Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy Auld Smeesh

Older Drivers.

The proof is from the insurance company statistics

Which is why my insurance gets cheaper as I get older!

It may seem ageist but where does it stop, some one has to take the decision.

So you have elected yourself as arbiter!

I am 41 BTW

I probably wont be around when you get to my age - but I will look down (or up) to see if you are still of the same opinion!

Insurance also gets expensive when you get over a certain age as my dad who is 80 keeps telling me they load him due to his age as he is deemed a high risk because of it

And as for being an arbiter, remember your licence expires when you are 70 and you have to renew if you wish to keep driving

Edited by Rickardo

Should ban drivers when they reach 80 as reaction times will have slowed with age

Thank you for that! I'm 81 in two months. The IAM is currently processing my application for their test. I'll let you know how I get on. Who knows! Maybe we might even get to compare notes.

Insurance also gets expensive when you get over a certain age as my dad who is 80 keeps telling me they load him due to his age as he is deemed a high risk because of it

And as for being an arbiter, remember your licence expires when you are 70 and you have to renew if you wish to keep driving

Yep I am aware - just in the process of doing second 70 plus renewal - passed medical with flying colours! OK so there is no reaction test BUT I didn't have any problems last month whilst in Germany on a rally nor when we were doing the Nurburgring! BUT it wasn't the 70 plus that you were talking about BUT a total ban at 80 - perhaps you would like have us "put down" completely sad.gif

Thank you for that! I'm 81 in two months. The IAM is currently processing my application for their test. I'll let you know how I get on. Who knows! Maybe we might even get to compare notes.

If they turned round and said that considered you unfit to driver would you appeal or accept their decision

Perhaps if youngsters, under 42, drove with more care and consideration for older drivers, they [older drivers] wouldn’t need faster reactions. biggrin.gif

If they turned round and said that considered you unfit to driver would you appeal or accept their decision

The IAM doesn't apply arbitary rules, thankfully. They'll carry out an assessment drive with the applicant and propose an appropriate training programme, or not in rare cases, regardless of age!

Elderly drivers with the motivation to do the IAM test are probably more able drivers than youngsters who can't be bothered.

I'm all for improving driving standards by making the driving test harder and introducing periodic retests - but the same standard should be applied across all age groups.

Should ban drivers when they reach 80 as reaction times will have slowed with age

Give them free bus and train passes

As in most cases this only applies to the younger person who makes comments like that and I can certainly tell you that when you are approaching old age your opinion will change because you will need transport more than ever, i have a bus pass and I can tell you I get seriously peed off waiting in the cold for a bus that does,nt turn up, the time is coming soon when a lot of people will have to be removed from the roads to make way for all the youngsters who expect a car on their seventeenth birthday so the govenment will pobably intoduce lots of measures to take a large proportion of elderly drivers from the roads, they are making a good start with me, price of fuel, road tax,e. t. c.

My reaction times are as good as they were thirty years ago and when I think of the way i used to drive thirty years ago they needed to be good, my mother would,nt get in a car with me driving when i was a young man but i hope i now drive sensibly and to my ability, i wewr glasses now for everything and although I could probably get home in a emergency i certainly would,nt even think about driving without them, i can remember a optician who had just given me an eye test many years ago telling me that anyone who is over forty and does,t need glasses is either very lucky or a liar, there, lets make it compusory for every one born before 1970 to have a compusory eye test ???

Rod.

Hi,

Back in the real World I repeat that my experience is that there are far more younger people involved in serious accidents than older people. In fact the last collision involving a driver over the pension age occured after a long flight from America and he got into his car to drive home having had more than enough alcohol, so I don't think that that incident can be regarded as age related,

Regards,

Ian.

I hope they do no such thing. I’m already booked to drive 1400 miles down to Gibraltar in just seven weeks time………………. But seriously - would you or anyone else submit for a test or examination where they were not confident of putting up a reasonable performance.

Regarding some of your later comments in this topic you say “It’s a well known fact the older you get the more your reaction times slow down” Sometimes - Maybe. But you’re assuming that in the young adult group, reaction time is equally endowed to all at 100%. It isn’t. Some young people start out with a slower reaction time than that of some drivers who are now 60 year olds.

