Sign in to follow this  
alecsmart

Fridge On Gas

Hi,

We were camping on a small site this week-end with no hook up so ran the fridge on gas. It was quite windy and gusty on Saturday and we had problems with the fridge flame getting blown out. Would stay lit for anything from 10 seconds to 10 minutes! Is this usual in windy conditions? Never had a problem with stand alone 3 way fridge unit or fridge in folding camper. Once the wind died down the fridge was fine. Do you think that vent covers should be used in windy conditions? I would add that we had a porch awning up with one of the sides meeting the van near the vents. Maybe this had a funnelling effect (The vents were outside the awning)

Any opinions?

Martin

dont profess to know a lot about this, but I would think that the vents would help. I will be putting ours on now that the nights are drawing in a bit.

If your van has the fridge vents facing the wind, and it is a strong or gusty wind, then you almost certainly will have issues with the flame being blown out.

With a porch awning right next to the vent as well, it will create eddies and a very disturbed air flow.

The answer is twofold, either turn the van so the vents are on the leeward side, or fit the winter covers .

I would say that it is probably telling you that the fridge burner is getting blocked and a fridge service is in order. If its a Thetford fridge and over 5 years old, then it will probably have the old steel burner, which rusts after a time. These have subsequently been changed to stainless steel.

We're also thinking our fridge is ready for a service its a Dometic RM 4270, although it lights easy it takes forever before it will stay lit, maybe its just some dust etc around the thermocouple

Thanks for replies so far. The 'van is only 18 months old but I did wonder if the flame was not burning correctly in order for it to be blown out so easily. As I said its not something I have experienced before. It was a gusty day but I thought that the design of the vents would not have allowed the flame to be blown out. If it's normal for this to happen I'll happily invest in some winter covers, I would have thought these would be called wind covers if they were really necessary. Perhaps something to mention at the next service. Fridge is a Dometic 8550.

Thanks

Martin

Edited by alecsmart