Older Drivers.

Bobby Brocklebank

It's probably like making love. Past a certain age, you still like to do it, but you probably think you're doing it better than you actually are!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone see the news about the old fella that drove onto the station platform at Esher this weekend. After attempting to turn around at the other end of the platform got stuck. Just imagine the disaster it would have caused if his car had have been struck by a 90mph train! A very good friend of mine was the first on the scene and another friend who s also train driver past it while its was all still happening. Made my blood run cold just thinking about the consequences that could have resulted.  

Esher Train Station

It's probably like making love. Past a certain age, you still like to do it, but you probably think you're doing it better than you actually are!

Speak for yourself ! ;)

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Did anyone see the news about the old fella that drove onto the station platform at Esher this weekend. After attempting to turn around at the other end of the platform got stuck. Just imagine the disaster it would have caused if his car had have been struck by a 90mph train! A very good friend of mine was the first on the scene and another friend who s also train driver past it while its was all still happening. Made my blood run cold just thinking about the consequences that could have resulted.

Esher Train Station

Did you see the young lad on Emmerdale crash onto the railway lines last night

And it was on national TV

Its not just in fiction that young drivers have accidents as well as older ones

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Maybe you will point me towards this report. The IAM report I read would seem to contradict the point. It said, "The data, published by the IAM, explodes the myth that older drivers are the real road menace. Analysis of seven years of crash data reveals that drivers over the age of 70 were involved in only 4 per cent of crashes that caused injury. ...."

Hi John,

Came up on Google when I was doing my research under IAM. Must admit I seem to be ruffling the Old guard feathers with this Thread. Anyway who is Russ Abbott ? Was he one of those old fashioned singers from the music hall days ?? :P Drive safe now !;)

SMEESH. ................

Ace Jubilee Statesman . .......... Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE. .................

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Hi John,

Came up on Google when I was doing my research under IAM. Must admit I seem to be ruffling the Old guard feathers with this Thread. Anyway who is Russ Abbott ? Was he one of those old fashioned singers from the music hall days ?? :P Drive safe now !;)

SMEESH. ................

Ace Jubilee Statesman . .......... Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE. .................

Is that what you set out to do?

Sad

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Emmerdale, 'Fiction'?? Looks like grandpa Watsons lost the plot again, come on dear back on the bus.   :lol:

One in five young drivers aged 17 to 20 are not insured!

I'm not surprised with young mens' premiums being what they are. Recently one of my mates on a motor forum was asking for advice about insurance for his 17 year old. He'd bought him an old Vauxhall Astra and premium quotes were coming in at around £2000 for the year.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I'm not surprised with young mens' premiums being what they are. Recently one of my mates on a motor forum was asking for advice about insurance for his 17 year old. He'd bought him an old Vauxhall Astra and premium quotes were coming in at around £2000 for the year.

BUT surely the level of premiums imposed by the insurance underwriter is a carefully calculated and true reflection of the increased risk that a young driver presents, based on previous claims experience?

Is that what you set out to do?

Sad

Certainly not John, just having a healthy debate. It was you Who had a dig at my Nationality ! Whose being sad ? Again another healthy debate being ruined by personal comment.

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

BUT surely the level of premiums imposed by the insurance underwriter is a carefully calculated

I'm sure they are. Their statistics show that one in every five young guys will write off their car in their first eighteen months of driving. And since they usually like to have a carload of their mates with them, each and every one of them has a claim to make even if it's only whiplash - genuine or not!!!!

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

So? Does that some how make him age differently?

Broke both his legs walking into a lift that wasn't there!

doesn't say much about his eyesight or hazard perception does it?

I drive my Mum around Southport every Wednesday its got to be the only town twinned with EXIT the Suicide lobby,

drivers wont pull out because they can't see you when you get into visual range, thet pull out because their speed awareness is shot, the pederstians are even worse they wait like lemmings on the pavement until the trafic lights change to green and then try to run across the road. They have made it all the way to retirement and can't wait a couple of minutes for the crossing to turn in their favour what is it with these people even my mum who is well into retirement has taken to berating these ambulance jockeys

last wednesday we came across granny taking out the grandkids and trying to run across the road, this whilst waiting on a crossing with the red man showing, and traffic passing left and right at 30mph.

I know how much independance means to people, Ilive in the sticks and have lost my liecence due to medical reasons on a number of occasions but I know its for the safety of the other people on the road, I could never forgive myself if I injured someone through my own selfish actions.

I was driven by a 72 year old along narrow Suffolk countryside lanes yesterday. (I aged 5 years just as his passenger. :rolleyes: )

On 4 occasions he did not see approaching cars till the last minute. Nothing to do with controlling the car (thankfully his reaction speed was adequate to avoid collisions on each occasion) but becasue he wasnt 'as aware' as I was of the 'bend beyond the next bend'. Not having driven with him before I cannot say if he has always been like that, whether it was age deteoration, or the fact he has recently lost his wife and is emotionally stressed, or the fact he had an accident in Austria earlier this year that he admits "knocked his confidence". But the fact was that although his reactions were ok, his general awareness of other drivers was less than perfect. Whatever the reason he wasnt concentrating IMHO.

Which of course raises the question of how many accidents are caused by pure 'youth' or 'old age'... as opposed to a momentary emotional, physical or mental incapacity. ..ie a momentary lapse.

I recall 20 years ago at 11pm in the rain leaving a hospital where my wife was recovering from an 9hour brain tumour operation the outcome of which was as yet uncertain. I drove right across a roundabout, harvesting the flowerbeds in my front grill. I completely 'missed' the road signs, white lines or the bl**ding great grassy mound despite having travelled that same road dozens of times before. Emerging from the other side unscathed I just pulled over and burst into tears. After a period to recover my composure I continued my drive home more aware.

We all make bad driving mistakes due to bad days - we shouldnt be too quick to generalise it all into 'young tearaways' or 'old fogies'.

We all make bad driving mistakes due to bad days - we shouldnt be too quick to generalise it all into 'young tearaways' or 'old fogies'.

Try telling that to the insurance companies with their damn statistics

:D :D :D

Emmerdale, 'Fiction'?? Looks like grandpa Watsons lost the plot again, come on dear back on the bus. :lol:

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: . .................;)

Try telling that to the insurance companies with their damn statistics

Its not the insurance companies making the generalisations in this discussion. ;)

Erm Sterling Moss was a professional racing driver

Didn't he also fall into a lift shaft recently because the door opened and he walked in without checking the lift was actually there?

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

Well if you think 80yo's on the road are a danger, just have a quick thought about the future retirement age, we have th every real prospect of 75yo's driving trains!! 

Also can someone tell me why its somehow socially acceptable to discriminate against young people? Jobs, Insurance etc. .. And don't give me the statistics ca*p. I could go on Google right now and pretty much prove aliens exist. Never have so many people been so selective about what they believe.  

Certainly not John, just having a healthy debate. It was you Who had a dig at my Nationality ! Whose being sad ? Again another healthy debate being ruined by personal comment.

Wouldn't waste ya breath Smeesh, there seems to be a very small minority on here who only have a sense of humour when it suits them. You cant possibly have a different view, how dare you! (lol)

God forbid you ask a question in order to learn about a certain issue!  Have you seem my thread regarding Personalized number plates? Christ, i might as well have broken in their house on Christmas day and pee'd on their Christmas tree!  :rolleyes: