Caravan Covers Good Or Bad !!!!

Gareth

I know this must have been discussed on the old page but Im thinking of buying a caravan cover like the one in the towsure book breathable,water resistant but not waterproof are they a good idea. ???

I know this must have been discussed on the old page but Im thinking of buying a caravan cover like the one in the towsure book breathable,water resistant but not waterproof are they a good idea. ???

1894[/snapback]

:rolleyes: I thought so but after reading some reports about windows crazing Im not going to bother. Anyway washing it gives me somthing to do.

Guest john1215

My thoughts would be that although they are "breathable" would there be a danger of moisture being trapped somewhere that it din't ought to be and start to make its own brand of penicillin? I have a storm proof jacket that is breathable fabric, but when I wear it, I sweat buckets, where does the sweat go? not through the fabric, it stays on me.

john1215

1894[/snapback]

I used a cover for three winters and wouldn't recommend one. No matter how I tried I couldn't stop the thing from chafing, particularly on the edge of the roof. Far better to keep using the van or use Fenwicks Overwintering,it works. :blink::lol:

i used to have a breathable cover for my old car even tho they are breathable they hold

damp in badly at least wen open to air they dry out quick

When i asked the man who sees to my van he said No - he used to be a foreman for a big caravan dealer. He took me round my second hand van and showed me marks on the windows and places on the van where the shine had worn off. He said it was all due to a cover having been used. He said if I wanted it covered over winter then he had a mate with a barn ( and its not much more than where I was parking in the open) so thats where it is for the winter.

Thanks for all your all your comments concerning caravan covers. As you say, they do not seem to be a good idea after all so I have decided against buying one.

Many Thanks,

Gareth.

Hi

Baileys do recommend one cover, I posted the information on the old forum and being past my prime, my memory isn't what it used to be, so I cannot remember the name, but I am sure if you contacted Baileys by email ( which is what we did) they will tell you name asap.

Although we do not fancy using one and in fact spent an hour cleaning our van today and spent a good while chatting to a fellow vanner who was doing the same - far more sociable!

ps Fenwicks caravan cleaner is great!

Carrie

Hi

Baileys do recommend one cover, I posted the information on the old forum and being past my prime, my memory isn't what it used to be, so I cannot remember the name, but I am sure if you contacted Baileys by email ( which is what we did) they will tell you name asap.

Although we do not fancy using one and in fact spent an hour cleaning our van today and spent a good while chatting to a fellow vanner who was doing the same - far more sociable!

ps Fenwicks caravan cleaner is great!

Carrie

3497[/snapback]

Carrie's original post copied from old board by Moderator

I have now found out which caravan cover Bailey approves. The following response is from Baileys - Maria Sweet.

Hope it helps

Carrie

'It is advised that Bailey does approve a cover manufactured by Purpleline. The cover type is a Tyvek cover and for your consideration, I have quoted the telephone number and website for Purpleline.

www. purpleline. co. uk

01473 824082

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me on the helpline number 0117 3052939 or e-mail

helpline@bailey-caravans. co. uk'

I HAVE JUST RECENTLY BOUGHT A COVER FROM TOWSURE. My decision was based on two things. 1-after seeing the state of the caravans on my storage facility, there was no way I was leaving my new van open to the elements i:e bird droppings, moss, tree sap, dust from local railway. All mixed together was going to make a bit of a mess. 2- after speaking with a gent on the same site, who also had he's caravan covered by a towsure cover. I was reasured when he told me that he has had he's cover on for nearly three years, he's paintwork looked ok and he didn't have any quibles about damp. He's van is serviced every year and has no problems related to he's van being covered.

I think as long as the caravan is opened up to breath now and again there shoudn't be any probs. But I suppose everyone to there own. :blink:

Hi, I bought a cover, one of the dearer ones. I based my decision on the thousands of people that have already got them and I spoke to quite a few people with them and didn't get a bad report. Unfortunately before I had chance to fit it last year I ended up in hospital and up to now am not fit enough to clean the van and fit the cover. Being a big twin axle complete with aircon unit on the roof the wife cannot manage it herself. When I finally manage to get it fitted I will let you know how it performs.

Pete

Volvo

I bought a used van in the autumn, and later discovered it had damp ingress.

As I know I have water getting in and I wont be able to re-seal all the rails until the weather improves a bit, I've bought a cover to stop the damp getting worse.

I've used it for a few months & don't seam to be having any issue. I have a 120W greenhouse heater in the van running 7pm to 7am near where the boards are soft from the damp & I can see no signs of condensation in/outside the van.

Once I've repaired the van I'll probably continue using it. As the van is parked on our drive, I feel a little more secure with the vans identity hidden & the extra effort required to remove the cover before nicking the van may be just enough (along with the other reqular anti-theft deterants) to persuade the thieving scum to move on elsewhere!

The misses thinks it looks better on the drive covered too.

Neal

I bought a used van in the autumn, and later discovered it had damp ingress.

As I know I have water getting in and I wont be able to re-seal all the rails until the weather improves a bit, I've bought a cover to stop the damp getting worse.

I've used it for a few months & don't seam to be having any issue. I have a 120W greenhouse heater in the van running 7pm to 7am near where the boards are soft from the damp & I can see no signs of condensation in/outside the van.

Once I've repaired the van I'll probably continue using it. As the van is parked on our drive, I feel a little more secure with the vans identity hidden & the extra effort required to remove the cover before nicking the van may be just enough (along with the other reqular anti-theft deterants) to persuade the thieving scum to move on elsewhere!

The misses thinks it looks better on the drive covered too.

Neal

3988[/snapback]

Now there's a good question. Do thives nick vans with covers? If so, what do they do with them? Cut them off?

Sorry, three questions.

Mike

In South africa which has a harsher climate than Britain many caravanners had "roof" only covers. This was a dual type tie down cover that only covered the roof which is the most difficult spot to reach. It could be either tied to the caravan or pegged into the ground. I am not sure but maybe the outer edges went through the channeling on either side. If pegged to the ground and with poles inserted the cover could be lifted off the top of the carvan by about 5- 6 inches thus also providing ventilation on hot days.

I have seen people who slide it forward when travelling so that it covers the front end of the van thus preventing insects etc from accummalating on the front of the van. When you got to the camp site and if you were parked under trees it would only take you a few seconds to cover your roof again against bird droppings etc and still have the necessary ventilation.

• 4 weeks later...

1894[/snapback]

Weighted cotton sheets as good ! does that help ? Keeps out the junk and lets your unit breath.

well it works for me !

Archived