Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy Auld Smeesh

Older Drivers.

Watched the News this morning and had a Topic on Senior Drivers. I was astonished to find out that older drivers are 3 times more likely to kill themselves due to Senior Driving Moments than a 21 year old boy racer. Plus there will be up to 7 to 8 million over 70 year old drivers on the roads in the next 10 years to the 3 million at present. S. A. S. (Sudden Accelerator Syndrome) being a key cause of many accidents resulting in death. Failing Eye sight was another issue with 3 in 10 senior drivers not informing DVLA so as to keep there independence. I can see a re-sit in the future looming. Here's me hoping to Tow into might Twilight years. unsure.gif Maybe not !!!sad.gif

SMEESH. ..........

Ace Jubilee Statesman . .......... Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE . .............

I've always considered it mad that we can pass a test at 17 and then be judged fit to drive for the rest of our lives.

I think that some form of ongoing training should be designed into the system. Not necessarily a retest, but an eyetest, brushing up skills, pointing out bad habits and informing of new laws. Perhaps a couple of hours every 2-3 years.

As a qualified accountant, I have to do annual top-up training, or I can be fined and/or struck off. My accounting won't kill anyone, but my driving could!

Old-age drivers are safer than boy racers, says study by Institute of Advanced Motorists

It all depends where you read and how up to date your eye test isrolleyes.gif

I have mine tested every year

This article seems to say exactly the opposite to the one posted

http://www. timesonli. ..icle6991775. ece

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

Although most people think their driving ability improves, I have no doubt looking at what I see everyday, that although some aspects may improve, others definitely get worse.

Regardless of age or driver profile, we all make mistakes, some can see their mistakes others cannot.

Perhaps some form of driver assessment would be a good idea, perhaps 2 years after passing your test, then every 10 years until say 50 then every 5? If the assessment gave written recommendations, you can improve your driving standard, if there are safety issues, then you could be given 6 months to improve and resit, or lose your licence.

Old-age drivers are safer than boy racers, says study by Institute of Advanced Motorists

It all depends where you read and how up to date your eye test isrolleyes.gif

I have mine tested every year

This article seems to say exactly the opposite to the one posted

http://www. timesonli. ..icle6991775. ece

the article seems to present a balanced and fair assesment of driveing at different ages.

peter.

A simple extension of the D4 Medical to all drivers over a certain age would help to show up any medical problems - however the authorities will not do that because then there would be a huge number of people demanding that the medical was done free of charge, or at least at a special HM government set price instead of the present "doctor charge what you like" situation.

The D4 medical for over 70s is required if you wish to keep your C1 or D1 rights and the doctors fee can vary from around £45 to £130 for exactly the same thing!

Plus I agree that a medical should be compulsory every 10 years along with a refresher course, not a retest but to include an accompanied drive for observations of ones driving, and this should be for everyone once they have gained a driving license. Obviously the "OBSERVER" must have the powers to recommend a retest if they feel a persons driving is well below an acceptable level or at least retraining and another drive.

There are clearly some dangerous drivers out there who drive aggressively, those drivers would probably be able to change their attitude for an observation drive, and pass, as they already know their day to day driving is aggressive and deliberate.

In my opinion the most dangerous is the gradual deterioration in someones ability which is difficult to see for themselves.

Watched the News this morning and had a Topic on Senior Drivers. I was astonished to find out that older drivers are 3 times more likely to kill themselves due to Senior Driving Moments than a 21 year old boy racer. Plus there will be up to 7 to 8 million over 70 year old drivers on the roads in the next 10 years to the 3 million at present. S. A. S. (Sudden Accelerator Syndrome) being a key cause of many accidents resulting in death. unsure.gif

SMEESH. ..........

Hi Smeesh,

The wording you use is precise. The key words seem to be 'kill themselves' rather than have an accident/ cause a collision/ seriously injure themselves and so on. Insurance underwriters know full well where they are likely to be paying out money and charge accordingly, and it's young, male drivers they hit.

I suppose young, fit drivers are also more likely to recover from traumatic injury than old codgers with age related health problems, hence the phrase 'kill themselves'. Just a guess.

I'm assuming Sudden Accelerator Syndrome refers to hitting the wrong pedal?

