Sign in to follow this  
digga

Am I Going Mad?

I must be off my rocker. .....

But . ..

Does anyone use LED lamps/lights around the periphery of their van?

My wife . ...'thinks' she saw a van with led lights around the awning channel and she wants to replicate (copy!)the effect.

the way it was explained to me was. . 'ropelights fixed to awning filler strip'!! is there such a thing??

Guest mrbloosky

cant help with the kit but a couple of weeks ago at NEB CC there was a van with the outside frame of the awning like a disco ohmy.gif

i keep telling her that she has it wrong and that there are no commercial products that fit the bill and it must have been a diy job . .. ( one that i'm not upto :rolleyes: )

But . ..

My wife . ...'thinks' she saw a van with led lights around the awning channel and she wants to replicate (copy!)the effect.

the way it was explained to me was. . 'ropelights fixed to awning filler strip'!! is there such a thing??

Sorry am I causing trouble again, I have a rope of blue solar lights around my awning front, Tesco special last year £15 for small solar panel on a stake then about 20 blue lights, works when we have some sun!

Terry

I may have misunderstood your description, forgive me if I have, but it's bad enough at Christmas when people try to outdo the neighbours with over the top decorations, but fairy lights all over a caravan . ... please stifle her enthusiasm. (How, is up to you, but I wouldn't go so far as to take her gently by the throat . ..) I do agree with the usefulness of solar LEDs to mark out awning pegs though, and generally they are very subtle and well situated.

Guest mrbloosky

Sorry am I causing trouble again, I have a rope of blue solar lights around my awning front, Tesco special last year £15 for small solar panel on a stake then about 20 blue lights, works when we have some sun!

Terry

Damn you Terry if swmbo sees this I will be DOOMED biggrin.gif

nooo!

must admit, not a fan of these additional lights, kinda spoils the serenity sometimes

Saw a van in Edinburgh a couple of years ago with lights similar to what you describe.

Saw a van in Edinburgh a couple of years ago with lights similar to what you describe.

That was not on the Edinburgh C C site by any chnce?

there was about 5/6 vans last week on ferry meadows with fairy lights going around the top of the awnings,1 or 2 had small lantern types that people usualy have hanging from their gutters at Christmas,was nice to see in the evening walking dog around,but you do get the impression it could lead to mass copy cats on site then the site owners would get cheesed off if they are linked in to the EHU which some of them will be.

That was not on the Edinburgh C C site by any chnce?

Yes for Hogmanay 2008/2009. Would love to go back there :D

This is what mine looks like, but only after a day of sun, so not often!

post-2838-128216779039_thumb.jpg

Terry.

Yes for Hogmanay 2008/2009. Would love to go back there :D

If it was a yellow light it could have been mine. :D.

Edited by oldboy

this is what mine looks like lol

post-34855-128216858484_thumb.jpg

We had a set of B&Q multicoloured LED outside christmas lights all the way round the caravan two christmas's ago at Littlehampton CC site. They were fab. We fixed them to the awning rail with mini bulldog clips bought from Staples office supplies. If I knew how to post a photo I would !

But . ..

My wife clothes pegs a set of external "fairy/garden" lights to the edge of the awning, looks ok and handy to find van when staggering back. The dogs also recognise it at home and are often outside the door before me.

Theyre only 12v so the amperage is negligible. Also a deterrent for snoopers as you dont know if we are in or not

nigel

Got 2 sets of 40 solar one-colour leds for £6. 99 last year. One is in the acer near the back door, the other fitted round the pull-out awning with clothes pegs last year.

In a perverse kinda way, I like them :D

Got 2 sets of 40 solar one-colour leds for £6. 99 last year. One is in the acer near the back door, the other fitted round the pull-out awning with clothes pegs last year.

In a perverse kinda way, I like them :D

Ahaaa Hawk, so you have got a soft side :lol:

Terry

We've got the same ones. I think they are very pretty AND tasteful.

We're only talking about a string of very small blue lights here, not all colours of the rainbow running and flashing like a bad migraine !

I don't see why fairy lights should be just for Christmas ~ I use them on the van on summer evenings at dusk.

They're not bright enough to spoil anyone elses enjoyment of the site.

If they did upset anyone I would turn them off straight away ~ I think they are nice, but not worth falling out over.

Each to their own and let's all enjoy our vanning.

- Wilkie

We were pitched by a couple that arrived after us and put out their awning,

then a pair of windbreaks, then some twee white plastic picket fence and to

cap it all eight or ten mushroom on a stick garden lights.

All it needed was Hansel and Gretel. Evening came the lamps lit and after

a while a Warden called on them and the lights were collected in. What I

could not see was a hanging chain of bright white lights with a running wave

of lights fitted to the outside of the van!

At the SECC show recently in Glasgow there was a company who sold a strip of LED lights that were self adhesive and stuck to the van just below the awning rail. This could be what she spotted. Don't know the details of the company but have to confess was tempted myself. thought it would be a good way of lighting up the awning in the dark evenngs. :rolleyes:

Edited by WendyMc

Hi all

Big mistake, I had to change sites due to my new caravan being too big (by 30 cms) for my old pitch.

On the new site I am on pitch and store until a seasonal pitch is available, well I have a pitch at the moment on the rally field which will be semi-permanent.

So last week out came my little blue lights, this week the nearest seasonal pitch to me has decorated there pitch with lights, looks like Blackpool's golden mile,

trouble is we are not far from RAF Leeming would not want a pilot getting confused with the landing strip of lights.

Terry.