Sign in to follow this  
jamesrussell

Help

Hi Everyone

arrived in Grau du roi at asite called camp du soliel bit disapointed packed in like sardines (and expensive for what you get)

Tried getting on beach had to pay

eventually found one near marina ok ish

I dont want to sound ungrateful but its seems like a warmer blackpool and very commercial just like how cornwall has become.

Can anyone help in getting us away from here to somewhere more like north devon less spoilt

up to now we have stayed on municipal sites through france and have enjoyed every minute.

Left Aquessac this morning due to heavy rain would have stayed longer.

So again could you help I think maybe moving more west is best I dont know, We will be traveling back up to my cousins in Gourdon so thats why I said west.

Waiting by computer for help.

ps Val are you out there!!

James, so sorry you're disappointed with Grau du Roi, but you're actually in the Port Camargue part, which is the newer marina area - the older part of the 'real' Grau du Roi is nicer - though it is a busy touristy place in high season with lots of tourist 'tat' shops operating then. We've stayed at two sites there, Jardins de Tivoli with private bathrooms, and Camping L'Eden but both are likely to be expensive. I don't know which beach yo've found, though, where you have to pay. If you're staying around for a day or two then walk around the beach to the older part of Le Grau du Roi and see what you think.

What about further inland where there are some smaller sites which are likley to be cheaper - friends stayed near St Laurent d'Aigouze - then try the beaches to the other side of Grau du Roi, towards Le Boucanet which you may find more to your liking -though maybe not. Park at Le Port de Pecheurs in Grau du Roi to explore the older part of town (but North Devon it isn't, sorry).

If you do decide to stick around there, then Aigues Mortes is worth a visit - a walled town, you can walk around the walls - though go early because parking may be crazy. Your children may see flamingoes in the water at the road side on the way there. A day trip into the Camargue is worth doing to, especially if you can cross the river Petit Rhone on the free (tiny) car ferry and head out to St Maries de la Mer (again touristy - but half of France will be there at the same time as you). Take precautions against the mosquitos thos.

If you'd rather go further west then Grau d'Agde is nice (but remember we've only been recently in low season, and again it may be too busy and touristy for you in peak season) - there are some smaller campsites alongside the Herault river - and on the Le Tamarissiere side of the river - and we liked the beaches there too (but again in low season).

Otherwise, somewhere near Gruissan but again it's likely to be very busy, and touristy in high season.

You're not likely to find anywhere like North Devon down there, unfortunately! If you do want scenic, you're better off inland somewhere - though you may have to go quite a long way before reaching anywhere very scenic.

Edited by ValA

All campsites in the South of France anywhere near the beach will, I suspect, feel like that. They will also likely be fully booked so it seems likely that you will need to go inland to find somewhere with more room and some peace and quiet.

David

James - had another look in my Caravan Europe (bible - and their comments in brackets) at sites nearby, if you still want beaches there are: (prices are at 2009 rates)

Aigues Mortes - Camping a la Ferme (Loup), Le Mas de Plaisance, 04 66 53 92 84 (Excellent peaceful site, set in marshes, good bird-watching, superb sanitary facilities,, very helpful owners) 17. 00 euros

Grande Motte - Camping le Petite Motte 04 67 56 54 75 (lovely walk to beach through avenue of trees and footbridge over roads, very good)16. 30 euros

Lunel - none of the sites get any sort of review but there are three mentioned, Les Amandiers, Le Mas de l'isle, and Camping le Fou du Roi.

When we've been to Le Grau du Roi recently we've usually stayed at Le Boucanet (campsite) - which is VERY expensive in peak season, but for us the beach adjacent to the site compensated - safe, not too crowded, but sadly not like North Devon.

Perhaps worth a run around in the car, just to check them out?

As David says, unfortunately right down by the sea, sites are more crowded, particularly the cheaper ones where pitches tend to be smaller - but those above are slightly more inland, and a short drive to the beaches if that's what your girls want. I'd certainly give the beaches nearer to the old part of the town of Grau du Roi a try first, before moving on - but if it's not what you want. .........!

