Bailey Build Quality The Facts

There has been a lot of debate about the build quality of vans now being produced by Bailey. There are people who have ordered Baileys and are now quite worried. But is it really that bad. Well leaving aside the question of dents which is a design fault, then frankly it doesn't seem to be a wide spread problem.

Going through the various posts, there are only four people who have had a bad experience. There are at least 9 people who are very happy with their vans. It is inevitable that those who are dissatisfied speak up whilst those who are happy say nothing. So I don't think you can argue that 4 out of every 13 vans are poorly built. If you look at the many many posts made about Bailey build quality they have almost all been made by these four people. They respond to every comment. It is interesting that of those four, one has had a replacement van and another now has all his problems sorted.

A dealer who sells 15 -20 vans a week and has only rejected 2 vans was shouted down because his experience didn't fit with what others wanted to hear so he stopped posting.

Whilst I have every sympathy for those who have had problems and I would feel very upset, we need to keep this thing in perspective. We need to base our view of Bailey's build quality not upon the number of posts made but upon the number of people who are dissatisfied and whose problems are not resolved. In that context it would appear that the chances of getting a bad van are very small and even if you do it will be sorted.

So let's be fair to Bailey. By and large they do seem to build good vans.

I am sure this will provoke some strong reaction. I am not suggesting that those four are not entitled to voice their opinions as they have. All I ask it that everyone forms a view based upon facts not upon how loud people shout.

So if you have ordered a new Bailey, they may not be perfect but be assured it would seem that you are unilikley to get a really bad van.

poolebob.

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a lot of debate about the build quality of vans now being produced by Bailey. There are people who have ordered Baileys and are now quite worried. But is it really that bad. Well leaving aside the question of dents which is a design fault, then frankly it doesn't seem to be a wide spread problem.

Going through the various posts, there are only four people who have had a bad experience. There are at least 9 people who are very happy with their vans. It is inevitable that those who are dissatisfied speak up whilst those who are happy say nothing. So I don't think you can argue that 4 out of every 13 vans are poorly built. If you look at the many many posts made about Bailey build quality they have almost all been made by these four people. They respond to every comment. It is interesting that of those four, one has had a replacement van and another now has all his problems sorted.

A dealer who sells 15 -20 vans a week and has only rejected 2 vans was shouted down because his experience didn't fit with what others wanted to hear so he stopped posting.

Whilst I have every sympathy for those who have had problems and I would feel very upset, we need to keep this thing in perspective. We need to base our view of Bailey's build quality not upon the number of posts made but upon the number of people who are dissatisfied and whose problems are not resolved. In that context it would appear that the chances of getting a bad van are very small and even if you do it will be sorted.

So let's be fair to Bailey. By and large they do seem to build good vans.

I am sure this will provoke some strong reaction. I am not suggesting that those four are not entitled to voice their opinions as they have. All I ask it that everyone forms a view based upon facts not upon how loud people shout.

So if you have ordered a new Bailey, they may not be perfect but be assured it would seem that you are unilikley to get a really bad van.

poolebob.

Sums it up nicely. I think Bailey have brought a lot of the Pegasus criticism on through their own failure to accept and take retrospective action over the dent issues.

Edited by chad

Surely there should be NO bad vans and not a percentage as these vans are made on a production line by the same methods so they should all be right or all wrong . There is no excuse for any faults as a van is susposed to have factory inspections and dealer inspections . I dont think it should be a case of customers being lucky and not having nightmare situations .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Surely there should be NO bad vans and not a percentage as these vans are made on a production line by the same methods so they should all be right or all wrong . There is no excuse for any faults as a van is susposed to have factory inspections and dealer inspections . I dont think it should be a case of customers being lucky and not having nightmare situations .

Dave

i fully agree. the build quality and quality control of the vast majority of vans still falls way short of acceptable. compared to cars building caravans is childs play but they are still turned out of the factory with things loose or falling off either through neglect or pure bad design. the last new van we had came out of the factory with one of the clips holding the inboard water pipes driven right through the water pipe. it was boarded in so by the time we realised it had been leaking for over 12months. it was an easy repair but before hand i photographed it and sent it to the makers (swift).i might have well have sent it to our cat for all the good it did. no sorry but for me this industry has a long way to go on build and service.

peter.

