Tow Car On Budget

Tigerdoom2

Hi Guys. .do any of you have a suggestion for a good towcar, I have budget of £3k tops (having just spent all my money on new van!). At present I have 1994 Mitsubishi Spacewagon Petrol 2. 0 GLXi which tows our van Bailey Ranger 550/6 no problem.

Unfortunately it drinks the petrol like it was going out of fashion. Have decided to change it for a family estate with diesel engine. ..do any of you have suggestion on what my £3k can buy me?..any help would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

Tigerdoom

A Vaixhall Omega is an excellent towcar,good weight,rear wheel drive. They are also usually high spec. If you can pick one up with the BMW diesel engine all the better. Omegas have very high depreciation from new,so make for shrewd second hand buy. :)

Frank

Frank

It might be worth looking at Citroen Xantia estates with the 110hp HDi engine which with their suspension makes it a good tug and economical. You should find quite a selection around your price range. Another alternative might be the Ford Mondeo estate with a diesel engine.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Frank

It might be worth looking at Citroen Xantia estates with the 110hp HDi engine which with their suspension makes it a good tug and economical. You should find quite a selection around your price range. Another alternative might be the Ford Mondeo estate with a diesel engine.

David

2178[/snapback]

Xantia will do the biz and you will have change from your 3K

xantias are nice but lots to go wrong and they do at some cost clutches regular and the suspention a nightmare the engines are spot on plenty of power but i would be weary

xantias are nice but lots to go wrong and they do at some cost clutches regular and the suspention a nightmare the engines are spot on plenty of power but i would be weary

3011[/snapback]

"xantias are nice" - not sure about that one ;)

"but loads go wrong" - not right! mines a peach and has never given me any silly electrical faults :)

"clutches regular" - wrong! mines on 120k with the original clutch in it. :P

"and the suspention a nightmare" - no problems with mine, at all. <_<

"the engines are spot on" - Not so! My head gasket just split. Costing over £600 to have it fixed :(

"plenty of power" - Well. ................................I tow with my Discovery!

"but I would be weary" - I would too! 2k will buy you a lot of Xantia but be careful. Like all cars, some will be good and some will be not so good. Generally, mines been a good 'un but it's 8 year old now and it shows.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Craig.

xantias are fine i had 1 myself but i know lots of people that wish thy had not later low milers are ok dont go for a old 1 with lots of miles

Citreon have always been innovative,unfortunately they have not always been known for longevity and reliability due to their many unusual design features,in particular the suspension systems. The benefit of the Omega is, it will tow just about anything, within reason and is conventional and near enough bullet proof, even with high miles. Mondeos are also excellent towcars and affordable. :)

Frank

As a Xantia owner for three years and a Citroen owner for twelve years I find them excelent towcars

Regarding the suspension, same as Rolls Royce, if serviced as it should be people would not have problems It's like the shock absorbers on a steel sprung car,if they are not replaced when worn out, you will have problems

At least with the Xantia you dont have to worry about spring assisters

Hi tiger doom-we have a 1998 s reg 2. 5 omega auto saloon it is a perfect tow car and at the same time very comfortable with all the goodies onboard, ours is a cdx model alot of car, air con, traction contol, loads more, good second hand buys.

• 2 months later...
Hi tiger doom-we have a 1998 s reg 2. 5 omega auto saloon it is a perfect tow car and at the same time very comfortable with all the goodies onboard,  ours is a cdx model alot of car, air con, traction contol, loads more, good second hand buys.

3363[/snapback]

Hi Tigerdoom2

A few more towcars worth thinking about - Volvo 850TDi, 940, 960, V70 [petrol]

Renault Laguna 2. 2TDi, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Volkswagen Diesels. Don't be afraid of high mileage on these quality cars - IF car has FSH.

Go into the Auto Trader website and stipulate Min./Max. Price - any make - any model - you will be amazed at what is available.

I would endorse all the previous recs. but have no experience of Citroen.

Good luck, Mike :)

Hi How do you get on with your autobox cooling? I have a 3 litre granada which i intend to tow with, i will fit an additional oil cooler for the transmision does the Omega cope without one?

DB

18159[/snapback]

I have been driving vauxhalls for a few years now and towed with them all from a carlton 2. 0 manual to omega automatics, i have had no problems whats so ever.

I have just bought a Omega 2001 V6 2. 6 auto saloon, again because of their towability,kerbweight, comfortable gadget filled car and again a great secondhand buy.

Hope you find the right car.

try this site its a forum which covers all makes of car with members ready to answer all mechanical/tech questions you may have.

http://www. preloved. co. uk ;) Dave

I agree with Dave & Frank. I tow with a 2. 5V6 auto Omega and it's no problem at all. Acording to the figures i tow at 90% but it's more like 85% or less as the 'van is never loaded to the full. I was contemplating changing to a TerranoII but it would cost me double for the same year car & I'm not sure what I would gain?

Guest Lenny

Ive ran both Omegas and Xantias. Xantias are basically Peugeot 406's with different panels, and the hydro suspension. For your money you would get a later Xantia with the active 2 suspension. Absolutely unbeatable at towing.

But. .............. if i had to choose from all for that money, Omega everytime. The traffic police voted them their fav all time car, for good reason. very comfortable, smooth, loaded with goodies and as capable a towcar as you could want. The Xantias are light, and the only plus on the xantia i found was the suspension. I always got cramp from thre xantia after a long drive,but never the omega.

My opinion would be omega. Cheap to run, fix (especially if your a bit handy with spanners and a hammer), good solid reliable motors.