And you say, “Insurance also gets expensive when you get over a certain age”. Sorry, but I disagree again. It all depends on your previous driving record. I have two cars insured. One has fully comp cover to drive in the EU for 180 days, and because it’s top of the range, that costs me £382 and our second vehicle is a modest £213. On the other hand, one of my mates on a motor forum is a youngster with his 1. 1 Saxo. He’s having difficulty getting third party insurance for less than £1400. His car is worth around 300 quid. What the statistics do not show is that the older age groups have more accidents or that older drivers as a group are penalised. What they do show is that one in three young male drivers will write off a car in their first year of driving. They also show that a quarter of convictions for causing death by dangerous driving are for drivers under the age of 20,

Me thinks you do not have any great regard for the older age group.

I'm fascinated with the debate on reaction times of older people. Some people are born with slower reflexes, some people are born with poor fine and gross motor skills, (not a pun) but we can't all have the natural reflexes of Lewis Hamilton. As long as reaction times are acceptable for safe driving then that is good enough, otherwise many young people would never even get a licence. Normality covers a huge range of natural ability, so why should we pander to an 'elite' whose reactions are some tenths of a second faster than others. It's already been said, good driving is about good judgement.

Tougher testing, regular testing and tougher eye sight controls may well be in order, but the reaction time debate covers young and old alike. The fact remains that the majority of us have (by definition) average reaction times, including the boy racers who think they should be in F1.

Gordon

I think that we should be more concerned with drivers of all ages whose IQ is less than their BHP or maybe shoe size in some cases :blink:

I think that we should be more concerned with drivers of all ages whose IQ is less than their BHP or maybe shoe size in some cases :blink:

Show size is important - judging by some examples one sees it is in their shoes that they keep their brains :P

compulsory retirement from driving at 80. ..hmmm, so we all get a free bus pass and train tickets in this brave new world. ..sounds reasonable. ..but I have yet to see a train tow a caravan onto a site and reverse it onto a pitch!!! :)

Guest vpd091148

I'm not sure that an automatic ban is called for - but some maybe some speed limiter or even a dead mans handle similar to trains should be fitted as standard in all motor vehicles - so that should the driver suffer a heart attach at the wheel his vehicle brakes safely.

This sounds daft or even extreme.

Well in my neck of the woods there have been some tragic accidents were innocent people have been killed by very old drivers dying at the wheel and their car careering out of control across roads etc.

Edited by vpd091148

I'm not sure that an automatic ban is called for - but some maybe some speed limiter or even a dead mans handle similar to trains should be fitted as standard in all motor vehicles - so that should the driver suffer a heart attach at the wheel his vehicle brakes safely.

This sounds daft or even extreme.

Well in my neck of the woods there have been some tragic accidents were innocent people have been killed by very old drivers dying at the wheel and their car careering out of control across roads etc.

In our area there have been many more because young drivers started out alive at the wheel

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

Hi,

I was thinking about this subject and I wonder if anybody can tell me why our local Fire Service, and others, has an initiative called 'Learn to Live' which as aimed at young drivers, why is it not aimed at older drivers if it is them that's the problem?

Regards,

Ian.

Guest vpd091148

from observation of older couples there is usually a driver passenger telling the driver what speed to drive at where to go and generally observing hazards etc plus the actual driver who just has to aim etc. So two heads are better than one - were as with the young they have to do all the driving themselves and hence need much more training.

from observation of older couples there is usually a driver passenger telling the driver what speed to drive at where to go and generally observing hazards etc plus the actual driver who just has to aim etc. So two heads are better than one - were as with the young they have to do all the driving themselves and hence need much more training.

But how many of these is because the passenger can see but not drive and the driver can drive but no see!!!

But how many of these is because the passenger can see but not drive and the driver can drive but no see!!!