volvo xc90t6/coachman laser 590/4 running at 80%

They may be the facts as you see them, that does Not make them written in stone, Yes not all Bailey vans are going to have as many faults as mine or Gaz40's or perhaps all the other guys I've spoken to, but at the prices we pay there should be NO faults, I pay out similar for a car and I expect NO Faults, Apathetic attitudes let manufacturers get away with producing shoddy goods, If everyone had your attitude then perhaps we would still have a British car industry, Four out of thirteen is acceptable so don't worry folks you'll be OK, right up until you get one of the Four. But you are entitled to your own opinion and I hope someone who is waiting for there New Bailey will be reassured by your post, But if you take my advice people Check out your Bailey with a fine tooth comb, and if you find anything wrong do not except it, You may have to wait a bit longer but at least you'll be on the road with no problems when you do finally get your Pride and Joy. And if as Bailey have told us the problems we have had with our Olympus have been circulated around the production team, and if a backside or two has been kicked then just maybe the fact that problems being aired on this and other forums could just stop some other family having the grief of a brand new Bailey that should never have left the factory in such a state.

And as for being fair to Bailey, Don't you think that should work the other way round, Ha I Forget, Im not a Bailey Customer. ...Just an Owner

Edited by saxon

the thread is entitled - Bailey Build Quality The Facts --

All that can be seen in the first post is a perception of what we all have read - nothing to do with facts. .

In fact - we don't know the "facts" as no one will tell any one.

-- no one will say how many vans are damaged on the production line and fixed and sold on

-- no one will say how many vans are returned to the works with defects prior to being accepted by the end user

-- no one will say how many vans have suffered damage to the body shell

We only have knowledge of what we all can seeand read in this and several other caravan forums

Dealers have - it would appear a code of silence.

Manufacturers say - it is all in the mind.

Owners the actual end user and purchasers - complain that the caravan build quality is poor - in this and other forums on line.

•  
    -- with doors falling of - seals missing - worktops damaged - denting to the body shell - repainted body works - etc etc

My self I would prefer to listen to people who are expressing their experiences of what THEY have found, and from that draw my own conclusions.

It is only from listening to REAL peoples actual experiences that we will gain - over and above all the sales hype and protestations of interested parties

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Going through the various posts, there are only four people who have had a bad experience.

Maybe so but that does NOT mean there are only 4 people who have had a shoddy van. I have not posted on this subject 'cos my problems are minor compared to those 4 but the half-dozen failings on my van are major to me.

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

I'm not a Bailey owner but I feel entitled to make a comment about caravan construction as a whole. A browse through the manufacturer-named sites does indicate that far too many of us put up with what would be regarded as sub standard products in any other field.

Why should caravanners be "delighted" when on delivery they find "only a few niggles,soon put right" etc?Let alone those of us who have to put up with serious problems which occur after,or on,delivery.

There really does need to be some sort of J. D. Power survey for caravans.

Maybe then manufacturers would sit up,take notice and really set to improving QC procedures.

Well rehearsed points,I know,but it is something I feel strongly about.

Sorry but Bailey should not be supplying vans to the dealers with many f these issues and faults. IMO, it shows a complete disregard of the customer (not the dealer!). They clearly think it is acceptable to supply a "new" van which has dents in panels that have been filled and resprayed, with poor quality cupboard fitting, with extra holes in the floor, with window locks installed the wrong way round, with patterns on material on cusions wonky, with hobs that don't work, with bumps in floor under covering, etc etc etc.

I really don't understand why you are trying to gloss over these issues. These issues are not just occasional incidences of poor QA. They seem to have a constant issue with QA and poor customer service and I think that it needs to be said and needs to be pointed out to potential owners. If current owners don't have these issues then why are they worried? They should just get on with enjoying their van. However, I do believe that Bailey QA is very poor indeed and I don't think that people should have to accept substandard products from Bailey.

As for people only having "minor" problems. .. they should have ANY problems yet it seems acceptable for Bailey to supply vans with a constant stream of so called "minor" problems. Bailey should take their QA more seriously and delivery vans that don't have all these issues.

2013 Lunar Delta RS. Based Saltash, Cornwall

Why isn't there a "What Caravan?" similar to "What Car?" I believe that "What Car" is a more independent publication and respected as such by the public and the trade. If there was such a publication then data on new caravans could be collated and analysed.

When a poor quality design and build car is identified it gets a fair amount of media attention - it's a pity they don't appear to be very interested in caravans.

As has been stated on other threads the Caravan magazines rely on advertising and cannot be objective.

Until we have independent surveys we can only rely on forums like this.

Sums it up nicely. I think Bailey have brought a lot of the Pegasus critiscm on through their own failure to accept and take retrospective action over the dent issues.

Go Caravan Magazine Sep 10 – News and Stuff Page 10

Following concerns from owners of Pegasus & Olympus about front end stone dents, the manufacture is looking at design solutions to prevent a re-occurrence of this problem, by providing additional protection.

