Camping Jungfraublick

This site is in Matten, about 1 mile walk from the town centre of Interlaken.

A small site, but very friendly people ( English spoken but the Oberland area is a German speaking region ) and a mix of mostly British and Dutch holiday makers, many of whom are repeat visitors. The site is quiet and relaxing with spectacular veiws of the Jungfrau and other mountains.

The site is easy to access from the motorway but with little road noise, and the local bus service is FOC. Pitches are mostly on the small size for length so large outfits are limited, and motor homes are catered for.

Elec is only 6A and if the CB trips the owner is needed to reset. Also you have to pay for the showers and hot water for dishwashing, not expensive but means messing about with change which I found a little inconvenient.

There is a small shopping complex with two supermarkets within easy walking distance and the site is served by a small shop also.

A small play area and swimming pool keeps the kids happy, there is only one shower block but this suffices for all as we never had to queue for any facilities. It's an excellent base to explore the area, apart from the mountain trips the two lakes and surrounding towns are also stunning.

Thoroughly recommended.

http://www. jungfraublick. ch/

• 2 months later...

I can only agree with your report.

Florin and Beatrice are very welcoming.

When we stay there, which we have done on many occasions, we never use the car only the bus and trains.

Enjoy yourself, whatever you're doing

RAV4 Pegasus 534

I first met Florin & Beatrice in 1980 when we visited Camping Jungraublik, an excellent site, with a beautiful view along the valley towards the Jungfrau.

Did you know that for many years Florin also represented the Swiss Tourist Board at the NEC caravan shows, where he was a splendid ambassador for his country? He speaks more languages than I've had hot dinners, and could not be more accomodating to his visitors. Anyone visiting can be assured of a very warm welcome in this most picturesque canton in Switzerland. You will not be disappointed!

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

• 4 months later...

This is a very encouraging thread, having seen Interlaken through the caravan club I though it would be good to pay a visit. But as a novice caravanner am finding it slightly daunting for such along trip. Jungfraublick was one of the sites I had in mind to stay at.

We have 3 weeks booked off for Aug this year, and were thinking of a stop over on the way down and again on the way back as Interlaken is a long way with 2 kids. What I am not sure of is how long to book in Interlaken? How much is there to do? Suggestions and advice on planning a trip here will be very much appreciated.

Thanks Martyn.

Edited by msmudge

Lunar Quasar 566, Freelander 2(Auto), 4 Bikes and Sailing Dinghy somewhere in the archives.

What I am not sure of is how long to book in Interlaken? How much is there to do?

Hi Martyn,

However long you book, it won't be long enough! The Bernese Oberland is an area I could go back to time and time again and not tire of it.

Interlaken has a mirriad of "chocolate box" houses, small craft shops, a near perfect public transport system, and with a backdrop of Swiss mountains, who could fail to be impressed? All transport services are timetabled to work together and you can obtain day or week passes valid for them all. So in one day you could start on a bus from Wilderswil (bus stop outside Jungfraublick site), link to a train, then pickup a rack railway, gondelbhan or chairlift to a mountain top. On your return, depending on the time of year you could travel on a horse drawn carrage or sleigh, and maybe finish off with a boat trip across either of the two lakes of Thunersee and Brienzersee that adjoin Interlaken, returning on a high speed contenental train. There are also numerous cycle tracks and footpaths that run independently of the road system, and the jungfraublik site looks directly atc the Jungfrau.

Jungfrau from Wilderswil.jpg

Set above the Lauterbrunnen valley is the nearby village of Mürren, and above, accessed by a four stage cable car, is the Schilthorn with its revolving restaurant, where the "Piz Gloria" scenes were filmed for the 1960's Bond film, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".

Schynige Platte Thumb.jpg

Nearby rising from the adjacent valley is Schynige Platte Railway, and this journey is a "must" if you are in the area as the scenery is out of this world! Take time too to visit Kleine Scheidegg, but I'll leave you to Google the details on that :) . If you decide to visit, providing you budget for the high Swiss prices, I am sure you will not be disappointed with the Interlaken area, and Camping Jungfraublick in particular.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

However long you book, it won't be long enough!

