Sign in to follow this  
Twiggy1953

From Innsbruck To Krun Via B177

We are coming up from Italy (Lake Garda) to Camping Tennsee( C&CC book) via Innsbruck. I have looked at maps, books and google earth and yet I am still not sure if it is possible to take a caravan from Innsbruck up the B177 to Krun. The Michelin route finder takes you off at Exit 87 on A12 and straight up the B177 to Mittenwald (or down) to Krun. Has anyone does this route recently and can state definitely that it is do-able. I should say that I did input Car & caravan in the route finder, but as it also takes us from our house down a very narrow lane, which we'd never use while towing, I'm not sure I entirely trust it to be accurate. It seems like it would be a long way round if we can't use the B177, but I have already booked the site. Please can someone clarify it for me.

In the absence of a knowledgeable response on here. .. why not contact the campsite and ask them if it recommended or feasible?

HTH

G.

Edited by chapmag

The road from Innsbruck to Seefeld is very steep in places. I don't think its the fact that a modern car won't tow up such a route but its the risk of being bulked by another very slow moving vehicle.

David

Image from Google Earth

post-151-073747300 1289487325_thumb.jpg

We are coming up from Italy (Lake Garda) to Camping Tennsee( C&CC book) via Innsbruck. I have looked at maps, books and google earth and yet I am still not sure if it is possible to take a caravan from Innsbruck up the B177 to Krun. The Michelin route finder takes you off at Exit 87 on A12 and straight up the B177 to Mittenwald (or down) to Krun. Has anyone does this route recently and can state definitely that it is do-able. I should say that I did input Car & caravan in the route finder, but as it also takes us from our house down a very narrow lane, which we'd never use while towing, I'm not sure I entirely trust it to be accurate. It seems like it would be a long way round if we can't use the B177, but I have already booked the site. Please can someone clarify it for me.

Are you asking if caravans are prohibited? I have done Garmisch to Innsbruck via Krun. Providing you are confident on mountain passes the gradients will cause no problem for a well matched outfit.

Are you asking if caravans are prohibited? I have done Garmisch to Innsbruck via Krun. Providing you are confident on mountain passes the gradients will cause no problem for a well matched outfit.

Yes I guess I am asking if caravans are prohibited. In the Caravan Club Europe 2 book (2009) in the Mountain passes section, for Zirler Berg (Seefeld to Zirl), it says Caravans not permitted northbound and not recommended southbound. As we will be coming from Innsbruck direction (northbound), I don't want to get to the turn off on the A12 and find we can't use it. Its a long way round from there to get back to Krun to the campsite, which will only be a stopover of two days on the way to Rudesheim. I have booked the site, but not yet paid so if its going to be a problem I may have to rethink my route. Having said that the site does sound lovely and I'd hate to change it.

Yes I guess I am asking if caravans are prohibited. In the Caravan Club Europe 2 book (2009) in the Mountain passes section, for Zirler Berg (Seefeld to Zirl), it says Caravans not permitted northbound and not recommended southbound. As we will be coming from Innsbruck direction (northbound), I don't want to get to the turn off on the A12 and find we can't use it. Its a long way round from there to get back to Krun to the campsite, which will only be a stopover of two days on the way to Rudesheim. I have booked the site, but not yet paid so if its going to be a problem I may have to rethink my route. Having said that the site does sound lovely and I'd hate to change it.

Caravans are now prohibited on the B177 at Zirl (Zirlerberg) following a major accident in 2006. Apparently the signage is not good as it gives very little advance warning. You should make more enquiries.

Probably much better to use the 179 Fern Pass (not so good if you get behind slow moving lorries) or E60 and across the Austrian/German boarder near Lindau on the Bodensee. That's the route I am taking next year from Innsbruck back up through Germany.

Alan

Yes, I can confirm that this road is prohibited for trailers over 750kg, you only get the information when you see the sign down the coast... and this one is not mentioned on most detailed maps.

catuno: I think that you must be confused.  I towed from Mittenwald to Innsbruck at the end of April this year and came back that way in June going to and from Italy via the Brenner Pass.  I never saw any signs saying that caravans were banned and with my Toyota Estate 2.2 D towing a Burstner caravan around 1350 kg, I had absolutely no problem.  Yes it is a hairpin descent going towards Innsbruck and I dropped down a gear and it was fine and the car towed easily back up.  The road surface is excellent, the corners are nicely balanced and the hairpins are not at all tight.  I think there has been major improvements in recent years and the discussion above is 9 years old.

Where is the coast that you mention as this is hundreds of miles inland?

This is an old topic.  I asked about this route on the forum before I went and received assurances that it was OK and my subsequent experience showed that it was.  There are videos on UTube showing the road from motorhomers.