aquaroll . . unfortunately when we got to connect up the tap was on wrong side of van so the hose supplied with kit was too short !

Alot seemed to be made by the advert that the hose was of " food quality " , Now my question is . .. Does that mean that a regular garden type hose would not be able to be substituted for the undersize hose supplied ?

Many thanks in advance

Adam

Would you drink water from a garden hose?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. Internet connected via 3 dongle Windows 7. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine.

LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,.Reich Move Control. Safefill Fitted. ,CT. Ninja (Hon) Flies the flag. Tyron Bands

Not Much Money but we do see life. Motto . Carpe Diem .

Here we go again

I'd drink water from the garden hose . .... no problem!

its a piece of plastic hose, the water doesn't sit in long enough to absorb contaminents . ..

depending on where you live and how old your house . ..it could be fed via a lead pipe!!

. ..

Alot seemed to be made by the advert that the hose was of " food quality " , Now my question is . .. Does that mean that a regular garden type hose would not be able to be substituted for the undersize hose supplied ?

Many thanks in advance

Adam

I extended mine using hoselock connectors and some food quality hose.

I see you are also in Hants. .... try these guys. .. http://www. hyphose. com/branches. html

HTH

G.

Stand the battery on a piece of wood as batteries dont like cold floors . I would not use a garden hose unless you are only using it for washing and showering .

This time of year Go Outdoors do some good offers in Southampton you might get a good price .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Here we go again

I'd drink water from the garden hose . .... no problem!

its a piece of plastic hose, the water doesn't sit in long enough to absorb contaminents . ..

depending on where you live and how old your house . ..it could be fed via a lead pipe!!

Well said that Man.

nice to see another person without a health and safety hat on ! there is too much of this "you can't, and must do" types

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Well said that Man.

nice to see another person without a health and safety hat on ! there is too much of this "you can't, and must do" types

Radiotwo

Its not just drinking from a hose as the OP said it was an adaptor for his Aquaroll I have heard on a couple of sites that children like playing putting all types of insects and other things in the tops of water containers . For this reason I always use a seperate water container for drinking even though I have a food grade hose .

I was told little boys had been seen p**ing into aquarolls on one site but I m not sure how true that is . :angry:

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Well said that Man.

Radiotwo

Seconded! When gardening in the summer and feeling thirsty, the hose comes in very handy. It saves having to remove footwear before entering the house. If the hose is used from time to time then our chlorinated water isn't going to turn poisonous. And if there is anything there then it will add to my immunity!

Swift Challenger 565 2016 and Ford Kuga Titanium X TDCi

With regard to the battery, as has been said, if storing in the garage, it is better to put it on something to keep it off a concrete floor.

Wood or cardboard is adequate, or an old piece of carpet.

If you have a multi stage charger it is ok to leave on all the time, but all that is needed is to make sure it is kept fully charged, so a check each month would suffice with a top up if required.

It needs to be in a well ventilated area for safety.

As for the hose, there has been a lot said about the materials used in garden hose as opposed to food grade hose, however, the risk involved in using clean garden hose for short duration is negligable.

If using a drop in pump, if you see the amount of slime in the delivery pipe, you would not worry about a bit of garden hose, which you can renew cheaply each year if you want to.

We have used food grade hose for our aquaroll water for everything including drinking and never had any tummy troubles at all, when I sterilise the aquaroll and water system on the van I do the hose as well in a large tub. I also keep the hose in a large plastic bag that can be sealed ( made for fishing keepnets) so after use in muddy conditions etc I can clean it off then pop a sterilising tablet in the bag and rinse off before the next use. Battery wise we leave ours in the van all the time and charge via the onboard charger as we caravan in the winter as well but I do disconnect the van battery leads and couple up a smart charger to give it a good charge up every now and then

should take the battery out for the rest of the winter and put on charge in the garage.

<snip>

Does that mean that a regular garden type hose would not be able to be substituted for the undersize hose supplied ?

Not many people have answered yoru question on the battery. I agree with the poster who said keep the battery off a cold floor. I would be very careful using a charger permanently connected. I have 6 motorbikes, an MGB and a yacht as well as the caravan so batteries are something I can't afford to replace too often. My experience is that even with smart chargers there is a risk if they are permanently connected that they can cause the battery to dry out. Best to connect them once a fortnight or so for 48 hours.

