Sign in to follow this  
Dorchester

"alde" Heating System - Am I Missing Something?

I am pleased to report that my family had its maiden trip in our new Sterling Elite Explorer (2011) over the Christmas period for 8 nights at the Sheepcote Valley site in Brighton. On the second night the temperature was down to -10oC & the Alde Heating in our new van was just simply amazing. My wife loves the heat but even she asked me to turn the temperature down inside the caravan because it was so hot. I had it on 2kw & once up to temperature there is no looking back. The washroom was even hotter if you left the slide door closed so coming out of the shower was an absolute dream. I never use the system on gas when on an electric hook up site but know it heats the van up quicker as I have tried it before. It is just nice that you can feel that heat where ever you are in the van.

Patrick the 'Silverfox'B)

I am pleased to report that my family had its maiden trip in our new Sterling Elite Explorer (2011) over the Christmas period for 8 nights at the Sheepcote Valley site in Brighton. On the second night the temperature was down to -10oC & the Alde Heating in our new van was just simply amazing. My wife loves the heat but even she asked me to turn the temperature down inside the caravan because it was so hot. I had it on 2kw & once up to temperature there is no looking back. The washroom was even hotter if you left the slide door closed so coming out of the shower was an absolute dream. I never use the system on gas when on an electric hook up site but know it heats the van up quicker as I have tried it before. It is just nice that you can feel that heat where ever you are in the van.

Patrick the 'Silverfox'B)

Good to hear you are impressed with the heating.

What we like is the feeling of all round heat and no cold spots. We were away over New Year snd the temperatures were not as low as you experienced and the van was so cosy.

We're on our 2nd caravan with Alde heating both Fleetwood 640ES-6's 1st an 03 and our present 08 model, over a 4 year period. One thing I will say is we'll never have anything but, we use the caravan all year round mainly on rallies without EHU and have never had a problem. One of the questions asked regarding the Alde system is "can you boost the temp in the bathroom?" My reply is, why would you want to when the whole of the caravan is at the same temp ?

Can any one help us with a picture of the overload system as said below???? Hamy -- 2005 Fleetwood Heritage owner fitted with Alde 3000 heater and Danfoss TP 5000 controller.

There are other options such as gas / electric 1K, 2K or both selection, as well as a useful AMP setting (15A down to 6A or less) to ensure you don't overload your EHU supply ( when running the Hairdryer smile.gif lol)

I don't have Alde heating at the moment, but my next van almost certainly will, but could I ask/suggest a couple of things?

Currently, my options are the Crusader Cyclone and the Delta TI and although I haven't yet seen either, looking at pictures there appears to be radiators either side of the bed in the Cyclone, whereas in the TI there appears to be a grid/grill at the bottom of the wall opposite the bed and also in the bathroom below the heated towel rail. So are some manufacturers using radiators and others something else.

Also, I thought, rightly or wrongly, that the water and heating systems were integrated but according to the Lunar spec the TI has a Truma water heating system, so is this another difference?

Finally, re the apparent inability to adjust the Alde heating in different parts of the caravan, it's not unusual in a domestic central heating system to have different sizes of radiators in different sized rooms, so is it possible that the outlets in the Alde system are varied to suit the size of area they are heating? It wouldn't adjust the temperature as such but it would mean that the temperature from one end of the van to the other is the same, which in a long twin-axle has to be a real benefit!

The heating and hot water in the Delta Ti are powered from the same unit. The boiler heats up the central heating fluid within the boiler and conductivity passes this to the domestic hot water. The radiator in the bathroom does heat it up slightly warmer than the main living area if you close the sliding door. The heating in the bedroom section is the vents at the foot of the bed in the wall and also one under the bed headboard, but as this heat passes up the wall does not get uncomfortably warm in bed. . Only downfall of the Ti is the fixed bed, not very much room to pass to access the bathroom, but hey we live with it.

Heat up times are hard to calculate, it does take a couple of hours to get the WHOLE van comfy when you start of at minus temperatures, but a 2kw fan initially for 20 minutes does the trick.

Edited by Brocher12

Edited by spaniard

Why would you choose to have a "wet" system in a recreational caravan?

Wet system problems are well known so why saddle yourself with all that hassle?

I speak from no knowledge of caravan wet systems whatsoever but decades of struggling with unreliable domestic systems.

Just read the threads from users of wet systems and their complex problems.

You have so many well known sources

Pump

Programmer

Air locks

Fluid-needs seasonal attention

Boiler I assume the dreaded combi

Just to name a few.

As against my crude tried and tested Truma warm air system a heating element a simple gas plenum chamber and a fan.

I expect the "wet" fans will put me right!