Bailey envisages this will be available as production and retro – fit item, for all Alu – Tech models.

The above is edited highlights the original is a bit more log winded.

Also star letter in same issue is with regard to unsatisfied Pegasus owner.

DSFCMCF

Bailey Senator S5 Carolina 2006 & Ford S-Max 2. 0 TDCI 2012, 2010 Chevrolet Captiva 2. 0 VCDI AWD

the new protec cover solves the denting issue, brilliant, and had several alutech owners interested in them on site this last 2 days.

ex-alutech :angry: owner - now rehabilitated and happy :)

To put in my tuppence worth, I'm more than happy with the Peg. It's roomy, bright and comfortable, tows well and ideally meets our needs.

Yes, I have has several issues and I list them below. The van's been back to the dealer twice and mostly everythings Ok now.

Problems that I would consider build issues and should have been picked up at the factory : -

- One flyscreen would not pull down due to it being trapped under frame.

- Kitchen flyscreen would not stay down due to wrong tension.

- Draught from around fridge.

- One of the front transfers had dirt under it.

- Blob of mastic in awning rail.

- Washroom door rubbing at top of frame.

- Wet locker door very tight to open and close.

Problems that relate to fitted equipment and that Bailey need to sort it with their suppliers: -

- Ultrastore would not stay on when on gas (fault appeared during our 3rd outing. Dealer could not replicate but from the internet it appears to be a condensation issue on the circuit board).

- Gas rings not staying alight (ongoing problem).

- Electric toilet circuit board dropped.

What I consider design issues:-

- Excessive noseweight when unladen.

- Swarf appearing in light fittings and in cupboards after every trip. (Should stop/reduce in time)

- Dents to the front. Have collected 5 or so after about 1000 miles.

From reading other posts it would seem that Bailey are not unique in sending out caravans with faults which is a depressing state of affairs in the caravan industry. I have only had one previous experience of buying a new van but that was over 20 years ago when vans had a lot less things in them to go wrong. The only problem I recall it did have was that the front window cracked as it was basically too big, being the full width of the van and couldn't take the air pressure when motorway driving.

Having bought a new car last year, I can appreciate how few, or should I say no, issues I had from Ford. It would be ideal if the caravan industry could aim to achieve this level of quality.

I would say that the issues being highlighted on this forum should not put people off buying an Alu-tec van. Just be aware of what the problems are and go over the van with a fine tooth comb before taking delivery.

Towcar - Ford S-Max 2. 0 TDCI

Caravan - Pegasus 534

I would like to ask that you read my original post carefully before replying and not attribute to me things I did not say. Also read it in context of the current debate about Bailey's quality control issues. I am not trying to defend the Bailey or the industry.

I did not say that it is acceptable for vans to be delivered with faults. It is not. One van is too many. However that is not a problem unique to Bailey but to the industry as a whole. If you look at posts on this forum, then no manufacturer is exempt from criticism. It is something the industry needs to address. Until they do, I agree with Saxon, it is important to go over your new van with a fine tooth comb.

You cannot draw the conclusion from postings on this forum that four out of thirteen vans are delivered defective because it is not representative of the owners of Pegasus and Olympus as a whole. The only conclusion you can draw is that on this forum of those who have taken the trouble to post, there appear to be four unhappy owners and nine satisfied ones.

Like others, I believe that what is needed is independent data so that we can compare manufacturers and know what is actually happening.

That is the only way we will know for sure the extent of the problem and which manufacturers are the worst. unfortunately no one seems to want to take on the manufacturers even Chris Gosling.

The purpose of my posting was to try and deal with what many people are perceiving from reading these threads and to suggest that what been posted on these forums does not seem to justify phrases like Bailey have a constant issue with quality control and customer service.

At the end of the day everyone will draw their own conclusions but I was attempting to reassure those who have ordered Baileys and think that their van will turn out to be riddled with defects. It probably won't.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

At the end of the day everyone will draw their own conclusions but I was attempting to reassure those who have ordered Baileys and think that their van will turn out to be riddled with defects. It probably won't.

poolebob

I can't understand why YOU were 'attempting to reassure' others. Your statement of only four is in my opinion/experience incorrect. If anyone needs to reassure us it is Bailey with a statement that they will solve our problems including the Dents.

This is my fourth new Bailey and by far the most problems. Why you feel you need to post with 'The Facts' as you do not have experience of the problem but have only read about them on the Forums I don't know. So perhaps you would be better posting on things you do know about rather than belitteling our real problems

Dave

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

I'm not sure that what the OP has stated can be considered 'fact'. You cant base facts on the relatively few Bailey customers who are members on this forum. For fact you'd need to know by what percentage Bailey customers are represented here in relation to how may vans were sold as a whole.  

