Best Tow Car On Road And Off Road

DOUGGIE

I have to agree the Landrover discovery is a good towcar, but instead I own two Landrover Freelanders the TD4 station wagon three years old owned from new. Also the Freelander XEDI station wagon which is also a diesel rover engine, this is 5 years old.

Both Tow the Bailey Ranger 500/5 like a dream, and we have never had touch wood!!!! any problems with our freelanders, the main problems are the petrols and the two door hardback models.

Also the diesel freelanders arnt juicy on fuel or expensive to run.

I used to own a Mitsubishi Shogun Eqquippe 3. 2 DID, now that was expensive to run, till I got on the motorway and flicked cruise control on. They are beautiful 4 x 4 motors. B)

I have to agree the Landrover discovery is a good towcar, but instead I own two Landrover Freelanders the TD4 station wagon three years old owned from new. Also the Freelander XEDI station wagon which is also a diesel rover engine, this is 5 years old.

Both Tow the Bailey Ranger 500/5 like a dream, and we have never had touch wood!!!! any problems with our freelanders, the main problems are the petrols and the two door hardback models.

Also the diesel freelanders arnt juicy on fuel or expensive to run.

I used to own a Mitsubishi Shogun Eqquippe 3. 2 DID, now that was expensive to run, till I got on the motorway and flicked cruise control on. They are beautiful 4 x 4 motors. B)

2026[/snapback]

Also forgot to tell you the freelanders are also great for off-roading!!!!!

At Cropton Forest near Pickering, we pulled a Frontera out of the mud, his Auto-locking hubs, locked the tyres in situ, despite being out of gear and the handbrake off.

I thought that the Freelanders used the BMW diesel engine.

You are lucky if you have not had any problems with your freelanders.

I had a new model TD4 for 8 months and finally decided to get rid when the fuel pump packed up in France. The french dealer stole the locking wheel nut. (You have to remove a wheel to replace the fuel pump) Landrover assist did not want to know about the French Dealer and I had to drive home knowing that if I got a puncture I could not change the wheel.

I won't list the problems I had with the english dealer when the car was new because it would take me all day.

That said a great tower and excellent off road. (Until you break down.)

Pete.

There are a lot of 4 x 4's which get stuck that are very capable off road vehicles. Half the time its down to drivers lack of knowledge of driving a 4 x 4 and TYRES.

That said even though I drive what I class to be a superb off road vehicle I know that it excells in some situations and not others, at the end of the day it does what I need it to do and does it well.

PS one of the best 4 x 4 vehicles I have had the pleasure to drive (off road) was a little Suzuki Ryno it went places I didn't think possible :blink: but it weighs less than my van so its not an option. :D

Paul

Pajero in action

http://photobucket. com/albums/1003/worthy/...nt=100_0676. jpg

(broadband only 725k)

Hi

I have a Freelander and will sing its praises as a tow car and solo. Collected from Holland (saving in excess of £2500) March 2002 no major problems to date. Great diesel engine.

I am going over to Germany in March to pick up a Hobby 540 UFe with a WS 3000H coupling system - Does anybody have any experience with this coupling and the Freelander (Fittied with Witter tow bar and ordinary towball) Can I fit a 30mm spacer for clearance of the bumper and will the coupling foul on the spare wheel?

All advice greatly appreciated

We had to have a 30mm spacer on our towball on our Freelander and it was still difficult to hitch up in a straight line because of the sparewheel. Best to reverse to your van at a 45 degree angle. Then you will have no problems with the stabiliser arm on the caravan.

Pete

There are a lot of 4 x 4's which get stuck that are very capable off road vehicles.   Half the time its down to drivers lack of knowledge of driving a 4 x 4 and TYRES.  

That said even though I drive what I class to be a superb off road vehicle I know that it excells in some situations and not others, at the end of the day it does what  I need it to do and does it well.

PS one of the best 4 x 4 vehicles I have had the pleasure to drive (off road) was a little Suzuki Ryno it went places I didn't think possible :blink:  but it weighs less than my van so its not an option. :D

Paul

Pajero in action

http://photobucket. com/albums/1003/worthy/...nt=100_0676. jpg

(broadband only 725k)

2081[/snapback]

When Clarkeson got it stuck I pulled him out with my Reliant Robin Turbo!

:D

You can not reason with an unreasonable person.

We had to have a 30mm spacer on our towball on our Freelander and it was still difficult to hitch up in a straight line because of the sparewheel. Best to reverse to your van at a 45 degree angle. Then you will have no problems with the stabiliser arm on the caravan.

Pete

2179[/snapback]

Yes BUT with what coupling.

Pete.

Volvo

Hello

I've just picked up a new TD4 Freelander sport p, 3 Door.

Having sold a Z3 to get a sensible car yet I still wanted something that I could take the top off. ..and tow. ..and do a bit of greenlaning.

I read a lot about reliability however it seems the petrol 1. 8's are pretty bad?

why should a 3 door be more un reliable than a 5 door??

Without getting my manual out (how lazy) does anyone know what I can tow. ..

btw I will be towing a freedon for starters so that should be fine?

cheers

Cheers Pete,

Guess your not over keen having had a bad one? but this can be said about most cars if your unlucky, my previous Z3 had its fair share of problems :( .

The dealer seems good so far and 3 yr free servicing and breakdown cover. ..a my need it??? ooh well such is. .there were no other 3 door 4x4's that you can take the top off :)

Cheers

Cheers Pete,

Guess your not over keen having had a bad one? but this can be said about most cars if your unlucky, my previous Z3 had its fair share of problems :( .

The dealer seems good so far and 3 yr free servicing and breakdown cover. ..a my need it??? ooh well such is. .there were no other 3 door 4x4's that you can take the top off :)

Cheers

2316[/snapback]

The hardback model freelanders tend to leak, make sure you check the security box in the boot that tends to fill with water!!!!

We had a standard towbar on our freelander. (With the biggest spacer as mentioned above.)

It was possible to hitch up in a straight line but you had to 'shake' the hitch on because the stabiliser arm could not be fully lifted up.

Pete.

I love my old 300 Tdi 3 door disco as a tow vehicle. it is "old technology" which means I don't need a degree in computing to get the bonnet open and when I do I can recognise the bits that are found there.

It will pull down the side of a house if I ask it to and is (relatively) inexpensive to run. :D . ..not the mot powerful or fastest car in the world, but good 'n' solid with mostly alloy body panels.

I uprated the rear springs recently, though, to stop the headlights lighting up the rooftops when towing at night! This was a straightforward enough job not even requiring the use of spring compressors.

JanZ

Sorry. ..I know its a "soft roader" but the Fantastic Santa Fe tows well and has run without a glitch so far (9 months)...then theres always the FIVE year warranty to fall back on.

Now there a manufacturer that has faith in its product! ;)

Pete

I have never used a spacer for the towbar, all is fine when coupling up to my bailey- with the door closed, also I have the leaf stabiliser and I can lift that onto the mount on the caravan fine, and also I reverse up to the van and couple up in a straight line. Thats both on my S-reg Freelander and my 51-reg freelander