When we've been to Le Grau du Roi recently we've usually stayed at Le Boucanet (campsite) - which is VERY expensive in peak season, but for us the beach adjacent to the site compensated - safe, not too crowded, but sadly not like North Devon, and we always used Camping Cheques there, so only around £12. 00 per night when we last visited!

Had a thought that if you're wanting to head back inland on the route to your cousins (Gourdon) then there are municipal sites in St Chinian, and Roquebrun - which are out that way, using the non-toll route rather than the autoroute, plus there's a nice site at St Pons de Thomieres, Les Cerisiers du Jaur, 04 67 95 30 33 - 22. 00 euros (excellent site, near river Jaur, warm welcome, friendly very helpful owners, very good sanitary facilities, an oasis!') You can carry on from there towards Mazamet, then Albi, and then wind your way back to the Dordogne area. I'd recommend Carcassone for a visit, but perhaps not at this time of year, when it's likely to be very crowded, and very hot indeed.

At Agde, a bit further west but still on the coast, I can highly recommend Camping Neptune, which is alongside the Herault river, and more expensive - but a nice site and perhaps worth it for a few days - however, it's likely to be busy there too (tel: 04 67 94 23 94) but perhaps worth a phone call. Beaches at Grau d'Agde and across the river at La Tamarissiere, where Camping Europe mentions Camping La Tamarissiere.

I hope you find something. I'm glad the earlier part of your holiday was successful, and perhaps if you accept that it's not North Devon, you may find something to love about the area - we certainly have, and we've been back many times. Yes it's wild, sometimes windy, dusty, and with mosquitoes, but we love the wildness of the Camargue, the long beaches towards Le Boucanet, the restaurants alongside the Vidourle river, even the little lighthouse at the end - and we always find something new to see around there.

hi val

while i can get internet thanks for advise we went to find bucanet and spent day on beach very nice

we have tried to find site outside grau de roi where your friends stayed we think its fluer de camargue we are going to see if we can stay there if not we will move on

I will keep you informed

James

hi val

while i can get internet thanks for advise we went to find bucanet and spent day on beach very nice

we have tried to find site outside grau de roi where your friends stayed we think its fluer de camargue we are going to see if we can stay there if not we will move on

I will keep you informed

James

Try Le Paradis at Serignan, if you can get in.

have a look at neptune at grau d`agde. .may be booked though but a decent enough site

have a look at neptune at grau d`agde. .may be booked though but a decent enough site

Update we have found a municipal site called la pinede at lozie corbier or something like that any way its on the way to Carcasson.

went to the cite today what a smashing place on way back stopped off at Trebe and watched the boats going through canal locks.

Staying another 2 nights and then moving on I would like to pop into spain seeing as we are so close but wife not so confidant.

WhatI do know is we will want to visit my cousins in Gourdon so the idea is to aim for Toulouse so any recommendations not near caravan and map at present so is Albi etc on way?

oh dear battery going p on a hill near reception wish i had a 60 metre extension lead

see you later

I think you mean Lezignan Corbieres. This summer we went that way when going to our friends house south of Carcassone, and we too stopped at Trebes for lunch, and sat alongside the canal on the corner just after the bridge, watching the boats. We bought our caravan magazines from the little Maison de Presse nearby, and a baguette from the boulangerie. We were also almost tempted to have a meal in one of the little restaurants overlooking the Canal du Midi.

If you're heading towards Albi, then you'd probably go north towards Mazamet and Castres, then to Albi. In the past we stayed at a nice little site at Brousses et Villaret, just off the D118, called Le Martinet Rouge. It has huge rocks dotted around the campsite, and a fishing pond in an old mill nearby. It's been 'developed' since we were there, looking at the website, as on our visit it had a huge inflatable pool, with waterslide, but above ground - my sons loved sliding along the fat inflated sides and into the pool!

The nearest bit of Spain to you is up towards Andorra, via Foix, and Ax les Thermes. We've stayed at Tarascon sur Ariege at Le Pre Lomard(that's on the French side) but from there you can do a run through Andorra and a drive down into Spain without the caravan. If you want to stay in Spain for a few days then I'd suggest the best area is the Bay of Roses or the northern Costa Brava - but if you want to do that area thenyou're probably best going back towards Narbonne and that way into Spain.

Edited by ValA