I'm a Bailey 'customer'. And in all honesty I'm happy with our van. As i was with the last van, both of which bought brand new. Having said that both vans were of normal construction, meaning not alutech.  

In my opinion, the alutech vans have been rushed to market without proper testing, hence the denting problem. I think this has unfortunately left resources stretched on the other normally constructed vans and hence the whole range has suffered.  

I don't think you can completely compare buying a caravan to buying a car. Chassis, and running gear yes, but bodywork and interior no. I think comparing to motor-home construction is a better option, and the ones I've seen seem much better build than caravans in general.  

Teething problems i have had with my vans have been things that could only come to light upon a few months of use and in fairness to Bailey they have been dealt with pretty well.

I feel for Saxon, he's certainly been through the mill with his van, but you could go to almost any other forum and find a couple of people who have had the same experience with another product. (We own a Renault, trust me i know about shoddy build quality. Looking for a gearbox at the moment!)

Sorry to make a sweeping generalization, but i think its the way of the world. Quality is disappearing in all industries for the sake of saving a few quid or a bit of time. Activists against this like saxon, are actually doing us all a favor by letting these companies know that it wont be accepted.

There will also be another reason for this drastic drop in build quality. ......... 

If Bailey are anything like the Train Company i work for, then since the start of the recession, they will be have been cutting back on everything. I would bet that the staff aren't quite as happy, or as secure in their jobs as previously. Morale drops, so does build quality.  

this site is for people with problems getting together for help and peace of mind

i dont care what make you buy, 1 bad caravan is just not good enough, until we all stand up and say enough is enough

this will carry on. good on people who tell it like it is, i feel for everyone who has been disapointed with there caravans

as have i,i think if you have nothing wrong with a new van, weather it be big or small you are lucky in deed

Edited by ncmorgan

Honda crv ex 2. 2 manual

elddis 20/6 2017

I have no idea why the OP is defending Bailey in this way. Yes, it is endemic throughout the UK caravan market but that does not justifying falsely reassuring others. The OP has no evidence one way or the other so his is just an opinion. I am sure others can make their own minds up without you doing it for them.

The fact that Bailey is not alone in turning out substandard vans does not mean that we shouldn't comment. Bailey clearly do have a QA problem and a clear management attitude problem towards their customers and I feel that it is perfectly acceptable for everyone to have their say. .. everyone is entitled to their own opinion, including the OP, but I think it is irresponsible to reassure others that there is no problem without evidence.

2013 Lunar Delta RS. Based Saltash, Cornwall

The posters with problems have certainly done me a favour as we have changed our vans quite frequently and would have probably had a Pegasus or looked at a Unicorn but we are holding on to our Indiana for a while to see what happens. IMHO its outrageous to accept that you need to design an addon to stop denting but not rectify the dents in already sold vans. We saw an Airstream at Halfway Inn near Newton Abbot and that had alloy protectors on the corners so it should have seemed likely to the designers that they would need something to stop this.

Bailey Indiana S. 6 and Hyundai i800 auto

this site is for people with problems getting together for help and peace of mind

i dont care what make you buy, 1 bad caravan is just not good enough, until we all stand up and say enough is enough

this will carry on. good on people who tell it like it is, i feel for everyone who has been disapointed with there caravans

as have i,i think if you have nothing wrong with a new van, weather it be big or small you are lucky in deed

Totally agree. Also,by putting pressure on( British) manufacturers we are not being unfair. The issues are genuine and I/we want our manufacturers to survive and prosper. It continues to be a cliche I know; but remember our car industry?Today's caravan manufacturers are much,much better than that, but so are the competitors. ...and improving every day. British caravans are better in concept than any others IMHO,but. ...... in Quality control???I genuinely don't know,but I'm pretty sure they're not BETTER than others.

I have no idea why the OP is defending Bailey in this way. Yes, it is endemic throughout the UK caravan market but that does not justifying falsely reassuring others. The OP has no evidence one way or the other so his is just an opinion. I am sure others can make their own minds up without you doing it for them.

The fact that Bailey is not alone in turning out substandard vans does not mean that we shouldn't comment. Bailey clearly do have a QA problem and a clear management attitude problem towards their customers and I feel that it is perfectly acceptable for everyone to have their say. .. everyone is entitled to their own opinion, including the OP, but I think it is irresponsible to reassure others that there is no problem without evidence.