On the matter of a hose, I hope I read your post as 'Fairly Newbie' and not 'Fairy Newbie' :lol: in which case a standard hose is fine. I use one to fill the water tanks on my yacht and neither myself nor my crew have suffered. Hells Bells, didn't we all drink out the garden hose as kids on hot summer days ? B)

Ken the Geordie
Vauxhall Insignia; Bailey Phoenix 640

MGB Roadster and more motorbikes than common sense ought to allow 8:)

Regarding the battery I agree with the others.

Keep it off a cold concrete floor otherwise the severe cooling will shorten its life.

As you have a leisure battery charger it theoretically wouldn't hurt to leave it on charge as it shouldn't be possible to overcharge it, but it's not really necessary.

To maintain maximum capacity it is best to fully charge it abut once a month over the winter period, I don't know how your charger works but on mine I can select "standard battery" which charges at full voltage until fully charged and then drops it to a 13. 5V maintaining charge as output from a caravan charger.

If yours doesn't have this facility you may need to use a "normal" charger every 6 weeks or so, but try to avoid overcharging, and, in any case, don't forget to loosen the caps to let the gas out when fully charging it.

Hope this helps.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

I won't be using my caravan again now until first week in March. I will put my battery on a sheet of polystyrene (I was always told to keep off a cold floor) in the shed and permanently connect a CTEK 3600 to it. It is important to regularly check the fluid levels.

Just one word of warning if you have the Lidl smart charger,while it is first class for the job it does not reset after a power cut whereas the CTEK does.

Bill

I would be very careful using a charger permanently connected. I have 6 motorbikes, an MGB and a yacht as well as the caravan so batteries are something I can't afford to replace too often. My experience is that even with smart chargers there is a risk if they are permanently connected that they can cause the battery to dry out. Best to connect them once a fortnight or so for 48 hours.

The only risk is if the charger goes faulty - just like the risk of the onboard power supply going faulty - my battery is on constant smart charge at home and on site with the car alternator charging on tow, the only break being the few minutes during hitching up or unhitching.

Batteries on cold/concrete floors is a myth. It may have been true going back to the days when battery cases were made with pitch compounds but not with modern batteries.

The garage floor will be at ambient temperature as will the battery casing and contents.

It is true a cold battery will produce less voltage but this applies where ever the battery is placed.

A fully charged battery will not freeze in U. K. temperatures but a partially charged or "flat" battery may.

What do people think of this?

Last winter, I set the battery up in the garage with a very simple car battery trickle charger.(The only controls you have are "high" and "low". I checked that the distilled water was at the correct level in each cell and left the screw tops loose. It was plugged in through a simple timer switch so it would get about 6 hours low charge per day. This seemed to keep the battery fully-charged and it did need small top-ups of water every few weeks.

Is this good practice or not? It didn't matter really last year because our leisure battery is ancient and is no good without electric hook up to support it. When I get a lovely new leisure battery, should I upgrade my charging set up too?

If you're getting a new battery invest in a smart charger as well, it'll look after the battery. A cheap Aldi/Lidl special offer £13 or CTEK about £50 will both do the job - the CTEK will restart automatically after a power interruption which tha Aldi/Lidl won't.

I will add a question regarding battery care over winter.

I have bought a brand new Lucas leisure battery for my new but delayed caravan. It has been sat in the garage in the cardboard box it arrived in for about month now.

Will it be fine as is till my caravan arrives in the new year? Or should I give it a charge?

Years back it was said if you needed to store a battery for a long time you should totally charge it and then drain off all the fluid. (not something I would consider doing.) A modern battery should just be bench charged maybe twice a year and used with a modern caravan charger the rest of the year.

I purchased a 110 APH recently and as part of the warranty it was said a periodic bench charge was neccessary. It was fully charged by the dealer and tested before sale at the counter in the shop. A printout was produced showing the battery condition. The warrenty had to be signed by the customer before the sale was made.

I would think a check of your new battery with a Multimeter would show a voltage of 12. 7 volts. If this was less I would charge it. If it is 12. 7volts or more then leave it until you need it.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. Internet connected via 3 dongle Windows 7. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine.

LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,.Reich Move Control. Safefill Fitted. ,CT. Ninja (Hon) Flies the flag. Tyron Bands

Not Much Money but we do see life. Motto . Carpe Diem .

Archived