You know that is true

My wife's uncle used to drive and his wife used to navigate some years ago

They never had an accident and never went out without a wee dram

They are now both at rest and the roads are safer

Its strange how things come to your notice at the same time

I had phone call from a friend yesterday about his 87 year old father as he has been told not to drive by the GP without his glasses and not to drive after having had a drink

He passes our house every time he goes and and since the phone call I have seen him without the glasses and with them while driving

but with them involved looking over the top of them

Dementure, driving,poor eyesight and a motor vehicle are a bad recipe especially if each day starts with a whisky

My sister(66) was also on the phone today and has eyesight problems due to diabetes

She hasn't driven for a couple of years so decided to have some lessons before resuming

After 2 lessons she told the instructor she couldn't see very well and the number plate test proved this as she could only read it at half the distance required

She has now given up the idea of driving again

2 completely different attitudes:rolleyes:

Hi,

Back in the real World I repeat that my experience is that there are far more younger people involved in serious accidents than older people. In fact the last collision involving a driver over the pension age occured after a long flight from America and he got into his car to drive home having had more than enough alcohol, so I don't think that that incident can be regarded as age related,

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian

Been off line for a wee while due to household I. T. problems. Seems my initial Thread has been turned into a Young Drivers v Old Drivers and I find this Boys Brigade cavalier attitude rather disapointing when there is clear evidence that older drivers are a danger to themselves and other road users. My initial Thread was only stating that there will be a very large increase in older drivers simply becouse we are living to grand old ages. The Institute for Advanced Motorist recently carried out a survey and found out the over 70's have more and very seriouse accidents per mile than any other sector of the population. Just recently in Caithness 3 elderly people where killed on a unmanned level crossing. On investigation it was found out that the driver of the vehicle had sub-standard eye sight. The Institute are trying to propose a new class of licence which would enable older drivers to maintain there mobability and independence while protecting from roads with a 70mph speed limit. Good idea but will most probably be met with deaf ears. :D Have ma van at the front door. Getting her ship shape for a wee tour of the highlands for 5 days starting at Burnree then heading towards Elgin picking up the Whiskey Trail. Check out of the Autumn colours. ...............

SMEESH. ..............

Ace Jubilee Statesman Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE. ...............

The Institute for Advanced Motorist recently carried out a survey and found out the over 70's have more and very seriouse accidents per mile than any other sector of the population.

Maybe you will point me towards this report. The IAM report I read would seem to contradict the point. It said, "The data, published by the IAM, explodes the myth that older drivers are the real road menace. Analysis of seven years of crash data reveals that drivers over the age of 70 were involved in only 4 per cent of crashes that caused injury. ...."

Maybe you will point me towards this report. The IAM report I read would seem to contradict the point. It said, "The data, published by the IAM, explodes the myth that older drivers are the real road menace. Analysis of seven years of crash data reveals that drivers over the age of 70 were involved in only 4 per cent of crashes that caused injury. ...."

Insurance companies would tend to disagree on older drivers being more accident prone if premiums are anything to go by compared with what the want from new drivers

Hi Ian

Been off line for a wee while due to household I. T. problems. Seems my initial Thread has been turned into a Young Drivers v Old Drivers and I find this Boys Brigade cavalier attitude rather disapointing when there is clear evidence that older drivers are a danger to themselves and other road users. My initial Thread was only stating that there will be a very large increase in older drivers simply becouse we are living to grand old ages. The Institute for Advanced Motorist recently carried out a survey and found out the over 70's have more and very seriouse accidents per mile than any other sector of the population. Just recently in Caithness 3 elderly people where killed on a unmanned level crossing. On investigation it was found out that the driver of the vehicle had sub-standard eye sight. The Institute are trying to propose a new class of licence which would enable older drivers to maintain there mobability and independence while protecting from roads with a 70mph speed limit. Good idea but will most probably be met with deaf ears. :D Have ma van at the front door. Getting her ship shape for a wee tour of the highlands for 5 days starting at Burnree then heading towards Elgin picking up the Whiskey Trail. Check out of the Autumn colours. ...............

SMEESH. ..............

I remember Russ Abbot doing a sketch that ended with the punchline

Too much premature ejockulationB)

Does it add validity to the point or is it one wee dram too far that loses credibility for any age:(

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

Hi Ian

SMEESH. ..............

Hi Smeesh,

Just by googling I found totally conflicting reports/studies on this issue which is worrying. I can only talk of real world experience which, to be fair, may be more or less reliable though my last station used to do about 3500 shouts per year which involved a lot of collisions which is the basis for my thoughts.

By the way I used to like you 'til you mentioned the Whiskey trail now I am jealous so clear off and enjoy yourself :D,

Good tasting,

Ian.

Regards,

Ian.

Sign in to follow this