I don't want to defend Bailey about the build Quality on the alutech vans, the van I am waiting for the faults are all down to the dealer, its a demo model and marks have been caused by people looking round, plus who ever cleans them on the forecourt uses a brush to clean the windows causing the swirl marks. Of course if Stevie Wonder when he did the PDI had seen them would have been no problem.

Lunar Delta RS, Ford Explorer. Ford Ranger

the facts.

some manufacturers are better than others.

bailey still outsell all other manufacturers.

bailey aftersales are good, but not perfect.

caravans do leave all factories with some faults, the majority of which are very small.

the dealer should reject caravans which they themselves cannot repair and if they are repairable, they should be repaired before the customer receives the caravan.

some dealers are better than others with their PDI`s

some dealers are better than others with aftersales and resolving problems.

bailey are addressing the issue with dents.

bailey do listen.

when you do have an issue, please make sure your supplying dealer resolves it to your satisfaction. it is their responsibility to act on your behalf and to fight for your rights with any manufacturer. this is were the problem rests. some dealers will take your money and run, but as long as people keep going back for a "bargain" these same dealers will carry on fleecing customers.

this week alone i have heard the same story from numerous customers who bought from two particular dealers. they both have appalling reputations for service and aftersales but they still buy from them. when will some people learn?

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

Sorry Reads,

I disagree with your statement below.

"it is their responsibility (the dealer) to act on your behalf and to fight for your rights with any manufacturer"

Wrong,

The purchasers contract is with the Dealer and the Dealer only (right or wrong) Legally and in a court of law, it is the dealers responsibility to resolve the issues, The purchaser fights for his or her rights with the Dealer and the dealer must not bring your dispute in front of the manufacturer on your behalf.

When the Dealer tries to bring in the manufacturer with your complaint its stalling and wasting time and complicates the issue when in court. If you claim against the Dealer and it is successful, the Dealer must then in turn claim against the manufacturer for their loss. Remember Mr Howard's statement "the Dealers are our customers"

Be very, very careful when a Dealer says "I need to talk to the manufacturer and get these issues resolved for you" when it comes to court it clouds your claim and can go against you by letting the dealer bring in a third party.

I actually feel a little bit sorry for my Dealer, we have in the past, had excellent service from them, just a little pi$$ed of with them that they missed the bigger issues on the PDI but I think the whole caravan with its faults was overwhelming and should of never had left the Bailey factory.

Nice bit of Marketing again Reads, I will not be heading up north to buy a caravan very soon.

I'm not having a pop just at Reads, but "lambs to the slaughter" and all that.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Poolebob - From where do you take your facts from, direct experience of these Alu-Tech caravans. Your a braver man than me to give assurance of a manufactures quality to prospective purchasers, other than you yourself being the manufacturer.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I will keep on battling and if other people can learn from my experience, all the better.

Gaz40

The main thing is, Know your rights, When Mr Howard says your contract is with you dealer and not Bailey he is right, It wasn't how Bailey put themselves forward when I visited the factory, far from it they portrayed themselves as a caring forward thinking company at home in the 21st century, now the Poo has hit the fan we dive down behind the sale of goods act and cry foul. Well you can't have it both ways so lets stop pretending, The facts Ladies and Gentlemen is as plain as the nose on your face, something has slipped, the build standard is not what it was, The Caravans are not the same quality as they were, and lies are being told to Buyers. The amount of faults in production is unacceptable,and the design flaws are the same. Your told your buying a replacement for one van and it turns out to be another. Bailey did not get to be the so called best sellers through turning out trash so why start now? Why has a reputable company nose dived in the quality stakes, when this happens you ask yourself, Are they getting the sales up and then selling out? Has there been a change of control at the company? No facts there just puzzled musings of a once Stupidly loyal Bailey whoops nearly said Customer, Owner, so keep on waffling on about it's only a few vans with faults and thats OK. NO IT'S DAMNED WELL NOT, It may have been OK in the past, well not any more. Now we can compare notes, and the Internet lets me talk to people all over the country, no more hiding the facts and covering the faults as was done in the past, and if you don't like it you had better learn to lump it because it's not going away, And if you look on the bright side, put some good quality service or product out there it will get get noticed, the Archery and Fishing industries found this out years ago, and most of the dross has fallen by the wayside, So why not let the caravan industry pick up the gauntlet of change, instead of throwing down the teddy

Edited by saxon

i am fully aware of consumer rights and i do not need an clarification.

yet again my comments are taken out of context and it is becoming a bit monotonous. so again i will now refrain from continuing to post on this thread.

Edited by Reads

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year