Well my van is now coming up to 3 years old and has not given any trouble whatsoever. I have had caravans consistently for over 30 years and this is the first one with a "wet" system. I can only speak from personal experience but it is infinity better and more controllable than any blown air system and I will never go back

Why would you choose to have a "wet" system in a recreational caravan?

Wet system problems are well known so why saddle yourself with all that hassle?

I speak from no knowledge of caravan wet systems whatsoever but decades of struggling with unreliable domestic systems.

Just read the threads from users of wet systems and their complex problems.

You have so many well known sources

Pump

Programmer

Air locks

Fluid-needs seasonal attention

Boiler I assume the dreaded combi

Just to name a few.

As against my crude tried and tested Truma warm air system a heating element a simple gas plenum chamber and a fan.

I expect the "wet" fans will put me right!

"Wet fan" heating. Now there's an idea. ..............:)

This thread has reminded me to dump the wet radiator system I have in my house and install a blown warm air system instead :rolleyes: .

Installing blown air heating in your house.

Our caravan Swift Challenger 540 is smaller than our main room--it is a matchbox!!

Our house is a 1970s bungalow very spread out with 4 bedrooms a big tiled en suite and a big tiled bathroom and big conservatory.

You are not going to heat that with blown air!!

Back to caravans in my opinion based on caravanning in Scotland a £16 fan heater kept out 92 Elddis Typhoon warm 24/7.

The blown air in the swift is OK the fan noise is quiet it is simple and easy to repair-you could say its rather crude but it does its job.

I do realise wet systems have their supporters!

There is a lot of money at stake!!

I have been taken to task on my views on over complicated expensive heating systems for RV caravans before on this forum.

Given the vested interests and the money involved I expect it to happen again!

However I repeat read the threads on wet systems before you jump in the deep end!!

We had a blown air heating system in our first house - it kept the place reasonably warm but the dust & dirt that got spread around was amazing. It had a filter which had to be washed monthly but it did make the atmosphere very dry and dusty. I wouldn't have another one. We've got a wet underfloor system now and it's superb, definitely the way to go.

We've got an Alde system in our present van and I would have one in preference to blown air, it's controllable and keeps the van warm and cosy.

The Truma 3100 heater with the blower we had in previous vans was OK but I suspect that a full blown air system like the Whale or the latest Truma would be too noisy for me - we had a Propex gas one (similar to the Whale) in our boat and it was quite noisy.

Edited by matelodave

Like yourself we had a blown air heating system in our previous 4 bedroom house.

The house was new in the 80s designed to be heated by blown air-gas fired.

The two storey house was never cold in winter.

The heating fan was quiet we did clean the filters occasionally.

It gave us no bother in the 3 years we had it.

We have lived in our present house for 30 years.

In that time it has had 2 new wet boilers umpteen pumps and umpteen motorised valves-at its worst we were getting 18 months to a Danfoss.

Now we are on a state of the art sealed system.

Only 2 years old and it has had several visits.

At present it is air locking and kettling despite being told by the "experts" "this will cure it" ohhhhh yeaa!

I do notice similarities in domestic and caravan wet heating systems--when they go wrong they take a long time a lot of stress and money to get repaired!

Amazing how many of you claim to have tried both systems yet how many of you know the new systems do not have a fire and ARE programmable.

My truma blown air has no fire, so extra cupboard like the Alde, and it's programmable with a digital control, so you can set it to come on just before you wakeup, assuming you know how to set the timer lol. And it's relatively quiet. And it's got a boost for the water, not that you need it. Please don't slag off the old truma job that has given us caravanners years of sterling service. The new ones are like chalk and cheese compared with the old ones.

It's only fair to compare similar products because I suspect hardly any of you have tried the new combi boiler from Trauma. I have, I haven't tried the Alde because I have to consider the weight and i don't like unnecessary expense of changing the antifreeze.

Can't believe how many of you have the heating on during the night. So unhealthy and bad for the planet.

Going now before I get booted off :-)

Hi

I have always had Truma blown air in my past motorhomes. Forgot the number of broken down Combi 6 boilers (horrendous) but let's talk about the system. I liked the functionality of it, for example, closing vents in one area and having them more open in another.

The first van we had had the older style Truma Combi C6002 EH - the larger upright fitted and we never had a mechanical issue with it.

Now the Alde - yes it is a lot slower to warm up and heavier, but as a motorhome, both do not matter. We can have the Alde on, via our heat exchanger, so we heat the van when we are driving. This also gives us a boiler full of hot water too for when we arrive at destination, or a lunch stop to wash up etc. The timer is useful too to set the heating at a certain time. There are other good features on the programmer too, such as a cooler night setting and then a hotter temperature from a pre set time.

I think the Alde would be a deal clincher if I buy another van.

Russell