Sign in to follow this  
tim

3 - Way Caravan Fridge

We were at a rally the weekend and the people next to us were having problems lighting their fridge.

After trying for some time, they decided to try and run it on 12 volt for a while.

The question is, how do you do this?

They put there "red" 12 volt switch on, but the switch did,nt light up, so assumed it was'nt working.

Out of interest I tried my fridge, I know when the van is connected to the car, and engine running, the red switch if on, lights up.

However, with the caravan standing alone, it does'nt work.

Not that I would ever want to do it, but is there a way to run it of your battery?

Thanks

Tim

12 volt operation is only available from the tow car when the engine is running. The battery symbol is hopelessly misleading.

HTH

Agree with the above

Edited by Rita

We were at a rally the weekend and the people next to us were having problems lighting their fridge.

After trying for some time, they decided to try and run it on 12 volt for a while.

They put there "red" 12 volt switch on, but the switch did,nt light up, so assumed it was'nt working.

Out of interest I tried my fridge, I know when the van is connected to the car, and engine running, the red switch if on, lights up.

Not that I would ever want to do it, but is there a way to run it of your battery?

Thanks

Tim

as as has been said,only works when connected to the car and car engine is running. and, the fridge switch is turned to battery indication. theres NO WAY the fridge works off battery from the caravan. biggrin.gif

Well you could run some temporary wiring and run the fridge from the battery but fridges take in excess of 10amps so even with an 110aH battery, this would last less than half a day. Hence the reason its not used.

The 12v supply from the car, with the engine running, is run direct to the fridge independent of the caravan battery.

The only way to run the fridge when there is no mains electric available is to run it on gas.

Brian

Hi All

Thanks for all replies.

I did guess it probaly was'nt possible, but wanted to know for sure.

Thanks again

Tim

Thanks

Tim

Even if you did run the fridge of 12V it would be very inefective (if it is one of the more recent types). Running on 12V is only intended to maintain the existing temperature, not for permanent use (I losely quote from manufacturer's info).

Going back 15 years + the fridges were much more efficient & would even freez-up on a long journey! Nower-days they appear to be more for show than actual serious use. A bit like the other, built down to a price, gimmicks we've had foisted on us.