Swift Challenger 2005

egcc

Hi all, just wondering if anybody owns a 2005 swift challenger 550LSE, if so have you found any problems. We pick ours up in may.

We owned a 2004 model but unfortunately returned it Nov 04 because of so many faults. .. but we were offered a 2005 model as a replacement, we agreed as the layout suited us best. .. hope we don't face the same problems with this one.

Have a 2003 challenger 490 ( is up for sale) and we are very pleased with it, and so happy with it when we decided to move to a bigger van we chose swift again (charisma 590).

I read the feedback where there are unhappy swift owners and wonder what the future will hold for us, but at the moment I have complete faith in the product and our dealer and trust it will continue.

I say this because there has been some negative feedback and I wanted to say something positive I hope your new van will be the same

Regards

colinp

Have a 2003 challenger 490 ( is up for sale) and we are very pleased with it, and so happy with it when we decided to move to a bigger van we chose swift again (charisma 590).

I read the feedback where there are unhappy swift owners and wonder what the future will hold for us, but at the moment I have complete faith in the product and our dealer and trust it will continue.

I say this because there has been some negative feedback and I wanted to say something positive I hope your new van will be the same

Regards

colinp

2276[/snapback]

Hi colin 222,

Before we bought the challenger we had a second hand corniche and we could not fault it, it was a brilliant van, thus why we chose to upgrade to a larger swift van and buy a brand new model with a fixed bed, great layout which suited our family, hopefully our first experience of buying new was a one off, happy caravanning :)

egcc.

Guest john1215

Here is some encouragement,

We have had 4 Challengers on the trot, a 440SE, 520SE, 530SE ad a 480 SE. I never had a minutes trouble with any of them at least for the first 5 years.

The 520SE developed a leak over the front n/s corner which I caused myself being overzealous cleaning the gunge after a winter lay up.

I've got a Lunar now though cos it was cheaper than a new equivalent size Challenger and it has a fixed bed.

I wouldn't hesit6ate to recommend Challengers to anyone based on my experiences.

john1215

Hi john,

Your comments fill me with hope, Because i am a fan of the Challenger, with my last van the problems lay with poor workmanship. . shelves fitted badly, fixtures falling apart, windows out off line etc,I had 22+ faults in all. ... but thats the past i just hope again it was a one off. .. I believe i was sold a demo model as it was built sept 03 and i purchased the same in june 04 ( Brand new) and i know now, that model was unavailable at the time of me purchasing june 5th . . i was originally told i would have to wait till sept-Dec 04 for the next available van . . so when i was told one was available on 16th june 04 i was jumping for joy. :D then :blink:, :( then :o . lol

The replacement van is being built may 05 and i will take it home after the pdi a few days later. ;)

rgs egcc

My neighbour has had several Challengers over the last 10 years,he used to change car and van on alternate years. :blink: He has picked up his 2005 model in the past few weeks and is very pleased with it. We have a Sterling Europa (same stable) and can't fault it. I hope that I can still say this in years to come. :)

Frank

Hi all, just wondering if anybody owns a 2005 swift challenger 550LSE, if so have you found any problems. We pick ours up in may.

We owned a 2004 model but unfortunately returned it Nov 04 because of so many faults. .. but we were offered a 2005 model as a replacement, we agreed as the layout suited us best. .. hope we don't face the same problems with this one.

2213[/snapback]

We have a swift utopia 550 which is a challenger but built for the main dealers Broad lane leisure it has a lot of extras we are very pleased with it as I always hated having to make the bed up, when it was that time of night now it is like being at home come back after a long strenuous walk from the club and fall into bed no nagging help me set the bed up Brilliant but everyone to there own taste plus the other good thing is the separate shower away from the toilet. Hope your 2005 model is as good as you hope Good Luck I am sure it will be :lol::D:)

Guest john1215

After reading some posts on the old board mainly about poor workmanship on various models of van I have to count myself as very lucky. I can only imagine my feelings if I were to purchase a van with lots and lots of major and minor faults. I have been fortunate indeed as there have been many many postings about seriously inferior workmanship that if I was a newcomer to shedding I may have been put off.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't tell us about their horror stories, don't think that - but the question I would like to ask is, are there more people who have good vans from new as opposed to the number of people who have had poor vans from new.

Admin - would be possible to have some sort off poll to see what the figures are like, I have no real reason for asking just curiousity really. Just concerning new vans.

john1215

After reading some posts on the old board mainly about poor workmanship on various models of van I have to count myself as very lucky. I can only imagine my feelings if I were to purchase a van with lots and lots of major and minor faults. I have been fortunate indeed as there have been many many postings about seriously inferior workmanship that if I was a newcomer to shedding I may have been put off.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't tell us about their horror stories, don't think that - but the question I would like to ask is, are there more people who have good vans from new as opposed to the number of people who have had poor vans from new.