Gordon

I think ALL drivers should re-sit the driving test every 5 years and have a regular medical assessment.

Older drivers get lower insurance premiums than boy-racers for a very good reason, statistically we're safer - insurers have ALL the figures, not just a sample.

Driving ability isn't all about reaction times - it's mainly about good judgement.

Guest 4591tim

I think ALL drivers should re-sit the driving test every 5 years and have a regular medical assessment.

Older drivers get lower insurance premiums than boy-racers for a very good reason, statistically we're safer - insurers have ALL the figures, not just a sample.

Driving ability isn't all about reaction times - it's mainly about good judgement.

I agree . ..I have re-sat my advanced driving test 3 times since passing at 18. ..my choice. ..compulsion is NOT a good thing. ....You do seem to have missed a significant point that with age comes experience. ....You cannot buy that !!

Cheers tim

There are clearly some dangerous drivers out there who drive aggressively, those drivers would probably be able to change their attitude for an observation drive, and pass, as they already know their day to day driving is aggressive and deliberate.

Unfortunately no form of "test" or "observation" is going to detect these attitudes - just better policing by REAL police rather than cameras.

Watched the News this morning and had a Topic on Senior Drivers. Failing Eye sight was another issue with 3 in 10 senior drivers not informing DVLA so as to keep there independence. I can see a re-sit in the future looming. Here's me hoping to Tow into might Twilight years. Maybe not !!!

Ths is probaly a classic example LINK

GPS

I've always considered it mad that we can pass a test at 17 and then be judged fit to drive for the rest of our lives.

I think that some form of ongoing training should be designed into the system. Not necessarily a retest, but an eyetest, brushing up skills, pointing out bad habits and informing of new laws. Perhaps a couple of hours every 2-3 years.

As a qualified accountant, I have to do annual top-up training, or I can be fined and/or struck off. My accounting won't kill anyone, but my driving could!

A very good point? How many people would get on an aircraft if they knew the pilot had not had a medical, or had his ability to fly assessed since he was awarded hs pilots licence 25 years ago.

A pilot starts off on a slower single engined aircraft, then as they progress onto faster twin engined and then jet engined aircraft their ability is re assessed, yet you can pass your driving test and then without any kind of supervision or even orientation training, go out and drive a Ferrari.

You might say the pilot has the potential to cause the death of a lot of people, but how may people could die or be injured as a result of an untrained/unfit driver travelling the wrong way down a motorway.

GPS

Ths is probaly a classic example LINK

GPS

Cases like that come up every few years - but cases of youngsters killing themselves or others come up most days.

I am always surprised when older drivers confide in having eyesight problems,

many can read the number plate, but closer cannot judge distances well at all.

One driver even admitted to serious tunnel vision, in his one good eye!

All these people seem to have good to very good towing skills, it is only their

eyesight that needs compulsory re-testing annualy and a pass to allow them to continue

I am always surprised when older drivers confide in having eyesight problems,

many can read the number plate, but closer cannot judge distances well at all.

One driver even admitted to serious tunnel vision, in his one good eye!

All these people seem to have good to very good towing skills, it is only their

eyesight that needs compulsory re-testing annualy and a pass to allow them to continue

Everyone should have their eyes tested every two years or more often, nothing to do with driving, and the appropriate correction will give more than adequate driving vision for everyone except those with a very serious condition who will be told not to drive.

The problem is vanity - many don't want to wear spectacles or contact lenses so don't even have their eyes tested.

In theory, uncorrected eyesight problems should affect under-60s more as the over-60s get free eye tests.

Hi Smeesh,

I suppose young, fit drivers are also more likely to recover from traumatic injury than old codgers with age related health problems, hence the phrase 'kill themselves'. Just a guess.

I'm assuming Sudden Accelerator Syndrome refers to hitting the wrong pedal?

Gordon

Correct. Especially on automatic vehicles. The basis of the discusion was bringing in safety measures to stop the rise in these incidents. Police and Motoring Associations were all in agreement. I think there is a Documentary on the telly tonight.

SMEESH. .........

Ace Jubilee Statesman . ..... Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE, ,

Everyone should have their eyes tested every two years or more often, nothing to do with driving, and the appropriate correction will give more than adequate driving vision for everyone except those with a very serious condition who will be told not to drive.