Thanks Gordon, that statement is all I wanted to know. I think a 2 week stay might be on the cards, with a couple of stops on the way down and return. Best get saving the pennies. I cant wait.

Lunar Quasar 566, Freelander 2(Auto), 4 Bikes and Sailing Dinghy somewhere in the archives.

Best get saving the pennies.
You may like to take a look at this site for information on Switzerland and don't forget that you will need a vignette for both the car and caravan if you intend to use the Swiss motorways (and you will because many "ordinary" roads are classed as motorways).

Start saving now, and I'm sure you will return from your holiday with many happy memories.

Have fun,

Gordon.

If you are going to the Interlaken area with children here are some ideas of places we go to when taking girlguides to the area:

we use the Bernese Oberland travel pass - different combinations but we usually buy the 7 day one for a 12 days holiday - 3 days unlimited travel and 4 days at half price but don't have to be taken consecutively.

Ballenberg open air museum, you can get there by taking a ferry from Interlaken and then bus from the dock (more interesting than car!!) -http://www. ballenberg. ch/

Kandersteg, you can get there by train from Interlaken, then take the cable car up the mountain to the summer sledging, great fun for all ages.

Jungfrau - train up through the glacier to do tubing on the snow plus walk through ice caves, expensive but if you use the Bernese Oberland travel pass can be good value and a really good day out, just take stuff to do on the train (UNO is good for this), plus the children can watch their crisp packets blow up with the increased air pressure as the train goes up the mountain.

Trummelback waterfalls - walk through huge tunnels at the side of all the water pouring off the mountains plus bit further down the road, on the other side of the road from the falls, you can climb a rickety (I don't like heights) stairway to amazing ice caves

A superb day out is to the AquaParc at Bouveret on the shores of Lake Geneva, about a 2 hour drive from Interlaken. Brilliant complex with many pools, even a lake side beach, flumes galore, wave pool, childrens pirate ship in the middle of another pool, restaurants etc - always one of our most popular days out.

Web site: http://www. aquaparc. ch/en/attractions-glisse

If your children are adventurous (and 10 ish or older) then the Reharti adventure park just outside Adelboden is worth a trip - abseil 30 feet or more off a bridge, zip wires across a high gorge, great couple of hours of high adventure and very safe. All the people running the place are highly qualified outdoor instructors and are qualified to work with young people. This is the highlight of our girls trip every time.

Basically is is a terrific area for young people - that is why thousands of guides and scouts from all over Europe, USA and Canada stay there every summer.

As many others have said it really

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

• 9 years later...

Following a family discussion last night, I had a look back at this site on google maps.

I'm not sure if still operating, google no longer has it as a pin and no vans are on the site, does anyone have any info?

Google says that site is permanently closed.

But no worries - if you are young and active leave Interlaken for the oldies and go to campsites higher up the valleys - Lauterbrunnen,  Kandersteg and     Grindelwald are all possibilities, which we enioyed when we were young and active. 

If your a petrol head, May bank holiday they hold the biggest Porsche exhibition in Europe in Interlaken, been a couple of times and not only a great event but also a wonderful scenic area, once all the Porsche's have moved on...

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

We had a fabulous fortnight in Interlaken. Biggest benefit was leaving the car on site and using the local travel pass which covered buses, trains, cable cars and boats on the lakes. Loads to do and see. We stayed at the Lazy Rancho site which we found very good. 

• I agree completely 1

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

• 2 months later...

When in this area we stay at the "Manor Farm" site its big but at the end of the season its quiet enough, and a pitch on the lakeside is nice.  As said lots to see, some superb drives, put the car on the train at "Grindelwald" and go through the mountain while sat in your own car, stunning views at the other end.  

On 29/09/2020 at 20:25, compact said:

Interlaken itself, dull dull dull. I nearly forgot expensive dull!

Is the zoo no longer there?  Nice shops, but agree Switzerland was expensive and probably still is, Austria is very nice and was cheaper.