Admin - would be possible to have some sort off poll to see what the figures are like, I have no real reason for asking just curiousity really. Just concerning new vans.

john1215

2424[/snapback]

I think it is like the old saying a bad word goes round faster than a good one

Went to the Manchester G-mex caravan show 20th jan, main aim to check over the new challenger 550L, the drinks bar door still scrapes against the skylight fittings when opened fully, reported the problem to the swift rep but he said it was a design fault and would report it, i myself tried the same last year i emailed swift just after purchasing our new challenger 2004 but they didnt find it a problem.

I think i will adapt something to ressolve the problem myself. <_<

Guest john1215
I think it is like the old saying a bad word goes round faster than a good one

2479[/snapback]

That is a very true saying and it goes for most products. How many of us actually take the time to contact a company and tell them that their product performed brilliantly, I and I would assume most people are quick to point out a products failings.

john1215

I understand no product is trouble free, I was at the gmex and shown the swift rep the drinks door, he saw how it scrapes along the skylight fittings, he was puzzled and said its a design fault,(protential customers noticed the same) it was the same on the 2004 model so why would swift decide to add the same fault on the new 2005 model, i guess to fix this fault the unit would have to be dropped, but that would mean Swift altering shelves below it and that means ££££££s.

swift are aware it is a problem in the 550L model and thats about it.

On my last van all the front windows were out of line and needed a new front panel - i'd only had it a week, I would be the first to congradulate swift but they have not been very helpful. Only with the help of the cc legal team was i offered a replacement. I just hope i don't have 22+ faults with the new one, this year i'd prefer to use it for holidays and not driving back and to- to service. Again i hope i was just unlucky.

• 3 months later...

[Hello Dave Have you got your new caravan yet?

we are still fighting the dealer ( since July 05 ) the new front panel had 4 cracks when I collected it 20 miles away it now has 10 slight cracks and one mayjor one and a lot of stains from the sealer plus poor joints on the window rubbers

Have engaged a assessor today he was horrified by the dealers attempted replacement panel he addvised us to go to court and not use the caravan

all the best Howard in Rutland

[Hello Dave Have you got your new caravan yet?

we are still fighting the dealer ( since July 05 ) the new front panel had 4 cracks when I collected it 20 miles away it now has 10 slight cracks and one mayjor one and a lot of stains from the sealer plus poor joints on the window rubbers

Have engaged a assessor today he was horrified by the dealers attempted replacement panel he addvised us to go to court and not use the caravan

all the best Howard in Rutland

23812[/snapback]

Hi howard, hope you got my Message, the van was due this may but i contacted swift and they are now saying june, my dealer didn't know about the delay :o .

I've informed them so they are upto date now. ... what's goin on. ..

Apparently if my dealer asks swift for a urgent delivery i still might get the van in may. ..... i'm confused does a magician work for swift. .( wonder what paul daniels thinks of their service !!nnnoooott a lot!! ) lol

• 3 weeks later...

went to view our replacement van yesterday which was ordered in nov 04, the van was full of mud and bird c. .p presentation nil,, the curtains fully open, the seating cushions upside down,a note of winter storage instructions displayed in the window, the van to car electric points were corroded green/rusty colour, as if it had been sat outside for months, the dealer told me it was built in may05 but had no paperwork to prove with them on the day so i contacted the manufacturer with the vin no when i got home - they told me they don't hold any record of the vans date of build . .. which i find very strange it was suppose to have been built in may 05, surely they must. obviously i rejected the van and was assured i will recieve a new build in june05 and i should be able to view approx 1 week after it leaves the factory. im my opinion the van they offered had been stood for a few months, but without dealer/manufacturer offering no help i can't prove this. .. things only seem to get stranger. :angry: I thought a new build for a customer would be delivered direct to the customers dealer, this wasn't my dealer got it from one of their other branches. :blink:

went to view our replacement van yesterday which was ordered in nov 04, the van was full of mud and bird c. .p presentation nil,, the curtains fully open, the seating cushions upside down,a note of winter storage instructions displayed in the window, the van to car electric points were corroded green/rusty colour, as if it had been sat outside for months, the dealer told me it was built in may05 but had no paperwork to prove with them on the  day so  i contacted the manufacturer with the vin no when i got home -  they told me they don't hold any record of the vans date of build . .. which i find very strange it was suppose to have been built in may 05, surely they must. obviously i rejected the van and was assured i will recieve a new build in june05 and i should be able to view approx 1 week after it leaves the factory. im my opinion the van they offered had been stood for a few months, but without dealer/manufacturer offering no help i can't prove this. .. things only seem to get stranger. :angry: I thought a new build for a customer would be delivered direct to the customers dealer, this wasn't my dealer got it from one of their other branches. :blink:

25798[/snapback]

See my reply in the other thread - BUT from what you say here it sounds as though the dealership was trying a 'fob-off' exercise and now that I can see it is a Swift group van I can only emphasise what I said in the other post - the safety papers are dated and signed at the time of build and inspection.