The problem is vanity - many don't want to wear spectacles or contact lenses so don't even have their eyes tested.

In theory, uncorrected eyesight problems should affect under-60s more as the over-60s get free eye tests.

this is quite true. i started wearing glasses in my late thirties. i had been haveing trouble with things like ceefax on the tv and small jobs at work or reading newsprint. when i got my first glasses i was gobsmacked the difference in my vision was incredible. wearing glasses has never bothered me one bit ever since. the problem is most people dont concider they need glasses and so dont bother with an eye test. vanity can play a big part in this. like everything else your eyes wear out and your focus becomes affected.

peter.

Hi Roger,

I personally think reaction time is paramount as part of Safe Driving Ability. My concern is the stubborn who know they are not fit to drive due to poor health and eye sight. We have all been stuck behind the immaculate Nissan Micra being driven by a wee old lady or man to be politically correct with her/his driving gloves on doing 20mph on a Dual Carriageway. Dangerous !!! unsure.gif

Ace Jubilee Statesman . ........ Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE . ........

I totally agree with so many of you, a thorough re-test and thorough medical every 5 years.

Over here in France I have to have a medical on an annual basis for one category of my French driving licence and every 2nd year for others.

And with regards to the cost, why the hell should it be supplied by the state?

Hi Roger,

I personally think reaction time is paramount as part of Safe Driving Ability. My concern is the stubborn who know they are not fit to drive due to poor health and eye sight. We have all been stuck behind the immaculate Nissan Micra being driven by a wee old lady or man to be politically correct with her/his driving gloves on doing 20mph on a Dual Carriageway. Dangerous !!! unsure.gif

Ace Jubilee Statesman . ........ Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE . ........

Actually not that dangerous if you stayed behind them! What is dangerous is the effect it has on the people behind them who get frustrated and annoyed at being held up and overtake when it is dangerous to do so. It may be (is) infuriating and frustrating but it is not dangerous.

I work as a nurse, and many years ago worked nights on a surgical ward. There was a patient on the ward who experienced what is commonly referred to as "sunset dementia", confusion brought on by disorientation during the night - surprisingly common, and such patients can be extremely orientated & lucid during the day.

A few weeks after this gentleman was discharged, I ran into him (well, he nearly ran into me) as he pulled out of a side road in front of me as I made my way to work! I can't remember how old he was at that point, but he was quite elderly, 70+ for sure.

The item on BBC Breakfast made me remeber the old joke "I've been driving for XX years, and never had an accident, just seen plenty behind me. ..."

As an aside, apparently Katy Price/Jordan is also on Traffic cops tonight when she gets stopped for an illegal number plate, and is also found to have no car insurance! Worth watching for that humour alone!!!!

Actually not that dangerous if you stayed behind them! What is dangerous is the effect it has on the people behind them who get frustrated and annoyed at being held up and overtake when it is dangerous to do so. It may be (is) infuriating and frustrating but it is not dangerous.

Hi Fleetgold,

Think you may have misunderstood my Thread. On a single carriage road I agree it is frustrating being held up but on a Dual Carriageway were you can have a maximum speed limit of up to 70mph witnessing an old person driving effectively a slow moving vehicle now that is dangerous !

SMEESH. ..........

Ace Jubilee Statesman . ........ Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE. ..........

I totally agree with so many of you, a thorough re-test and thorough medical every 5 years.

Over here in France I have to have a medical on an annual basis for one category of my French driving licence and every 2nd year for others.

And with regards to the cost, why the hell should it be supplied by the state?

Good point - however if it is a "state" requirement they should see that there is a general consensus over price and not the ludicrous situation we have in the UK at present where, as I said earlier, the medical for the D4 can cost anything from £45 to £130 depending on if you are lucky enough to have an HGV medical centre nearby or have to use your own GP.

Another point relating to older drivers is that by implication of the license renewal requirements we 70 plus divers are OK, medically speaking, with a tug and trailer weighing in at (theoretically) 7 tonnes BUT if we want to drive a motorhome of 3. 6 tonnes then we have to have a medical and supply the Form D4 duly completed by a doctor - where please is the logic in that! laugh.gif

Sign in to follow this