Sign in to follow this  
aquila

Caravan Fridge Seal

. ..or, is it possible to get replacement rubber seals for caravan fridges? bear in mind I would suspect the fridge is from 1982, it's an Electrolux as so many such fridges are. .. if seals are available are they easy to fit?! Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I noticed this last few days that my fridge seal is shot and the fridge is working overtime, and freezing everything as a result!

. ..or, is it possible to get replacement rubber seals for caravan fridges? bear in mind I would suspect the fridge is from 1982, it's an Electrolux as so many such fridges are. .. if seals are available are they easy to fit?! Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I noticed this last few days that my fridge seal is shot and the fridge is working overtime, and freezing everything as a result!

Not sure how easy they are to fit but they are available for the domestic style fridges here

http://www. espares. co. uk/parts/fridges-and-freezers/seals/electrolux/p/1548/15

sure if the model isn't on there site an email with the model no / size they would possibly have something to fit

good hunting

Dave

Replacement seals are not available for most fridges, except some of the new 7 and 8 series.

The only way of replacing the seal on your fridge is to fit a new door, if available.

How about some self adhesive foam draught excluder? Will not look pretty but will do the job.

Regards

Chris.

How about some self adhesive foam draught excluder? Will not look pretty but will do the job.

Regards

Chris.

Now there is a thought. .. thanks for that suggestion. And to all other replies too. .. I have done some googling and guessed that it might be a tricky thing to get a replacement seal. ... replacing the door is an idea too. .. will put some more thought to it. .. or just grovel to my mum and see if I can have the fridge from the van she is now going to be breaking soon. ..!!!

It won't do the job - the fridge seal has a built-in magnetic strip to hold the door shut and make a continuous seal. Whilst you can keep the fridge shut with the travel lock, I doubt you'll get a decent seal all the way around with insulation strips.

When we bought our caravan we didn't notice that the bottom seal of the fridge door was damaged (chewed off by previous owners dog we think!)

We ended up buying a new door - can't remember how much it cost but it wasn't cheap - more than £100.

see if you can match anything via these people . ...... very helpful

http://www. sealsdire. ..tDepartmentId=8

Thanks for all your replies. .. I have one possible option that came up today, a friend has a slightly older van than mine, and has a non-working fridge which I think is similar, if not the same, model to mine. She has said I can have the door - we could do a swap, she only uses the fridge as an additional storage space, so whether her door seals isnt an issue. If that doesn't work (her seal is marginally better than mine, but not by much) I think that I may be seeking a replacement fridge. .. someway down the line as cant even contemplate that yet. ..

Seals direct is a great co - I used them for my replacement window rubber - top service from them, they sent not only one sample but 2 cos what I had worked out should have fitted ended up not fitting, so the 2nd set of samples was just the ticket to help me make sure I ordered the right one! Doesn't look likely that they have any seals that would work on a fridge though.

Also, I was looking at the fridge in my mum's old van yesterday, and I dont think that the fridge is constructed in such a way that the seal could be replaced. .. might explain why they appear to be impossible to get hold of.