[]

Hello Dave,

Howard Davis here, Just read your message you must be very very angry!!!!!!!!!!

After many letters to the dealers and Swift re Cracks in the front panel ( one repair unsucssefull and one replacement front end which now has 11 cracks & poor joints to awning rails and window rubbers ) we had had the caravan inspected by a assessor his verdict a "very poor repair which will cost £2480. 00 to put right I. E another new front end panel" we have aranged a inspection at the dealers with the Swift engineer / the dealers Directors/ and ourselves and the assessor for the 22nd May now moved to the 26th but they can not give us a time !!!

we have been advised to go to the county court if we do not recive a replacement or our money back on the day.

It is now 10 months we have fighting this dealer who has not once replied to the replacement or money back question,

I think it is about time we were on the watchdog prog on TV or something

Howard in Rutland near GRANTHAM

Thanks ted/howard for your reply, it is obvious they were trying to fob me off, unfortunately for them customers are not as stupid as they must think we are, i'd like to know why they do these things :blink: unfortunately they are and seem obliviuos to the inconvenience it has on their customer/s, they have had nearly £15k of mine in their bank account, 12 months worth of interest this june and they treat me like this :angry: after sales service. ..don't exist :( just hope they get it right in june.

rgs Dave ;)

p. s watchdog ermmmm sounds good <_<

[Hello Dave,]

Howard here we had the meeting to day at the caravan co at Grantham the Swiift Engneer failed to turn up so we carried on without him after 1 1/2 hrs the director would not agree to a replacement caravan so we told him that this was his last chance before we go to court he whent of to make a phone call the said " I will accept your caravan in part exchange at the value you paid for it against any caravan on the site,

he did not have the one we wanted so he has given us a letter say he will get us a replacement but he can not say when it will be !!!!!!!!!

He also staed that all caravans have faults we should know that

same boat as you Dave,

[Hello Dave,]

Howard here we had the meeting to day at the caravan co at Grantham the Swiift Engneer failed to turn up so we carried on without him after     1 1/2 hrs the director would not agree to a replacement caravan  so we told him that this was his last chance before we go to court he whent of to make a phone call the said " I will accept your caravan in part exchange at the value you paid for it against any caravan on the site,

he did not have the one we wanted so he has given us a letter say he will get us a replacement but he can not say when it will be !!!!!!!!!

He also staed that all caravans have faults we should know that

same boat as you Dave,

26546[/snapback]

Hi Howard, Typical we had an invisible engineer aswell :angry: I'm glad you have finally got a result, which i hope you are satisfied with. .... or at least its progress in the right direction. .... as for the replacement i'd want to know if it is weeks, months or next year,....And also if the words WITHOUT PREDJUDICE appears on the letter given by the dealer -basically means the contents within the letter cannot stand in a court of law- So be aware. Hope it goes well and hope to hear your vanning very soon ;) .

rgs Dave

Just dipped into this thread. How stressful for you.

As regards the letter - how much use would that be if he went out of business? You need to be clear in that respect.

I am sorry, but the contents of the letter just sound terribly limp and airy fairy to me, with the promise of a replacement and as to when that will be, very open ended.

Also, what about your consumer rights? Maybe longer the dispute goes on, the less consumer rights you may have?

Good luck.

Hello Cara,

I think we were lucky to get a letter out of the dealer, I have a friend who is a Q. C. who has been given me advice, ie make sure he is not a man of straw.

so you clik on companies house as he is a ltd company they give you the info balance sheet / list of directors / and who has the shares and how many,

the trading standards were very helpful the caravan pannel was not fit for the purpose intended ? not of mercantable quality,

The fault devlops in the first six months, do not accept a repair on any new article

The dealers / manufacturers do not hold any stock of caravans or spare parts &

12 weeks deliver on panels is normal,

The dealer is going to get us a replacement caravan as soon as he can as it took him 10 months to address the crack problem I do not expect any thing to happen

till October when his trade is slack so we will continue to use the Caravan with the cracks clearly marked with back felt tip pen,

All the best Howard

Howard,

Why should you wait until business is slack? You may not be the dealers main priority - but you are your main priority! The only criteria for your replacement should be logistics - not a case of his business being slack!

Personally, I would set a time limit on this. I would find out what is a reasonable time in which a replacement could be supplied and set a deadline. Confirm your replacement is on order.

Dare I say, this arrangement sounds far too casual and casual arrangements are liable to disappoint.

regards

Cara