Overwinter

stu-v

I Bought one of those cheap thermostatic fan heaters and left it set to come on just above freezing. ....and although it s not a damp van by any means it keeps it suprisingly dry and warm. ........I will certainly be using it again next winter. ...I have it powered up on a timer so its only on about 2x 1 hour. ..plus it keeps the battery charged up. ...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest john1215
Always assuming the van is stored near to somewhere to plug in the electric string!

3103[/snapback]

I was just thinking how it keeps the battery charged up!!

john1215

john1215

6820[/snapback]

Must have a wind generator powered by the fan heater. :lol:

Seriously though,one of my neighbours keeps his van at the side of his garage and does exactly the same thing,except his battery is charged by the mains,through a transformer/rectifier.

Sorry,

Frank

I Bought one of those cheap thermostatic fan heaters and left it set to come on just above freezing. ....and although it s not a damp van by any means it keeps it suprisingly dry and warm. ........I will certainly be using it again next winter. ...I have it powered up on a timer so its only on about 2x 1 hour. ..plus it keeps the battery charged up. ...

2216[/snapback]

stu-v I am a new member (please see my first post Elddis firestorm 534) and have considered buying one of these heaters, does your heater show a frost stat Setting?

All I need to do now is dig up the drive to lay a mains cable, did'nt think to do it when we had the tarmac laid did I-stupid or what?

thanks keith

Guest mr_sheens

its not adviseable to use a heater whilst a caravan is in storage. this is because warming the caravan up will create condensation, which in itself is another problem. heating the caravan does not keep the caravan dry, if a seal starts to leak on the caravan, no amount of heat inside will avoid damaging the wallboard.

if you use a heater, whilst in storage, all the moisture which is held in the carpet, cushions and curtains is reheated and the moisture put back into the air of the caravan. the best thing to do is to air the caravan regularly to let fresh air circulate around the caravan.

its not adviseable to use a heater whilst a caravan is in storage. this is because warming the caravan up will create condensation, which in itself is another problem. heating the caravan does not keep the caravan dry, if a seal starts to leak on the caravan, no amount of heat inside will avoid damaging the wallboard.

if you use a heater, whilst in storage, all the moisture which is held in the carpet, cushions and curtains is reheated and the moisture put back into the air of the caravan. the best thing to do is to air the caravan regularly to let fresh air circulate around the caravan.

8918[/snapback]

Well, there's something else to think about.

thanks mr sheens

keith

john1215

6820[/snapback]

I assume that the heater is on a frost-stat (thermostat) whilst the 240V feed to the caravan is timed to come on for an hour (twice) a day, thus topping up the battery charge.

We do a similar thing using the 240V installed heater when our caravan is parked at home.

8918[/snapback]

This isn't a problem provided the caravan is in constant use. Ours is, since I work shifts and regularly sleep in the caravan at home when I'm rostered nights. (much quieter than trying to sleep in the house when the schools turn out!)

Regards,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Guest john1215
. Ours is, since I work shifts and regularly sleep in the caravan at home when I'm rostered nights. (much quieter than trying to sleep in the house when the schools turn out!)

Regards,

Gordon.

9350[/snapback]

When I worked shifts I had no trouble sleeping kids or not but now I'm off shifts, a good nights sleep is a luxury, UNLESS I'm in the van.

john1215

I assume that the heater is on a frost-stat (thermostat) whilst the 240V feed to the caravan is timed to come on for an hour (twice) a day, thus topping up the battery charge.

We do a similar thing using the 240V installed heater when our caravan is parked at home. This isn't a problem provided the caravan is in constant use. Ours is, since I work shifts and regularly sleep in the caravan at home when I'm rostered nights. (much quieter than trying to sleep in the house when the schools turn out!)

Regards,

Gordon.

9350[/snapback]

Thanks Gordon, your welcome to the night shift.

thanks keith

• 2 weeks later...

8918[/snapback]

What about a dehumidifier Mr Sheens? Obviously if there is a leak it would be no good but would it help through the winter?

Cheers

8918[/snapback]

What about a dehumidifier Mr Sheens? Obviously if there is a leak it would be no good but would it help through the winter?

Cheers